No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

May 2nd, 2020 at 5:49:12 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Everyone needs to remember that there are very few "non-essential" jobs as far as the people holding them are concerned. Those jobs provide an income for them to pay their bills.

We lost a major oil company's local site yesterday. It wasn't just the virus, of course, there is also the attack on us in the oil world...and oil has always been, and will likely be, boom and bust. The virus did play a role...through this lock down, I use 1/4 of the gas I did before it and I already worked from home. This touched people close to us. These jobs are gone and others will go the same way--for those people to go back to work, soon, there will have to be other jobs for them to find.

How many jobs can we afford to lose?

Everyone is in the same storm, not the same boat. Some of those boats are taking on way too much water.

Open it up as quickly as practical based on the science but with a balance of how it will impact the economy.
May 2nd, 2020 at 6:44:05 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: RonC

Open it up as quickly as practical based on the science but with a balance of how it will impact the economy.

Sorry, Ron, can't let you get away with this one. You have to tell me how many additional deaths you are willing to accept to "open it up". To make it clear, without specifically saying it out loud, that is what each individual governor is doing now.

The science will always say "keep it closed", if by science you mean "way to minimize deaths". ALWAYS.

So unless you answer my question above, how do you figure out a 'balance'.

My answer is this... it should be opened ASAP, so long as the local area has the healthcare facilities available to treat the dying (and savable) without using extraordinary measures (tent hospitals, convention centers, re-using non-reusable masks, etc..) As stated many times before, because a restaurant is open does NOT mean you have to go there. Because a gym is open does NOT mean you have to go there.

Maybe politically incorrect, but there are areas of Buffalo if I just went for a stroll, I would be at more risk for death/harm than if I went to a COVID-19 hospital and licked the countertops. I choose not to do either.
May 2nd, 2020 at 7:02:17 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: SOOPOO
Sorry, Ron, can't let you get away with this one. You have to tell me how many additional deaths you are willing to accept to "open it up". To make it clear, without specifically saying it out loud, that is what each individual governor is doing now.

The science will always say "keep it closed", if by science you mean "way to minimize deaths". ALWAYS.

So unless you answer my question above, how do you figure out a 'balance'.

My answer is this... it should be opened ASAP, so long as the local area has the healthcare facilities available to treat the dying (and savable) without using extraordinary measures (tent hospitals, convention centers, re-using non-reusable masks, etc..) As stated many times before, because a restaurant is open does NOT mean you have to go there. Because a gym is open does NOT mean you have to go there.

Maybe politically incorrect, but there are areas of Buffalo if I just went for a stroll, I would be at more risk for death/harm than if I went to a COVID-19 hospital and licked the countertops. I choose not to do either.

"Science" includes the things you mentioned; not simply deaths. We can't wait for the death toll to be zero. You don't need to let me "get away" with anything, thank you. ASAP is appropriate to a great deal of the country based on the curve going down and the facilities available. Other places, not so much.

My zip code has 13 cases. We don't need to be on lock down, we need to be in recovery while being careful.

I have driven through areas of Buffalo accidentally that I would never go to intentionally.
May 2nd, 2020 at 7:22:10 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
Sorry, Ron, can't let you get away with this one. You have to tell me how many additional deaths you are willing to accept to "open it up".

Out of respect for you I will not re-iterate my opinion on the number of accecptable deaths.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 2nd, 2020 at 8:10:36 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
SOOPOO I hope you enjoyed your golf game. I will flip things around a bit on the question you have asked several times on the number of deaths. I will use Canadian stats some countries would be worse and some better. Canada normally has about 25 million THOUSAND deaths a month. Covid so far has caused 3,391 deaths in Canada. We have been under lockdown for close to 6 weeks. This has done nothing to develop any kind of herd immunity the number of deaths from my point of view are meaningless in the big picture. A large portion of the deaths were elderly and in care facilities with little quality of life and few years to live. This might seem hard nosed but I am into my 70's and death is not that scary a thing and inevitable anyway. To get around to answering your question I would accept 5 or 10 times as many deaths in a no lock down scenario, likely even more. The cost to the fabric of our society is currently much worse than the number of deaths.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 2nd, 2020 at 8:32:03 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: kenarman
The cost to the fabric of our society is currently much worse than the number of deaths.
+1,000

Exactly!

The govt's response to the coronavirus reads like satire that Mark Twain could have written........
The greatest country in the world kills itself because people don't want to catch a cold. 😒
May 2nd, 2020 at 8:57:31 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Most states have started reopening. A few have extended their stay at home orders with good reason.

These three make no sense at all:

Hawaii only has a cumulative total of 70 hospitalizations and 16 deaths. The Governor has extended their stay at home policy until May31st.

With a cumulative total of only 177 hospitalizations and 55 deaths, the Governor of Maine has extended the stay at home order until May 31st.

New Hampshire only has 112 currently hospitalized and 72 deaths. The Governor extended the stay at home policy until May 15th.

Tracking
May 2nd, 2020 at 9:22:55 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's 71 degrees in W MI. That's summer
temps. You have people with incredible
cabin fever, nobody is staying inside
today. Walkers, bike riders, there is
10 times more cars going past my house
than last Saturday. Wicked Witch WhitBitch
will have a cow.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 2nd, 2020 at 10:24:55 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
It's 71 degrees in W MI. That's summer
temps.

Summer temps?

I guess the Western part of the state has much colder summers than the eastern part.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 2nd, 2020 at 12:08:43 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: kenarman
Canada normally has about 25 million deaths a month.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.