No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 13th, 2020 at 8:44:18 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC

You responded not to my post, but with a cut and paste list from a source you did not bother to attribute it to (I have seen the list, so I am 99.9% it is not your own work...if it is, I apologize).

Its a copy and paste
My source probably did a copy and paste as well so that's why I did not source it
I was on a web page and was looking at comments and this persons comment blew me away
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 13th, 2020 at 8:49:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC
This is not true.. Snopes confirms it. The "hoax" that he was talking about was the Democrats' criticism of the response to the virus from the administration.

Criticism of that response is fair; repeating what has been proven a lie is not.

It shows what sheep people are when they blame a POTUS for a virus. They think somehow government is supposed to protect them from everything.
The President is a fink.
March 13th, 2020 at 8:51:16 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: reno
The Federal Reserve spent $1.5 trillion today to help the stock market. Perhaps some of that capital could be allocated to help workers?

They didn't *SPEND* it. This mistake is being made EVERYWHERE on twitter and facebook and every forum in the world.

These were short-term loans to inject liquidity into the markets, along with some extra bond purchases (aka mini-QE). This is not money leaving the government's hands and going into company's or trader's bank accounts.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
March 13th, 2020 at 8:52:08 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
Its a copy and paste
My source probably did a copy and paste as well so that's why I did not source it
I was on a web page and was looking at comments and this persons comment blew me away

I expect better, but I know everyone does not bother with it. When I see anything unattributed, suspiciously attributed, or that just looks too good/too far out there to be correct, I do a few quick internet searches for a proper source or something to refute the item. If it is FB friend, I tell them it is incorrect and how I determined that.

Your list is one I have seen somewhere that is an actual source, so I don't doubt it as being something presented as fact by some publication (though some of the "facts" are not exactly that)....i just consider it a bad idea to share unattributed stuff because some things do get "modified" and go from being true to being false.
March 13th, 2020 at 9:36:01 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
No being laid off means your employment is completely terminated.

Same as being fired (in the sense of termination of employment, not saying the reasons are the same) or quitting (except being fired is the fault of the employee, and quitting is the employee terminating them self, quitting and being fired make you ineligible for unemployment in most cases).

Being scaled down hours, or told you can't get any hours for a few weeks is being furloughed (generally keeping a worker employed, but forcing them into an unpaid leave of absence).

Lay off originally meant only temporary but now can also mean permanent but temporary is probable still the more common usage.

Layoff
A layoff is the temporary suspension or ….
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 13th, 2020 at 9:39:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Lay off originally meant only temporary but now can also mean permanent but temporary is probable still the more common usage.

Layoff
A layoff is the temporary suspension or ….

In my world
A lay off means you lost your job but not due to personal performance but due to downturn in business
May get the job back, may not, but the reality is your employer has cut you loose
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 13th, 2020 at 9:50:01 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
In my world
A lay off means you lost your job but not due to personal performance but due to downturn in business
May get the job back, may not, but the reality is your employer has cut you loose

Yeah that is generally what it means.

Furlough is usually a temporary lay off.
March 13th, 2020 at 11:00:34 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
In my world

Opposite in my world. Construction you often get laid off when one project is completed and come back to work when the next project starts. Forestry is king in the town I live in and the workers are always getting short term lay offs for a variety or reasons: the bush is too wet and the equipment is getting stuck, the bush is too dry and the fire hazard is high, too much snow and there is too much waste because the stumps are 8' high.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 13th, 2020 at 11:24:37 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Opposite in my world. Construction you often get laid off when one project is completed and come back to work when the next project starts. Forestry is king in the town I live in and the workers are always getting short term lay offs for a variety or reasons: the bush is too wet and the equipment is getting stuck, the bush is too dry and the fire hazard is high, too much snow and there is too much waste because the stumps are 8' high.
This is the type of layoff's that I'm most familiar with.

Then there are RIFF's, reduction in forces, permanently.

I dislike it when folks are confused and say they "were fired" when they were laid off. Unless it was "for cause", then it was a riff.

The firings I'm familiar with, you are expected to remove any personal belongings immediately and leave the premises, often with an inflection of hostility.

Often times, I thought of UI as a construction workers "paid vacation", although at a lesser rate. It was better than thinking "ah crap", at least for the spirit.

Everybody should get fired at least once, it helps you keep your perspective.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 13th, 2020 at 11:43:45 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I lived near Mt. Saint Helens "when she blew" and my kids were in grade school with mostly loggers kids. That's Hi-lead country, none of that feller buncher stuff, : ). One of my grandmothers actually lived on a logging train as a child for awhile, [narrow gauge railway].

The spotted owl debacle was a very sad happening "in my world". It changed a lifestyle and culture that had existed at the forests edge since Lewis and Clark came over on a canoe. The Sawyers, choker setters, and landing guys were some of the hardest working, most honorable people I have ever met in my life. I worked hard as a career, but hanging out with loggers in steep country is something others should get to experience. It amazed me seeing the physicality of these workers, allowed them to have 6-8 thousand calorie a day diets and be slim. Honest as the day was long.

Spent many nights swilling and cheering "Hobo Jim".
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW