No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (16.66%)

18 members have voted

July 10th, 2020 at 5:05:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
For those Republicans who wanted an alternative to Trump, Democrats picked the least extreme candidate of all the ones running.

So, for all the bellyaching, I don't know what more you could expect from the opposition party. I doubt if the Republicans in the same position could do any better.

I think many on the left would have been happier with some other candidate even less pleasing with the right.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2020 at 5:34:16 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
For those Republicans who wanted an alternative to Trump, Democrats picked the least extreme candidate of all the ones running.

So, for all the bellyaching, I don't know what more you could expect from the opposition party. I doubt if the Republicans in the same position could do any better.

I think many on the left would have been happier with some other candidate even less pleasing with the right.

It speaks volumes that some righties are banking on Biden’s VP choice as being his downfall. Like, outside of 2008, when has a VP choice ever made one iota of difference?

If they’re waiting for a bad VP pick to help Donny’s floundering campaign, that’s a tacit admission that Biden isn’t as “weak” a candidate as they’re pretending he is.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 10th, 2020 at 5:57:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
BREAKING NEWS as the stations like to say,

Now you get to be a strategist.

Quote:
President Trump said Friday he intends to sign an executive order on immigration within the next month that he said will include a "road to citizenship" for recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

This has interesting implications for both parties. Caveat, with Trump, you never know exactly what you're going to get until you see it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2020 at 6:09:34 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: JCW09
What odds are you offering on Trump over Biden in Electoral College Votes?

I would make the bet at even money, as I am concerned about a possible humiliating performance by Biden if he submits to a debate.

I am not really looking to bet on the final result, but would make the bet for small amounts of money.

I think now I would make Biden a 50 electoral vote favorite over Trump. If I had to set a line. i think the money would split around 50-50.
July 10th, 2020 at 6:15:59 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: rxwine

So true. For a short while I thought I could actually vote for Biden, but sadly, he has been dragged so far to the left by the rest of the party. His economic plan just released is such a potential disaster for both big AND small business in our country, it is just too bad his base is unable to comprehend it. He is joining the 'free everything' wing of his party.

I think without the pandemic I would be betting on Trump instead of Biden. If Biden wasn't either senile or at least close to... he would be winning by a landslide now.
July 10th, 2020 at 6:48:41 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
You only really have to worry about any crazy ideas Biden floats if the Republicans lose the Senate.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 10th, 2020 at 7:06:29 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Dalex64
You only really have to worry about any crazy ideas Biden floats if the Republicans lose the Senate.

I've posted the same here. In general, I like when the three powers are split 2-1. The 30 seconds we had all 3 Dem we had the deficit exploding Obamacare passed. For the two years of all Repub at least there some left leaning Repubs to thwart the far right part of the Repubs from doing whatever they wanted.

For years, New York State had a Republican Senate to offset the Democrat Assembly and Governor. No more... That's how we got the ridiculous bail law..., free tuition for illegals, basically whatever Cuomo wants.....
July 11th, 2020 at 4:11:03 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
God I love her!! ❤️❤️❤️

July 11th, 2020 at 4:20:21 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Shrek
God I love her!! ❤️❤️❤️

Hopefully all the Trumpsters heed her advice and don’t vote by mail.

The rest of us will.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 11th, 2020 at 5:46:04 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Mission146
They both can get rid of it and can't get rid of it. By this, I mean that they can de facto get rid of it.

The unique thing about The Constitution is that it specifies the means by which each state acquires Electoral College votes, but The Constitution itself lacks for a mechanism that forces the EC voters to vote a certain way. It's for that reason that states can essentially decide whether or not they wish to allow for Faithless Electors (EC voters who do not vote for the plurality winner of the state, or district, as applicable).

While states cannot change the concept of the Electoral College or technically get rid of it, it can be circumvented. You would simply have to have enough states that agree (representing 270+ EC votes) to have their Electors bound to the national popular vote. In this scenario, the Electoral College would technically remain, but the winner of the election would be the plurality National popular vote winner.

That could happen, but going short of the amendment process leaves it open to change. Enough states COULD adopt a mandate to vote the national vote result BUT keeping it as just a state law as opposed to an actual constitutional amendment means that it can be reversed a lot more easily...no state by state vote needed; just one state at a time.

The ignored minority created by a the largest cities and states controlling the whole agenda would lead to backlash in the states they control and the reversal of an anti-American policy such as the undermining of the EC. The EC was created for valid reasons hundreds of years ago and those reasons still exist--to keep one area or another from having too much control over the other areas. Yes, there were other things that may not be as nice as part of the process but the process got us to a place where no relatively small group of states can control the entire government unless they are more widely backed in getting there.

I don't think, and I certainly pray, that the EC goes nowhere.