No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 14th, 2020 at 6:05:49 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
The Pentagon has announced that domestic travel for our troops is banned for almost two months.

"During the restrictions, in effect March 16-May 11, troops will be allowed only “authorized local leave.”"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pentagon-halts-all-domestic-travel-for-military-dod-employees-amid-coronavirus-outbreak?fbclid=IwAR39wV-Bn_sXhQu0X1PAUUmlmsc9_NKQtARJyV4l9BLzxhpPRPtgCwNou1Q
March 14th, 2020 at 6:26:12 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
In Florida hurricane approaches cause people to stock up on beer, cigarettes, candles and ice yet tell the TV reporters they are buying milk and bread.
March 14th, 2020 at 9:18:17 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Wizard
I am still genuinely baffled by this toilet paper reflex. It's not just the Coronavirus. I lived in Baltimore through most of the 90's and every time snow was forecast, even if just a little, my local supermarket (Super Fresh on Security Blvd. and Rolling Road) would be packed with people buying white things (milk, eggs, bread) but especially toilet paper.

I recall the news media asking people in the long lines about their purchase choices and timing and everyone always said they needed those items anyway.

I have absolutely nothing to offer here -- I just am curious -- why?
A 32 pack of toilet roll is big. Take one off the shelf and there is a big gap: ten customers each taking one pack leaves a HUGE gap. That gap is conspicuous and disconcerts the next guy to pass. Chain reaction.
You see and NOTICE if the ten guys in front of you are wheeling a trolley full of big packs to the car. You would not notice if they were just taking sugar or rice or a mix of stuff.

If it was 1kg bags of rice or pasta, it would take far far more customers to make a conspicuous gap on the shelf. So, though rice and pasta might get grabbed, the loo roll goes first.
March 14th, 2020 at 11:27:30 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: RonC
The Pentagon has announced that domestic travel for our troops is banned for almost two months.

"During the restrictions, in effect March 16-May 11, troops will be allowed only “authorized local leave.”"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pentagon-halts-all-domestic-travel-for-military-dod-employees-amid-coronavirus-outbreak?fbclid=IwAR39wV-Bn_sXhQu0X1PAUUmlmsc9_NKQtARJyV4l9BLzxhpPRPtgCwNou1Q
deleted.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 14th, 2020 at 11:41:55 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: OnceDear
A 32 pack of toilet roll is big. Take one off the shelf and there is a big gap: ten customers each taking one pack leaves a HUGE gap. That gap is conspicuous and disconcerts the next guy to pass. Chain reaction.
You see and NOTICE if the ten guys in front of you are wheeling a trolley full of big packs to the car. You would not notice if they were just taking sugar or rice or a mix of stuff.

If it was 1kg bags of rice or pasta, it would take far far more customers to make a conspicuous gap on the shelf. So, though rice and pasta might get grabbed, the loo roll goes first.

My local Wegman's has no pasta or rice left. Many sections have bare shelves. I have to say they are NOT price gouging. I know I pay more at Wegman's but they are worth supporting.
March 14th, 2020 at 11:56:51 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: SOOPOO
My local Wegman's has no pasta or rice left. Many sections have bare shelves. I have to say they are NOT price gouging. I know I pay more at Wegman's but they are worth supporting.

My wife was at the local H-E-B on Wednesday (her day off). The announcement came that the Houston Rodeo was cancelled and all heck broke loose. The store, staffed for a normal Wednesday afternoon, was inundated with shoppers...many who were off because it was Spring Break. Until the Rodeo went dark, it was calm around here. After? Buckle up, Buttercup!

Toilet paper resupply via Amazon and Target. Paper towels from Target. All mail order. We could use some wipes but mainly because are dog is old and sometimes mistakes the inside for the outside. I am conserving them at this point.
March 14th, 2020 at 12:44:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO

Down here it is mixed. I don’t live on beans and rice. Got almost all of what I needed except had to buy the frozen chicken. Lots of empty shelves but really just looks like a glorified snow scare rush.
The President is a fink.
March 14th, 2020 at 3:02:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard

I have absolutely nothing to offer here -- I just am curious -- why?

Read my post on the other
forum, it's 100% a woman
thing. They are addicted to
'their' brand of TP and have
nightmares of running out.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 14th, 2020 at 3:05:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: RonC

Toilet paper resupply via Amazon and Target. Paper towels from Target. t.

Tried that yesterday, all sold out. So
I ordered 4000 paper hand towels,
cheaper than TP and not sold out.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 14th, 2020 at 3:45:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
One thing I will be glad of is, people will quit hugging each other all the time. I've never been a huggy person, but friends wives or whatever that just had to hug, I let them and acted accordingly. Then men started hugging each other. That is so frigging awkward for me, I don't even want to hug strange women [except for one I told Bob about in the past]. If they are gorgeous, well ok. But I don't want to hug men. My kids sure, if my parents were alive, yeah. My wife, lots. But men, nah.

I was taught as a kid that men shake hands when they meet. It is normal for me to do so, firm shake etc. It was preferable to hugging for sure, as soon as possible we can sanitize our hands, but hug someone [ and even before virus, "BV"] and the scent of perfume or virus will linger for a long time. Finally people will do a work around on that.

Ever notice when in public, some people [mostly women] have deluged themselves with some perume? Imagine that perfume was "The virus". I don't think they are aware of how hard that makes things on the breathing challenged? Anyone wearing a bouquet that contains Tea tree oil, closes my airway when near. It stops my ability to breathe freely. The few I've mentioned it nicely to, are offended regardless. Why do people have to wear that much scent?

I'm pretty sure that way of life is changed, I hope so.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW