No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 13th, 2020 at 3:52:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Speaking of being out of stock. I did buy the last cheap digital thermometer I saw a couple days ago. $16. The only other ones I saw left were $40-80.

I'm pretty satisfied with just a digital thermometer. Haven't missed a flu shot in years, so the most likely thing to cause an elevated temp is CV19.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 13th, 2020 at 4:21:46 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
Mrs. Wizard went to Costco today. There was a line to get in. Once in, employees rationed toilet paper to one pack per person.

I still don't understand why in times of fear we Americans dump stocks and load up on toilet paper.

I went to my local Costco. Got gas, that was pretty quick. Busy but not too busy
No line to get in but they were busy
No toilet paper or paper towels, guy held a sign at the entrance with this info
I picked up water. Limit 2 large packages. I picked up just one.
Picked up some frozen food
Went to the grocery store. Got one of the last packages of potatoes
I'm pretty stocked up on food. Don't want to eat out, right now dont trust who is cooking
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 13th, 2020 at 4:42:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC
No, you can't. The last thing I would want to see is to have another event similar enough to this that response could easily be better and for us to fall short of having it actually be better.

You should be able to prepare for things you have seen before...at least to a point ahead of how we were prepared for this event.

It is not an "R" or "D" thing; it is for all of us.

A good but unusual example can be found in the first season of "Breaking Bad." While investigating the equipment Walt stole they caught the janitor with some dope of some sort. All the parents start one-upping each other on "what to do" and the ideas get more and more draconian. Meanwhile, sometimes being a great leader means not doing something right away.

Trump is right in the bigger damage is to the economy by shutting things up tight as a drum. Good news was I went out to eat tonight expecting to see the place deserted. I could not get a parking space. Packed!
The President is a fink.
March 13th, 2020 at 4:55:24 PM permalink
rxwine
"And the band played on."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 13th, 2020 at 6:01:30 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
I'll try and beat AZ to the punch..... I worked with between 10 and 20 doctors as partners for 24 years. Average sick day per doctor was less than 1 per year. Last 6 years as salaried employee we had paid sick days. Probably averaged 3-4 days per doctor.

So who pays for these 10 sick days that will be bestowed upon the employees? How about doing what a lot of companies do and give PTO which can be used for sick or vacation?

I had saved up around 95 days of sick time when I retired. Payout was almost zero. Had I been unethical I could have called in every Friday for my last two years of work. Others nearing retirement seemed to be getting 'sick' quite a lot.

There are OR employees that will get sick the exact number of sick days they are allotted every year. Quite a coincidence!

I get just over six weeks of paid time off (PTO). I don't think I have ever used more than 10 days in a year between vacations and sick time. Sadly we lose the remainder that we don't use every year.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 13th, 2020 at 8:35:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I am still genuinely baffled by this toilet paper reflex. It's not just the Coronavirus. I lived in Baltimore through most of the 90's and every time snow was forecast, even if just a little, my local supermarket (Super Fresh on Security Blvd. and Rolling Road) would be packed with people buying white things (milk, eggs, bread) but especially toilet paper.

I recall the news media asking people in the long lines about their purchase choices and timing and everyone always said they needed those items anyway.

I have absolutely nothing to offer here -- I just am curious -- why?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 13th, 2020 at 9:00:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Coronavirus the Board Game modeled after Monopoly where you try not to land on the same space as another player and try to survive long enough for a vaccine.
Chance Card sends you to a Cruise Ship quarantine where you lose ability to accumulate survival points.
Instead of being sent to jail, you go to an understaffed hospital with too few ventilators.
Properties you buy are your safe spaces, but unsafe for other players.

and so on.
March 13th, 2020 at 9:43:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Coronavirus the Board Game modeled after Monopoly where you try not to land on the same space as another player and try to survive long enough for a vaccine.
Chance Card sends you to a Cruise Ship quarantine where you lose ability to accumulate survival points.
Instead of being sent to jail, you go to an understaffed hospital with too few ventilators.
Properties you buy are your safe spaces, but unsafe for other players.

and so on.
Scissors paper rock for who gets the ventilator?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 14th, 2020 at 3:25:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I am still genuinely baffled by this toilet paper reflex. It's not just the Coronavirus. I lived in Baltimore through most of the 90's and every time snow was forecast, even if just a little, my local supermarket (Super Fresh on Security Blvd. and Rolling Road) would be packed with people buying white things (milk, eggs, bread) but especially toilet paper.

I recall the news media asking people in the long lines about their purchase choices and timing and everyone always said they needed those items anyway.

I have absolutely nothing to offer here -- I just am curious -- why?

Some of us are preppers who keep full pantries to last a snowstorm, or whatever might close things for up to a couple weeks. We are watching this and relaxed. We are the minority. Maybe 40% of the people out there both live day to day and are easily swayed by the news. Snow, virus, whatever. They gotta just DO SOMETHING! Example is all these people buying all this water forgetting that there is all the water they need at their faucet.

Americans are so used to having all they need that any expectation of any shortage causes a run. It feeds on itself. Who wants to run out of TP? Some people run low. I had a roommate kept putting off buying it once. He had an excuse "didn't have time, we rode dirtbikes" as if he was 12 years old. Lots of people like that go pick the shelves clean.

I cannot find the grocery store scene from "The Day After" but we are living in a slow motion version of it right now. People just deciding "I might need this, I might need dat......."

I am glad I got into prepping 7-10 years ago. My big worry is will the bakery have my donuts made because I have to work today business is killing it at the moment.
The President is a fink.
March 14th, 2020 at 5:12:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: AZDuffman
Some of us are preppers who keep full pantries to last a snowstorm, or whatever might close things for up to a couple weeks. We are watching this and relaxed. We are the minority.
I think 'the less prepared' just remember a storm, or other people told them about a storm, that caused shortages. Maybe the only thing they buy at a grocery store are snacks, sodas, beer, and toilet paper. Today the stores try to get people to buy big packages of toilet paper for some reason, and due to panic they would be inclined to buy the big packages anyway. It acts itself out by TP disappearing first.

I agree it's weird
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]