No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (16.66%)

18 members have voted

September 23rd, 2020 at 2:36:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
It cracks me up that the righties get upset 'cause Biden won't do this or that thing they want like release a Supreme Court list of his own for them to critique.

Like Trump's taxes, it doesn't mean enough to his real supporters. So, no reason to do it.

Unlike personal taxes, who you would nominate to SCOTUS is part of what you would do as POTIUS.

But Biden cannot say he would limit his choice to a gay person of color so he will not say.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2020 at 3:58:03 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
It is called a slogan. A theme. Every POTUS candidate will have them. In 2016 Hillary had "Stronger Together" rumored to be the 20th idea they had ran past the focus groups. He followed up with the getting rid of useless regs, getting us out of bad treaties, etc. But you use the slogan to tie it all together.

"I'm with her," is the one I remember.

And, yes, I know what a slogan is. How about the part where he failed to accomplish a good few of the things that he vowed to accomplish? What percent of his promises would have to come to fruition for America to have been made great again? Is it great again now? I'm seeing, "Keep America Great," and MAGA about equally on 2020 signage.

It's confusing because I don't know if I'm supposed to believe it has been made great again or not.

Quote:
Here is the Google top rank tracking site.

Trump has seemed to bring in corporate America in on the reg process. It is better to measure success by results not by how many pages of regs you write. Places like the EPA are filled with people who think that they are supposed to write as many regs as possible and they do not want industry input.

Most times industry will accept regs, but they have a better way of doing it since it is their business. When you get industry involved you get better results. Obama had a more "us vs. them" mentality as he spent no real time in the real world. Trump has put people with industry experience ahead of people with government experience.

I would outright abolish the EPA, if possible, so you're preaching to the choir on that one.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 23rd, 2020 at 4:01:07 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Has anybody else noticed three big mainstream
Libs are very skeptical of Joe Biden winning.
Michael Moore, Bill Maher, and Chunk Yogurt,
whatever his name is, from The Young Turks, are
all saying Trump might win by a bigger margin
than he did in 2016. They're looking at the
enthusiasm factor, which was totally ignored 2016.
Trump's base is extremely fired up, Biden's cannot
be found. That's the only poll you need to look at.
Enthusiasm is why Clinton beat bush in 92.
Enthusiasm is why Obama won 08. Enthusiasm is why
Trump will win 2020.

#1 is an idiot.

#2 is a crapweasel.

#3 is an idiot.

That's not to say that they're wrong on this point, but just to say that by your post alone, you care more about what those three have to say than I do.

EDIT: Actually, Yogurt seems smart enough, he's just very far left party line on things as a marketing tool...which is smart if your business is appealing to a somewhat niche political viewing market.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 23rd, 2020 at 4:06:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
What on earth would make any sane person thing Obama is qualified to be on SCOTUS? ZERO judicial experience. Very partisan. He is everything you do not want in a judge.

I do not get what it is with Obama's fans. I remember one I met saying he should have been the VP pick of whoever got the nomination. That he was ineligible did not matter to the guy.

Obama's time in the sun is done. Get over him. Find a new cult of personality for your side.

I agree on judicial experience.

If SCOTUS was non-partisan in practice, rather than in theory, then Obama's pick would not have been prevented AND the present related conversations here would not be happening. Best you're going to generally get is moderate left or moderate right. Despite protests to the contrary, I think Kavanaugh seems basically reasonable.
September 23rd, 2020 at 4:22:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
"I'm with her," is the one I remember.

That kind of came from her followers. Here's the thing with slogans. As I said, her official one was focus-group tested to death. MAGA if Trump did not come up with it off the cuff sounds much like something that came out of one spitballing meeting. And you can tell because MAGA worked and you do not remember her's. She ran her campaign like Roger Smith ran GM. Assume you are in the lead the whole way and defend that by being bland and not offending anyone. She got the same results the 1986 GM line got.

Quote:
And, yes, I know what a slogan is. How about the part where he failed to accomplish a good few of the things that he vowed to accomplish? What percent of his promises would have to come to fruition for America to have been made great again? Is it great again now? I'm seeing, "Keep America Great," and MAGA about equally on 2020 signage.

No POTUS gets it all done. I look at how much he did get done. First NAFTA took almost a decade. He replaced in in 2 years. He got the Middle East deals of the past month. The economy was booming before the china virus and will boom again if we just let it. KAG was to be the slogan until china virus, now a mix. Things happen. People were lining up at 0800 here to see him last night.

Quote:
I would outright abolish the EPA, if possible, so you're preaching to the choir on that one.

I would merge it with the Department of the Interior. Fire 1/3 of the people in both. No new regs for 4 years, said 4 years getting conflicting regs harmonized. Then move it all out of DC to the heartland where it would be among both the, well, interior as well as among industry and away from the DC life.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2020 at 4:29:44 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
That kind of came from her followers. Here's the thing with slogans. As I said, her official one was focus-group tested to death. MAGA if Trump did not come up with it off the cuff sounds much like something that came out of one spitballing meeting. And you can tell because MAGA worked and you do not remember her's. She ran her campaign like Roger Smith ran GM. Assume you are in the lead the whole way and defend that by being bland and not offending anyone. She got the same results the 1986 GM line got.

I basically agree with all of that. She did run a bland campaign that assumed she'd won already. Funny thing is I think she's not great with a podium in front of her, but when she's just doing a sit down interview, I find her reasonably charming. I feel like she confuses yelling for enthusiasm from the podium.

Quote:
No POTUS gets it all done. I look at how much he did get done. First NAFTA took almost a decade. He replaced in in 2 years. He got the Middle East deals of the past month. The economy was booming before the china virus and will boom again if we just let it. KAG was to be the slogan until china virus, now a mix. Things happen. People were lining up at 0800 here to see him last night.

The economy was booming before he was elected, at least, compared to what your boy Barry O. started his terms with.

Quote:
I would merge it with the Department of the Interior. Fire 1/3 of the people in both. No new regs for 4 years, said 4 years getting conflicting regs harmonized. Then move it all out of DC to the heartland where it would be among both the, well, interior as well as among industry and away from the DC life.

I'd pass the responsibility to the states and let them come up with interstate compacts if they want to.
September 23rd, 2020 at 5:14:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
I basically agree with all of that. She did run a bland campaign that assumed she'd won already. Funny thing is I think she's not great with a podium in front of her, but when she's just doing a sit down interview, I find her reasonably charming. I feel like she confuses yelling for enthusiasm from the podium.

A sit down interview is more controlled by far. Hillary does not like things she cannot control and she does not like people. She would be good as one of those lawyers who sit at a desk and review contracts and papers. I hear how "charming" she is in small groups, but I cannot see it. She seems to always be angry or miserable. Her laughter always sounds fake.

Quote:
The economy was booming before he was elected, at least, compared to what your boy Barry O. started his terms with.

Booming, no. It was just chugging along, a very weak recovery.

Quote:
I'd pass the responsibility to the states and let them come up with interstate compacts if they want to.

Can't do that with Federal Lands, which are extensive in the west. I will say that such a thing would have caused havoc in my old industry. I would still scale it way back.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2020 at 5:26:00 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
What on earth would make any sane person thing Obama is qualified to be on SCOTUS? ZERO judicial experience. Very partisan. He is everything you do not want in a judge.

President Taft worked for about 20 years as a judge and was offered a position on the Supreme Court several times before becoming President. He was appointed Chief Justice post-Presidency when the position became open.

I remember one I met saying he should have been the VP pick of whoever got the nomination. That he was ineligible did not matter to the guy.

The Amendment to the constitution was unclear on this subject. I don't think any ex-POTUS would try it because the court cases would overwhelm the election. McCain new he would be sued about his birth in the Canal Zone, but he didn't think most people would care. A lot of people would have an opinion on an ex-president elected twice running for VP.
September 23rd, 2020 at 5:38:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin

The Amendment to the constitution was unclear on this subject. I don't think any ex-POTUS would try it because the court cases would overwhelm the election. McCain new he would be sued about his birth in the Canal Zone, but he didn't think most people would care. A lot of people would have an opinion on an ex-president elected twice running for VP.

Doesn't seem like it; it says you can serve ten total years as President if you fill the former President's term with fewer than two years remaining. If you took over with more than two years remaining, then you could only get elected to one full term thereafter.

The closest thing to an argument that could be made is that he could maybe be made VP with fewer than two years left in President X's term, because then he would still be POTUS for fewer than ten total years. Don't know how he could be VP from Day 1, unless he's supposed to replace the President (theoretically) with more than two years left, but step down once two years has been reached to whomever he made his VP.
September 23rd, 2020 at 5:42:12 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
A sit down interview is more controlled by far. Hillary does not like things she cannot control and she does not like people. She would be good as one of those lawyers who sit at a desk and review contracts and papers. I hear how "charming" she is in small groups, but I cannot see it. She seems to always be angry or miserable. Her laughter always sounds fake.

I'd have a cup of tea with her.

Quote:

Can't do that with Federal Lands, which are extensive in the west. I will say that such a thing would have caused havoc in my old industry. I would still scale it way back.

You can by making them not be Federal lands anymore.