Is Portland over?

Page 44 of 45« First<4142434445>
July 10th, 2023 at 7:29:15 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rquiredusername
Crime rates really aren’t arms length comparisons given widely varying level of enforcement.

I don’t know that there’s any better data point, but “it’s not that bad” is generally the perspective of upper middle class+ who’ve simply been able to separate themselves from dealing with the fallout on a day to day basis, it’s not that bad for them because they aren’t forced to deal with it. Ignorance is bliss and all.

Like me. I live in Amherst NY which has often been listed amongst the safest towns. But I can drive a mere 10 miles and be in a bad part of Buffalo which is amongst the most crime ridden areas. And 3 miles from there is the really nice, safer part of town. I’ve never been to Portland, so I’m guessing it may be similar?
July 10th, 2023 at 7:44:20 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I've never had any problems with people smashing my car windows in Portland, nor have I heard of it happening UNLESS it was during an Antifa / proud boys riot situation, then all hell would break loose.

With covid over and Trump having lost the election that sort of confrontation is a thing of the past.

I sort of miss it: I supported neither camp, but on one particular day both sides had competing rallies and I attended both, just to see wtf the fuss was about.

We did have a problem during covid of people stealing catalytic converters, but the ring-leader was arrested and that seems to have stopped.

There's a lot of shootings though.

Seems mostly black on black, and usually near the "new ghetto," i.e. between 82nd and Gresham; when the old ghetto was gentrified the blacks found a new spot to call their own and it is going to hell in a handbasket.
July 28th, 2023 at 2:15:06 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Walmart wants 0% exposure in Portland.

"Rampant shoplifting is undermining retailer profits and vaporizing jobs. Walmart announced the closure of its only store in disorder-plagued Portland, Oregon, along with four stores in crime-wracked Chicago."
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 28th, 2023 at 3:17:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Turn lemons into lemonade. Put metal bars around the city and turn it into an open air prison.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 28th, 2023 at 3:30:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Was watching a 1930s movie. There was a scene where a panhandler stopped the main character and asked for money so he could eat. The guys say, “Sure, come with me and we’ll go get you something to eat.” Panhandler balks and says, “Well…uh, I can’t leave my spot.” Main character replies, “Well when you get a day off, let me know, and we’ll go get you something to eat.”

Made me laugh out loud.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 31st, 2023 at 6:45:18 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
January 1st, 2024 at 4:32:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
Walmart wants 0% exposure in Portland.

"Rampant shoplifting is undermining retailer profits and vaporizing jobs. Walmart announced the closure of its only store in disorder-plagued Portland, Oregon, along with four stores in crime-wracked Chicago."

I was watching a video a while back from Portland and they were interviewing three white male fentanyl addicts about 25 to 30 years old. They said their habit cost $120 a day and they got the money from boosting, which is shoplifting. To get $120 cash they would have to steal hundreds of dollars of stuff a day and if these three admit to doing it how many are actually doing it. How are any stores in Portland left to be open if that's the case. This is totally unsustainable, it's going to be an old west type Ghost Town eventually which is what happens when all the businesses leave.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 6th, 2024 at 2:32:34 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Heads-up in Portland.

--------------

Shigella
Shigella is a leading cause of bacterial diarrhea worldwide, with annually 80–165 million annual cases (estimated) and 74,000 to 600,000 deaths. It is one of the top four pathogens that cause moderate-to-severe diarrhea in African and South Asian children.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shigella

--------------
January 17th, 2024 at 3:54:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Portland cold. 18 people hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning. No proper vents for gas heaters.
January 18th, 2024 at 12:47:10 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
The fine ‘anarchists’ of Portland just torched some politicians car. Threatening to do more.
Page 44 of 45« First<4142434445>