License plate collecting with the Wizard

February 6th, 2018 at 10:38:58 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
I lived in NY for years.
I remember VA because it is the ugliest thing to have it in the middle of the windshield.

I should have known that about Virginia, having lived 40 miles from it for nine years.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 11th, 2018 at 6:51:36 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
That Tom Brady license plate closed for $500. I decided to stay out of it. It was too difficult to prove a connection to Brady.
February 11th, 2018 at 12:15:54 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Wizard
That Tom Brady license plate closed for $500. I decided to stay out of it. It was too difficult to prove a connection to Brady.

I genuinely don't think you missed anything. What goes in the display? A picture of the car smashed into a tree? Brady with a black eye or two? Ugh.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 11th, 2018 at 1:07:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: beachbumbabs
I genuinely don't think you missed anything. What goes in the display? A picture of the car smashed into a tree? Brady with a black eye or two? Ugh.

Thanks for the confirmation on that decision. I couldn't find a single picture with both Brady and the license plate in it at the same time.
March 21st, 2018 at 6:22:30 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
This week is the annual ALPCA Silver State meet. It is the largest annual gathering of license plate collectors, aside from the moving national meet held in the summer.

As just one of my goals, I'm trying to get a license plate from every country in the EU. Here is my progress so far.

Country Code Have
Austria A Y
Belgium B Y
Bulgaria BG Y
Croatia HR N
Cyprus CY Y
Czech Republic CZ Y
Denmark DK N
Estonia EST N
Finland FIN N
France F N
Germany D Y
Gibraltar GBZ N
Greece GR N
Hungary H N
Ireland IRL Y
Italy I Y
Latvia LV Y
Lithuania LT Y
Luxembourg L Y
Malta M Y
Netherlands NL Y
Poland PL Y
Portugal P Y
Romania RO Y
Slovakia SK Y
Slovenia SLO Y
Spain E Y
Sweden S Y
United Kingdom GB Y

It might come as a surprise I don't have France yet. I actually do, but it's a motorcycle plate. I'm trying to do the whole set as normal car plates.
March 21st, 2018 at 10:33:55 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
This week is the annual ALPCA Silver State meet. It is the largest annual gathering of license plate collectors, aside from the moving national meet held in the summer.

As just one of my goals, I'm trying to get a license plate from every country in the EU. Here is my progress so far.

c
Country Code Have
Austria A Y
Belgium B Y
Bulgaria BG Y
Croatia HR N
Cyprus CY Y
Czech Republic CZ Y
Denmark DK N
Estonia EST N
Finland FIN N
France F N
Germany D Y
Gibraltar GBZ N
Greece GR N
Hungary H N
Ireland IRL Y
Italy I Y
Latvia LV Y
Lithuania LT Y
Luxembourg L Y
Malta M Y
Netherlands NL Y
Poland PL Y
Portugal P Y
Romania RO Y
Slovakia SK Y
Slovenia SLO Y
Spain E Y
Sweden S Y
United Kingdom GB Y

It might come as a surprise I don't have France yet. I actually do, but it's a motorcycle plate. I'm trying to do the whole set as normal car plates.

How is the country listed on those plates? They don’t do like we do with a state and “live free or die” on the plate. And why do they have to placard those goofy oval stickers?
The President is a fink.
March 21st, 2018 at 10:39:05 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
How is the country listed on those plates? They don’t do like we do with a state and “live free or die” on the plate. And why do they have to placard those goofy oval stickers?

The main commonality is the size and the circle of stars on the left side on a blue background. Here is a good link that answers your question: Vehicle registration plates of Europe.
March 22nd, 2018 at 6:42:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
When I was in Switzerland, I asked a few people about used license plates and they all seemed shocked to get the question, as if I asked them for a kidney. The Swiss are extremely rule abiding people and the license plates are heavily controlled by the government. I am told if one falls off your car, it is a major ordeal to get a new one. Naturally, I left the country empty handed.

I left the country on a high-speed train bound for Paris. Shortly after crossing the border into France a plain clothes officer, with three others with him, flashed a badge in my face, and began questioning me about why I was going to Paris, who was I meeting there, what was I bringing into the country, etc.. He then asked to search my luggage, which I consented to. Who knows what would have happened if he saw a Swiss license plate in there. This border control cop seemed eager to find any excuse to detain me. Had he found a license plate, I think he would have called it into his comrade in arms in Switzerland, and it may have come back as stolen or who knows what. Like I said, the Swiss are very serious about their license plates so I think I could have been in a bit of trouble if they sent me back there over this issue.

The moral of the story is to sometimes be thankful you don't score a license plate in a difficult country to find one. Collectors have been known to mail them back home, to avoid any possible trouble at customs.
March 22nd, 2018 at 7:08:02 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Wizard, do you think you would have consented to having your luggage searched if this happened in the U.S.?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 22nd, 2018 at 7:22:44 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: DRich
Wizard, do you think you would have consented to having your luggage searched if this happened in the U.S.?

No. And I say this on principle. However, I might have to make an exception, depending on the situation, like I was late for something.

I agreed in this case because I didn't know much about the rights of the police to search me in France, but believed they probably did have the right, much like people get randomly searched at customs in airports all the time and don't seem to need your permission. I do believe a country has the right to protect its borders and nobody forced me to enter France.