1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

December 22nd, 2020 at 2:29:24 PM permalink
HotDog
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
Overdose Deaths Far Outpace COVID-19 Deaths in San Francisco

A record 621 people died of drug overdoses in San Francisco so far this year, a staggering number that far outpaces the 173 deaths from COVID-19 the city has seen thus far. San Francisco has some of the strictest Covid lockdowns in the country yet their biggest killer is actually Fentanyl.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/overdose-deaths-outpace-covid-19-deaths-san-francisco-74823530

And that's ABC News reporting.
Lockdowns are a joke.

So a city with some of the strictest lockdowns in the country has very minimal Covid deaths? And you think this leads to the conclusion that lockdowns are a joke?
December 22nd, 2020 at 5:37:26 PM permalink
Tanko
Biden’s Holiday Message

As the number of new cases and deaths have been falling in the US, over the past week, and more than 600,000 people have already received their first vaccination, Biden warns our darkest days are ahead.

“One thing I promise you, about my leadership during this crisis: I’m going tell it to you straight. I’m going tell you the truth, and here is the simple truth. Our darkest days in the battle against COVID are ahead of us, not behind us. So we need to prepare ourselves, to steel our spines, as frustrating as it is to hear. It’s going to take patience, persistence,  and determination to beat this virus.”

Six months from now, the MSM will be comparing him to Churchill.
December 23rd, 2020 at 3:12:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
Biden’s Holiday Message

As the number of new cases and deaths have been falling in the US, over the past week, and more than 600,000 people have already received their first vaccination, Biden warns our darkest days are ahead.

“One thing I promise you, about my leadership during this crisis: I’m going tell it to you straight. I’m going tell you the truth, and here is the simple truth. Our darkest days in the battle against COVID are ahead of us, not behind us. So we need to prepare ourselves, to steel our spines, as frustrating as it is to hear. It’s going to take patience, persistence,  and determination to beat this virus.”

Six months from now, the MSM will be comparing him to Churchill.

Very defeatist and dark. If Trump had said this the media would be bashing it to death.
The President is a fink.
December 23rd, 2020 at 3:45:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: kenarman
My post wasn't disputing that deaths are up this year Paco. I was noting that the extra people that die from Covid this year will not be 'available' for the annual death statistics in the following years. This means that the total for the future year they might have died will be smaller since they have already been counted.

Since the majority of the people dying of Covid aren't in their baby making years the additional Covid deaths this year and next will make little difference in the long term population statistics.

I agree. COVID is not an existential threat. To bring the natural growth rate of the US to Zero, for even one year would take a much bigger calamity. To bring it to ZPG for five years would be almost unimaginable.

The provisional number of births for the United States in 2019 was 3,745,540 while the number of deaths: 2,839,205;
December 23rd, 2020 at 4:20:53 AM permalink
Tanko
Quote: AZDuffman
Very defeatist and dark. If Trump had said this the media would be bashing it to death.

He’s a real beacon of hope, while the pandemic is causing a historic rise in mental health issues.

Tell us consumers paid down record debt in 2020, and saved a record percent of their incomes. Tell us they’re ready to spend record numbers, and years of economic growth could be ahead. Tell us the vaccines will succeed, jobs will return, and we’re going to see the Roaring Twenties. Just as we did following the Spanish Flu in 2018.
December 23rd, 2020 at 4:37:38 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

Okay, Mr. “three months from now we’ll all have forgotten about it.”

If Donny had told the truth about the virus he might have actually won re-election. But he played it down. “15 cases soon to go down to zero.” People knew he was full of crap and couldn’t handle the task at hand. Now he’s a one-termer.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2020 at 5:38:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Tanko
He’s a real beacon of hope, while the pandemic is causing a historic rise in mental health issues.

Tell us consumers paid down record debt in 2020, and saved a record percent of their incomes. Tell us they’re ready to spend record numbers, and years of economic growth could be ahead. Tell us the vaccines will succeed, jobs will return, and we’re going to see the Roaring Twenties. Just as we did following the Spanish Flu in 2018.

Quote:
Nearly 8 million more Americans have joined the ranks of the poor since June, according to researchers from the University of Chicago and University of Notre Dame.

The poverty rate jumped to 11.7% in November, up from 9.3% in June. That's nearly double the largest annual increase in poverty since the 1960s.

The poverty rate is increasing even though the unemployment rate fell by 40% over the same period. This disconnect between the two is not surprising since some government benefits have expired, including a $600 federal boost in jobless payments, the researchers said.

Merry Christmas.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 23rd, 2020 at 6:32:54 AM permalink
Tanko
Quote: rxwine
Nearly 8 million more Americans have joined the ranks of the poor since June, according to researchers from the University of Chicago and University of Notre Dame.

The poverty rate jumped to 11.7% in November, up from 9.3% in June. That's nearly double the largest annual increase in poverty since the 1960s.

Misery loves company. Doesn't it.

I read the article too.

A lot of that has to do with who the governor is. Here in NYC, Cuomo once again put tens of thousands out of work by shutting down indoor dining, despite only 1.4% of new infections being traced to indoor dining.

From the Article:

Nevada, which tied for the nation's second highest unemployment rate at 10.1%, had the highest share of folks who had trouble meeting their expenses at nearly 45%.

In South Dakota, less than 25% of residents were in that situation. The state has one of the lowest unemployment rates at 3.5%.

Louisiana, where the unemployment rate was 8.3% in November, had the highest share of people in this situation, at 15.9%.

But only 2.3% of Montana residents couldn't pay their housing costs. The state's unemployment rate was 4.9%.
December 23rd, 2020 at 10:58:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Simply a great speech!

POCKET VETO TIME!
The President is a fink.
December 23rd, 2020 at 11:25:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

Simply a great speech!

POCKET VETO TIME!

I have to agree. It is a great speech. Brilliant of the Democrats to not give him the opportunity until after the election!

But it can’t fool me. If he really felt that way he would have made his feelings known BEFORE the bill was finalized. I am frankly surprised the stock market is up today. Figured him reneging on whatever he told McConnell would have cost it a few percent.