1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 13th, 2021 at 11:14:42 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Won't happen. Because they will say how women with kids need more or some group needs more. They will just push to put it on top of everything else.

And again, it cannot work.

I think the only thing in question is the amount, quite honestly. You can't say that it, "Cannot work," as some sort of absolute. What if I asked, "Could we have a Universal Basic Income, of one dollar per month, that goes to all Americans?"

Of course you can give all Americans one dollar per month.

Hell, the Federal Government has given most income qualifying Americans, what is it, almost three grand in the last year with the passage of the most recent spending bill?

Seriously, just look at some of the preposterous sums of money that are going to equally preposterous things in this bill! I highly encourage you to read it! Looking at just the aspects of the bill not directly related to putting vaccines in arms, I'd be hard-pressed to say that any money is being better spent than just dividing it by the number of Americans and giving it all to them equally.

Given the income qualification categories, you could keep the spending directly related to medically addressing the virus and still give those who income-qualify something like six grand. Personally, I'd prefer that you take that six grand and spread it out with monthly disbursements of $500 for each qualifying American for the next twelve months.

If you kept tax rates the same, you could cut virtually every Federal program in the categories that I mentioned and easily give every American $10,000/year directly. Again, better that this be spread out on a monthly basis.

That's also keeping in mind that individual states could still have various programs if they wanted to and were able to finance them.

The National Endowment of the Arts had a budget of over 162M for 2020 and the National Endowment for the Humanities had a budget of 153M for 2020.

That's about a dollar per person right there. That's a good start. Why do those Endowments even exist?

My understanding is that the Federal Government spends about 55B on K-12 education in the United States, so we just change that number to zero and BOOM, I just found another $166 (estimated) per year for each American.

I could go on.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 13th, 2021 at 11:15:34 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: kenarman
How much more in taxes are you personally willing to pay to bring in UBI Mission?

Wouldn't have to pay anything additional. Just have to get rid of programs that already exist and redistribute that money.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 13th, 2021 at 12:17:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
Wouldn't have to pay anything additional. Just have to get rid of programs that already exist and redistribute that money.

The best thing about universal UBI, is you don't need the watchdog oversite which is a ton of government bureaucracy.
You know everyone got their 1k.

So, it just becomes, what did you do with the money you got? Why didn't you buy food before you bought that new iphone, xbox, 3 cartons of cigs.

You might even reduce the number of charities.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 13th, 2021 at 12:37:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Average deaths per day from COVID in US for previous month
173 Mar 31, 2020
2029 Apr 30, 2020
1342 May 31, 2020
659 Jun 30, 2020
855 Jul 31, 2020
956 Aug 31, 2020
779 Sep 30, 2020
791 Oct 31, 2020
1308 Nov 30, 2020
2613 Dec 31, 2020
3121 Jan 31, 2021
2157 Feb 28, 2021
1608 Mar 12, 2021

March is an improvement over the previous three months, but still high by historical standards.

Don't let your gaurd down yet.
March 13th, 2021 at 1:25:25 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
Average deaths per day from COVID in US for previous month
173 Mar 31, 2020
2029 Apr 30, 2020
1342 May 31, 2020
659 Jun 30, 2020
855 Jul 31, 2020
956 Aug 31, 2020
779 Sep 30, 2020
791 Oct 31, 2020
1308 Nov 30, 2020
2613 Dec 31, 2020
3121 Jan 31, 2021
2157 Feb 28, 2021
1608 Mar 12, 2021

March is an improvement over the previous three months, but still high by historical standards.

Don't let your gaurd down yet.

Thanks
Definitely not letting my guard down
I dont go anywhere inside if masks not required
Mostly takeout unless outdoor seating or indoors pretty empty.
Do a lot of outdoor activities
Currently in a nice Bakersfield park by the river riding my bike
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 13th, 2021 at 2:11:23 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined

Do a lot of outdoor activities
Currently in a nice Bakersfield park by the river riding my bike

I personally have a hard time typing while riding my bike.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 13th, 2021 at 2:54:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
I think the only thing in question is the amount, quite honestly. You can't say that it, "Cannot work," as some sort of absolute. What if I asked, "Could we have a Universal Basic Income, of one dollar per month, that goes to all Americans?"

The amount does not matter. You have to get that $1 form every American before you can give it to them. It is why I have started explaining it that it is like saying you are going to get rid of a pile of dirt by digging a big hole and burying it. Now, for those of you in Rio Linda if you do this then you have to figure out what to do with the dirt from the hole.

We keep hearing people using all kinds of math to try to say how it can work. But that is just being the monorail salesman in that episode of "The Simpsons" giving all kinds of flimflam to take away from the thing everyone is ignoring, it cannot work.

The King is not wearing any clothes!
The President is a fink.
March 13th, 2021 at 3:23:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The amount does not matter. You have to get that $1 form every American before you can give it to them. It is why I have started explaining it that it is like saying you are going to get rid of a pile of dirt by digging a big hole and burying it. Now, for those of you in Rio Linda if you do this then you have to figure out what to do with the dirt from the hole.

We keep hearing people using all kinds of math to try to say how it can work. But that is just being the monorail salesman in that episode of "The Simpsons" giving all kinds of flimflam to take away from the thing everyone is ignoring, it cannot work.

Hypothetically, how would a "deep state" go about destroying the dollar?

I saw somewhere that even the Boston Marathon bomber is eligible for a stimmy check. Feb saw the highest amount of illegals arrested since Bush I or II, 97 thousand and change. New POTUS I hear is going to distribute citizenship to most everyone inside our lines, so another 30 million or so are all eligible for stimmy's.

If those in charge of our country aren't trying to destroy it, I don't know what they would do if they were? But they don't even need to collect taxes from you or any of us anymore, they just print what they need. Collecting taxes is just harassment.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 13th, 2021 at 3:58:59 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Won't happen. Because they will say how women with kids need more or some group needs more. They will just push to put it on top of everything else.

And again, it cannot work.

This is all true. As soon as it is implemented, Bernie will ask... how can anyone live on just $12k a year? We will have to supplement the UBI for those that do not work. What.... you've bred 8 kids but don't have a job (or father in the picture) let's bump that with 'child additional UBI' or whatever they will call it. It is another bald faced lie that the proponents of UBI say that UBI will have it paid for by the elimination of other poverty type payments.
March 13th, 2021 at 5:59:31 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

Yeah, the Federal Government is already getting it from them anyway, if you hadn't noticed. Like I said, just the money that goes into administration of these various programs and departments is absurd. If the Feds are going to take it anyway, then I'd sooner have them put it in the hands of other people directly rather than waste it on inefficient and pointless programs.

I can make it work with math. I take the budgets of a wide variety of Federal programs and subtract them by 100%, I then sum up everything that came from those subtractions and distribute that sum equally to people below a certain income.