fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Let's go Brandon
March 15th, 2020 at 4:17:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
All over the country they are making the unprecedented decision to suspend public Masses. This is unreal. Yet qhen I walk around I still see people eating at crowded resturants and milling about as if all was normal. I am having a hard time making sense of it all either these drastic decisions are way off base or the current behavior I see is making everything much worse.

My mother in law did not attend mass today over this. I hear last week the priest didn't shake people's hands after the service.

Personally, I am avoiding public places unless I need to buy something. I think others should do the same.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 15th, 2020 at 4:18:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
SOOPOO was saying something about not planning too well for trips, but I’d say he got pretty lucky on the timing of his cruise, all things considered.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 15th, 2020 at 5:12:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble
All over the country they are making the unprecedented decision to suspend public Masses. This is unreal. Yet qhen I walk around I still see people eating at crowded resturants and milling about as if all was normal. I am having a hard time making sense of it all either these drastic decisions are way off base or the current behavior I see is making everything much worse.

One thing someone told me that helped is that in 3 weeks we might not know if our social distancing really helped but if we are past this difficult point in history we will be glad no matter what we did it.

Here is one for you Padre. My brother just attended a Baptism with NO WATER. I would think they could just boil some water and then bless it. There has to be some Holy Water in storage in the sacristy (term for where the Priests and others wait before Mass and they store various sacramental items.) I do not remember everything from my Alatar Boy days, but I am sure they kept some in storage both to put out and in their "travel bag" to see bedridden parishoners.

But no water at all in a Baptism?
The President is a fink.
March 15th, 2020 at 5:16:12 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: odiousgambit

Currently I personally will not be surprised if we get into 5 figures dead.

So lets say 20,000. That would make it a lesser killer than the flu THIS SEASON.
March 15th, 2020 at 5:38:58 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Now at a local level there is a county that is using Sherriff deputies to force a quarantine after somebody ignored the orders of a medical officer and left the hospital and would not stay at home. Now, the County is going to have deputies posted at the entrances to his house 24/7.

This is controversial, but necessary. And, a lot of quarentines have to be enforced at local levels, meaning cities and counties need to be willing to take this unpopular action.

Many prosecutors are hesitant to push for jail time for offenders (because it could effect jail populations and cause more problems), and it seems to be up to police to issue citations for failure to comply (which in most cities just equates to a speeding ticket as far as fines)....

But, I think Sherriffs may need to be in contact with the Govenor to request state National Guard activations locally to enforce quarantines. Soon as more people are effected, it will not be realistic to have two sherriff deputies sitting at every infected house 24/7...

https://www.wdrb.com/news/deputies-now-monitoring-home-of-nelson-county-coronavirus-patient-who/article_c8646d32-6636-11ea-8827-e3cd47e6039e.html

'
"It's a step I hoped that I never had to take, but we can't allow one person — who we know has this virus — to refuse to protect their neighbors," he said during a Saturday news conference.

Nelson County Sheriff Ramon Pineiroa said the man is now cooperating, but deputies will remain outside his house 24/7 for the foreseeable future. Pineiroa did not identify where in Nelson County the man lives. '
March 15th, 2020 at 5:41:56 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: SOOPOO
So lets say 20,000. That would make it a lesser killer than the flu THIS SEASON.
The Wizard mentions a similar irony, so do others constantly, but bringing up such ironies bugs me. I mean, I see the irony, but somehow I don't 'get it'
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 15th, 2020 at 7:40:51 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: odiousgambit
The Wizard mentions a similar irony, so do others constantly, but bringing up such ironies bugs me. I mean, I see the irony, but somehow I don't 'get it'

That the flu, which is largely (mostly?) preventable by just getting a shot kills 100 people a day in this country during a bad season like this one. Yet flu shots are optional, not mandatory. But for this coronavirus disease we are ruining countless MILLIONS of lives by the economic devastation shutting down a significant part of the country entails. Some small businesses will never recover. Some individuals who thought they were doing ok are now in financial ruin. The deficit will EXPLODE! 39,000 people died in car accidents last year in the US.

I am not saying to ignore the threat of COVID-19 infection. My harping on other causes of death is just to bring perspective. Around HALF A MILLION people die each year from cigarette related causes. Of course an estimate, but 40,000 will die as a result of SECOND HAND SMOKE!
March 15th, 2020 at 8:46:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO
That the flu, which is largely (mostly?) preventable by just getting a shot kills 100 people a day in this country during a bad season like this one. Yet flu shots are optional, not mandatory. But for this coronavirus disease we are ruining countless MILLIONS of lives by the economic devastation shutting down a significant part of the country entails. Some small businesses will never recover. Some individuals who thought they were doing ok are now in financial ruin. The deficit will EXPLODE! 39,000 people died in car accidents last year in the US.

I am not saying to ignore the threat of COVID-19 infection. My harping on other causes of death is just to bring perspective. Around HALF A MILLION people die each year from cigarette related causes. Of course an estimate, but 40,000 will die as a result of SECOND HAND SMOKE!

Can a business buy insurance against such events? Or some kind of financial protection? If so, if someone wants to save money by skipping insurance, who is to blame?

I don't know. However if you have the option, for instance, to buy fire insurance, and don't, that's usually your fault. Seems like it could be the same for acts of god or whatever this is.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 16th, 2020 at 12:07:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Probably creepy, but I matched the world wide death total to see what city it matched. The entire population of Nazareth Pennsylvania as of last night would be dead.