Black Lies Matter

September 24th, 2020 at 10:39:46 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: JCW09
The search warrants were issued
You can argue whether or not they should have been issued, but they were
I suspect that the $12M Louisville settlement means the City doesn't feel great about them with 20/20 hindsight
But that night, the officers were legally allowed to enter the home. Full Stop.
You can argue about the legality of the issuance in court after the fact.
Doesn't give you the excuse to blindly fire a shot down a dark hallway at someone you can't identify.

We seem to be confusing the legality of the cops being there with the boyfriend knowing that the cops were there legally on a warrant...or having any reason to assume same.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 24th, 2020 at 10:41:07 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
And as a firearms owner, you know the Four Cardinal Rules of Firearms Safety.
Look them up, generally #3 or #4 on the various lists is "to be sure/identify/know your target and what is in front and behind it."
When bad things happen with firearms, you can be sure someone violated one of the four rules.
Breonna Taylor's boyfriend violated one of the four and it got her killed.

Yeah, that's going to be really useful to me if I'm deer hunting, not if I think a group of people are breaking into my house at night.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 24th, 2020 at 10:52:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In Kentucky no firearms safety training required. Can’t blame the boyfriend for meeting minimum standards.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 24th, 2020 at 11:19:06 AM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: Mission146
We seem to be confusing the legality of the cops being there with the boyfriend knowing that the cops were there legally on a warrant...or having any reason to assume same.

I am not arguing the point that he should have known
I am arguing that he should have waited to pull the trigger until he knew what he was shooting at.
I can't believe that you would blindly shoot into the dark in the direction of a broken down door or broken window.
Let's hope that isn't your significant other coming home after a swing shift having lost/forgotten their keys.
You're dead asleep and they can't get you to answer your cell phone.
So they break the back door window to get in and you end up shooting them.
Or your good friend neighbor running from an attacker and seeking cover in your place
Only to be met by you blindly shooting them in the living room.
There are a myriad of reasons that someone that is not a threat might be breaking into your home.
I would hope you would hold off pulling the trigger until you knew what was going on.
Being dead asleep turns into an adrenaline dump/heightened sense of awareness pretty quickly when you hear a bump in the night.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
September 24th, 2020 at 11:20:11 AM permalink
JCW09
Quote: Mission146
Yeah, that's going to be really useful to me if I'm deer hunting, not if I think a group of people are breaking into my house at night.

C'mon Mission, it isn't the Four Cardinal Rules of Firearms Safety for Hunting.
These are in play every time you pick up a firearm.
September 24th, 2020 at 11:22:40 AM permalink
JCW09
Quote: rxwine
In Kentucky no firearms safety training required. Can’t blame the boyfriend for meeting minimum standards.

You can always blame people for their own stupidity.
He got Breonna killed that night and someday he is going to realize what he did was wrong.
That is going to be a tough cross to bear for the rest of his life.
September 24th, 2020 at 2:42:49 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I am not arguing the point that he should have known
I am arguing that he should have waited to pull the trigger until he knew what he was shooting at.
I can't believe that you would blindly shoot into the dark in the direction of a broken down door or broken window.
Let's hope that isn't your significant other coming home after a swing shift having lost/forgotten their keys.
You're dead asleep and they can't get you to answer your cell phone.
So they break the back door window to get in and you end up shooting them.

For context, his significant other was already at home, so that example is out the window. She'd try to call first. Also, call failing, she would just knock...or come to the bedroom window and knock on that (Well, throw small rocks at it, or something).

I can definitely say she would not break down the door or bust any windows.

In most cases, if someone is breaking the doors or the windows, it's going to be someone I don't really mind shooting, all things considered.

Quote:
Or your good friend neighbor running from an attacker and seeking cover in your place
Only to be met by you blindly shooting them in the living room.
There are a myriad of reasons that someone that is not a threat might be breaking into your home.
I would hope you would hold off pulling the trigger until you knew what was going on.
Being dead asleep turns into an adrenaline dump/heightened sense of awareness pretty quickly when you hear a bump in the night.

Why would the neighbor be breaking down the doors, windows, or both? Actually, how would the neighbor break the door and some windows? Also, doesn't destroying the thing(s) that would be covering you defeat the purpose of seeking cover?

In any case, places I have lived have been broken into exactly zero times with me present. I feel bad that this seems to be such a regular occurrence for you.
September 24th, 2020 at 3:23:49 PM permalink
JCW09
I actually do speak from experience, evidently you do not.
I won't be firing blindly down dark hallways in my home under any circumstances.
I didn't the time I was broken into in the middle of the night and legally had a right to after I identified what was happening.
You feel free to shoot down the dark hallways in your home at a target you haven't identified.
I hope it works out for you better than it did for Breonna Taylor and her boyfriend.
September 24th, 2020 at 3:50:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Tell your kids to never jump out of closet and scare you when you think you're alone and heard some noise in the house.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 24th, 2020 at 5:37:53 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Tell your kids to never jump out of closet and scare you when you think you're alone and heard some noise in the house.

I’m surprised if you couldn’t tell the difference between one person and multiple being in the house with busted doors and windows.

If it was only a matter of hearing only one potential intruder, just that alone gives you a little more time to process the situation and make a decision.

Although, I will say if anyone decides to hold an innocent surprise parade in the hallway in the middle of the night; they’d probably be in some trouble.