Black Lies Matter

Page 1 of 131234>Last »
September 6th, 2020 at 10:18:00 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
I don't know if any of you guys watch college football, but this video was one of the most pathetic displays I've ever seen on ESPN. (And that's saying a lot because ESPN sucks balls!)

Girly man Kirk Herbstreit started crying on national TV about "racial injustice". 🙄

Man I really hope the NCAA, NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL permanently lose their viewership.
Watching millionaires whine about inequality is a joke man........

Anyway, watch Herbstreit cry like a little biatch at the 2:08 mark:

(Oh yeah, and he's currently getting roasted in the Youtube comment section haha)

September 6th, 2020 at 11:10:39 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Shrek
Man I really hope the NCAA, NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL permanently lose their viewership.

Possibly the first thing Shrek and I have ever agreed on.

Sports.... what a waste of time.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 7th, 2020 at 7:51:23 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288

I disagree with that. Sports to me is exactly like TV shows and movies for others. It is pure entertainment but nothing more. I don't usually care who wins or loses, I just want to be entertained for a few hours. If TV shows, movies, and sports all went away I would only miss sports.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 7th, 2020 at 8:20:37 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288
Possibly the first thing Shrek and I have ever agreed on.

Agree 100% , we devote billions of dollars and countless hours watching, training and playing sports each year....

Now on a personal level physicals activity is healthy, and perhaps it is even socially healthy to watch your friends play sports and root for them.
But, spending thousands of dollars a year to watch and go to games to see professional play sports, I don't see the point. I never have.

To those comparing it to other forms of watchable entertainment, that is not quite fair.

Unlike other forms of entertainment sports cause violence (not just on the field, though that happens frequently), but between fans, it is not uncommon for fans to fight and in some cases kill each other or vandalize cars of opposing fans.... Total madness to be that much in love with a sports team that you feel the need to seek vengeance on fans of another after a loss.... There has never been a shooting between Star Trek and Stargate fans based on which one had better viewership. Sports (spectating) is a strange sector on entertainment where people feel completely on board with the team to the point where some fans will kill opposing fans after a loss, I never understood that mindset.

I have no problem with playing sports or even local leagues, but I think the obsession that people feel towards corporate leagues is beyond silly..... I also could care less if they go under. Though it is important to say "sports" is a very broad term. There are far differences in the PGA than the NFL, and far more differences between volleyball players, hokey players, and fighters than there are similarities (and with the fans that follow them). However, speaking generally, I think major corporate leagues are detrimental for a multitude of reasons (and no, I am not saying they should be banned, but they will never get my support).
September 7th, 2020 at 8:42:35 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
Agree 100% , we devote billions of dollars and countless hours watching, training and playing sports each year....

Now on a personal level physicals activity is healthy, and perhaps it is even socially healthy to watch your friends play sports and root for them.
But, spending thousands of dollars a year to watch and go to games to see professional play sports, I don't see the point. I never have.

To those comparing it to other forms of watchable entertainment, that is not quite fair.

Unlike other forms of entertainment sports cause violence (not just on the field, though that happens frequently), but between fans, it is not uncommon for fans to fight and in some cases kill each other or vandalize cars of opposing fans.... Total madness to be that much in love with a sports team that you feel the need to seek vengeance on fans of another after a loss.... There has never been a shooting between Star Trek and Stargate fans based on which one had better viewership. Sports (spectating) is a strange sector on entertainment where people feel completely on board with the team to the point where some fans will kill opposing fans after a loss, I never understood that mindset.

I have no problem with playing sports or even local leagues, but I think the obsession that people feel towards corporate leagues is beyond silly..... I also could care less if they go under. Though it is important to say "sports" is a very broad term. There are far differences in the PGA than the NFL, and far more differences between volleyball players, hokey players, and fighters than there are similarities (and with the fans that follow them). However, speaking generally, I think major corporate leagues are detrimental for a multitude of reasons (and no, I am not saying they should be banned, but they will never get my support).

Your youth is showing again Gandler, lots of movies, art performances, books etc. have caused riots and loss of life. Stunt people die on a regular basis making movies for you to watch. I expect that sports cause more problems than other entertainment but the arts are far from 0. When you get to my age most of my friends that have been runners their whole lives have to stop because their knees are screwed, so even accepted healthy individual sports have problems.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 7th, 2020 at 9:21:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler

Violence is not completely unheard of at concerts, which can happen more-or-less frequently depending on the type of concert and crowd it draws.

Speaking of paying for events, I'd probably drop a few bucks to see a battle between Star Wars fans and Star Trek fans; that would be entertaining. I'd warn the ST fans that lightsabers have better range since their phasers don't actually shoot anything.

If I had to guess, I would suggest that alcohol is in some way involved with a majority of physical altercations that occur around sporting events.

Anyway, if they understand the risks and enjoy the environment, let them have it. For my part, hockey is probably the only professional sport (of those I have watched live) that I actually prefer watching live...and even that can kind of depend on your seats. The nice thing about the arenas that I have been to is that there basically are no, 'Bad seats.'
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 7th, 2020 at 9:31:12 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: kenarman
Your youth is showing again Gandler, lots of movies, art performances, books etc. have caused riots and loss of life. Stunt people die on a regular basis making movies for you to watch. I expect that sports cause more problems than other entertainment but the arts are far from 0. When you get to my age most of my friends that have been runners their whole lives have to stop because their knees are screwed, so even accepted healthy individual sports have problems.

Not to the same extent. And, in other countries (particularly with soccer fans) it can be far worse. "Ganglike" fights between opposing fans are common.

Stuntmen and actors getting injured is an apt comparison to players getting injured. However, my larger concern is the behavior of the fans....

I can think of one book that caused riots (and possible loss of life) and that is "The Satanic Versus" , when released in the 1980s caused a massive upheaval in the Islamic world. However, this is more politically and religiously motived, it was not fans of a rival author getting upset over his success.....

I am not saying no other form of entertainment has issues clearly they do, but I don't think anyone can deny the regularly fights and riots and acts of vandalism by sports fans against rival sports fans. Its so illogical I will never understand it, I doubt I will when I am 60 either, not sure what my age has to do with it....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_violent_spectator_incidents_in_sports

I don't think there is such a list of "violent fiction reader incidents" etc....
September 7th, 2020 at 10:06:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Violence is not completely unheard of at concerts, which can happen more-or-less frequently depending on the type of concert and crowd it draws.

Rap or hip-hop are known for violence.

In Pittsburgh the Grateful Dead were de facto banned from having more than one show at a visit after fan violence in the late 1980s.

Yeah, it happens.
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2020 at 10:32:32 AM permalink
Gandler

Speaking of paying for events, I'd probably drop a few bucks to see a battle between Star Wars fans and Star Trek fans; that would be entertaining. I'd warn the ST fans that lightsabers have better range since their phasers don't actually shoot anything.

If I had to guess, I would suggest that alcohol is in some way involved with a majority of physical altercations that occur around sporting events.

Anyway, if they understand the risks and enjoy the environment, let them have it. For my part, hockey is probably the only professional sport (of those I have watched live) that I actually prefer watching live...and even that can kind of depend on your seats. The nice thing about the arenas that I have been to is that there basically are no, 'Bad seats.'

Some concerts get very violent. And, I am sure some film events may as well.
But, I think you are missing what I am saying. Violence at concerts is often gang or just ego related or just drunk fights.

Violence at sports game is tribal (yes there are some run-of-mill drunk fights as well). People will go seek out fans of opposing teams to cause harm for no logical reason.

For example if somebody is drunk/high at a concert with friends and they perceive another group as saying something negative about them and a fight breaks out, that is routine drunk fighting behavior (happens all the time at bars, etc...). Of course it is still wrong and silly, but a different level.

If somebody after the game goes stalking the streets to look for a fan of the opposing team to stab (any fan, no personal connection or perceived ego threat), that is a different level of behavior, pure tribalism.

These are totally different behaviors and types of violence. Neither is logical, but you can understand a drunken fight after an insult more than you can understand hunting fans of opposing teams....
September 7th, 2020 at 11:21:16 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
I'd probably drop a few bucks to see a battle between Star Wars fans and Star Trek fans; that would be entertaining.

No battle. Triumph the Insult Dog at a Star Wars Premier.

Page 1 of 131234>Last »