No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 15th, 2020 at 11:08:17 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Joe Biden should cancel all his campaign rallies. Same for Donald Trump. They need to stop shaking hands.

For line of succession reasons, Mike Pence should work remotely from the White House. In fact, Trump should never be in the same building as Pence. They ought to stay completely separated from each other, talk only via phone or video link. If both of them end up on ventilators at the same time, then Nancy Pelosi becomes president.
March 15th, 2020 at 11:46:50 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Newt Gingrich is currently in Italy.

Quote: Newt Gingrich
The streets [in Italy] are almost empty.

These steps are not an overreaction. The coronavirus is out of control of in Northern Italy. As of 6 p.m. local/1 p.m. EST on March 10, there were 15,113 total cases in Italy, with 12,839 active cases, 1,016 deaths and 1,258 recoveries. And there were 162 total cases here in Rome.

The hardest-hit region around Milan has had to improvise as its health system has been deeply stressed by the sheer number of patients. In Milan and Brescia, field hospitals have been set up in the fairgrounds as the local hospitals have been drowned in patients.

Because the demand for respirators and intensive care has been beyond any previous planning, doctors have been forced into the kind of triage thinking developed for intense battlefield casualty situations. There are reports that emergency room doctors are allotting respirators to those with higher life expectancy due to the limited equipment in the hardest hit areas of the province.
March 15th, 2020 at 11:57:37 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: reno
Joe Biden should cancel all his campaign rallies. Same for Donald Trump.

Didn’t they both already do this?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 15th, 2020 at 12:48:13 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Andrew Cuomo had a great press conference. I don't like many of his policies but he certainly looked like a leader with a plan. He asked for the Army Corps of Engineers to start NOW on increasing emergency facilities to house critically ill coronavirus victims in case the present capacity is overwhelmed. Of course it is easy for him to ask as that would require federal funds and federal personnel. He has put the ball in Trump's court.

The only faux pas he made was when asked about why some schools in NY are closed but others remain open. He pointed out that if all schools were closed then necessary personnel (doctors, nurses, etc.) might not be able to go to work. But..... he then harped on how the closing rules should be federal..... if stores are open in NJ but closed in NY it encourages lots of travel. He is not willing to make the decision for NY but wants Trump to make it for the country.

First 3 cases identified in my county. All home quarantined and none are very sick. I expect the number to multiply soon.
March 15th, 2020 at 12:53:21 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Ohio shutting down all bars and restaurants tonight at 9pm.

I’ve said it already, but Donny could take leadership lessons from Ohio Gov. Mike Dewine.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 15th, 2020 at 12:58:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Newt Gingrich is currently in Italy.

Because the demand for respirators and intensive care has been beyond any previous planning, doctors have been forced into the kind of triage thinking developed for intense battlefield casualty situations. There are reports that emergency room doctors are allotting respirators to those with higher life expectancy due to the limited equipment in the hardest hit areas of the province.

You can get designated as dead in battlefield triage before you actually are dead. 'Cause limited resources go to the savable.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 15th, 2020 at 1:14:05 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard
Here is my prediction:

2,000 to 3,000 American casualties.  That's about as many Americans who die of all causes in 10 to 12 hours.
  This suggests you are just going by things like that last bit, but I don't believe it for a second. 

I have to believe you crunched some numbers, Michael, as is your wont. And to go by the formula "population times percent who get it times the percent who will die"

Admittedly, taking the extreme case has made some people look foolish, perhaps me too, posting the thread about one million o/u. 

The only constant is the approximate 327 million US population. Some think 40-60% will get infected; but I think they want to count people who never even show symptoms, and nobody is officially counting these. And we will eventually declare 40-60 ridiculously high I now think, even including the symptoms-less . 

The other tack is to count only those who have symptoms and will get tested and confirmed. In South Korea, which is setting a suppression standard we cannot hope to duplicate, and which was really on top of it for testing, so far about 1 in 6000* have tested positive. But even there I think we have to project 1 in 5000 of the pop. at the least will eventually be the number, given enough time. Yes, I think it conservatively will be an order of magnitude worse here

Going by 0.2% of the pop. here, 1 in 500, that's going to be 654k. Let's also use 1% for death rate because I don't think we can match SK's approximate half a percent for various reasons, giving us [putting it into a range] 6 to 7 thousand dead. So I guess perhaps the Wizard just used different parameters and stayed away from outlier numbers. Currently I personally will not be surprised if we get into 5 figures dead.

*the denominator being S Korean population, not 'number tested'
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 15th, 2020 at 1:26:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
What happens in 3 to 4 months? Warm weather? Australia's flu season is typically June to September. There are currently 250 cases of coronavirus in Australia. I suspect that in the United States the number of cases might decline in the summer and then come roaring back in November. It's unlikely we'll have a vaccine before 2021 or 2022.

Obviously, when it is summer in the US and Europe it is winter in Australia, Argentina, Chile, and South Africa. In 1918 the flue vanished in the US by June but when it returned in the fall it returned with a vengeance, killing far more people than in the Spring.

October of 1918 was the deadliest month in US history. Over 11,000 Philadelphia residents died in October 1918, including 759 on the worst day of the outbreak. Drivers of open carts kept a near-constant vigil circling streets while hollering, “Bring out your dead!” They then deposited the collected corpses in mass graves excavated by steam shovels. After taking the lives of 195,000 Americans in October 1918, the Spanish flu dissipated as quickly as it had arrived, although it had a brief resurgence after crowds flooded city streets to celebrate the November 11 announcement of the armistice. Between war and sickness, life expectancy fell from 51 to 39 years of age in 1918.
March 15th, 2020 at 1:30:31 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: odiousgambit
  This suggests you are just going by things like that last bit, but I don't believe it for a second. 

I have to believe you crunched some numbers, Michael, as is your wont. And to go by the formula "population times percent who get it times the percent who will die"

I reckon Mike has underestimated.
Regardless of that, once ALL ventilators and IC beds are occupied, there will be an increasing number that die of unrelated afflictions. Those will probably never get counted.
One way the numbers could be fudged would be to refuse treatment to critically ill non-covid patients at the triage stage, so that covid stats can get the better chance.... or vice versa.
March 15th, 2020 at 1:31:07 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
Ohio shutting down all bars and restaurants tonight at 9pm.

I’ve said it already, but Donny could take leadership lessons from Ohio Gov. Mike Dewine.

Again, let the States do their part and let the Federal government do theirs. The States are in communication with the Federal Task Force and their leaders can make decisions from there.