December 11th, 2021 at 10:17:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Most of my knowledge of Indian food comes from watching
scores and scores of travel videos that feature Indian street
food. I suspect that is far different from what you get in an
Indian restaurant in England. Street food is big on spice and
wraps and sauce dishes with lots of ingredients that they
cook in huge vats all day long. Pork and chicken and goat.
Always heavy with the turmeric and the garlic and the peppers.
And of course the curry.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 11th, 2021 at 6:05:55 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Indian food is not as popular in the USA as it is in Great Britain.

Chinese food and Thai food are more popular, at least in Pacific NW; out here Indian restaurants are about as common as Middle Eastern restaurants, i.e. not too common, but always a few.
December 11th, 2021 at 7:23:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Took yesterday's Indian leftovers add a can of bean sprouts and some cooked pork roast and some mushrooms and it was even better than yesterday because the gravy was better from sitting in the fridge for a whole day.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 12th, 2021 at 3:07:21 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Evenbob
Took yesterday's Indian leftovers add a can of bean sprouts and some cooked pork roast and some mushrooms and it was even better than yesterday because the gravy was better from sitting in the fridge for a whole day.

You've surpassed yourself with that photo. $:o)

Can you really buy canned beansprouts? Shipped in from China? WOW! I just sprout my own from a handful of mung beans or occasionally buy chilled. Just takes about 4 days.
December 12th, 2021 at 6:41:49 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: OnceDear
Thanks DRich,
I agree. Indian food is NOT all about curry, though I admit much of it is. To get the best of an Indian restaurant, share a feast and get a taste of everything on the menu. Indian restaurants here are rubbish at desserts.

Better Indian restaurants in Manchester and Birmingham.

And for anyone inclined to cook...

https://www.youtube.com/c/AlsKitchen/about

The guy in this youtube channel is fairly local to me and Head Chef at one of my favourite restaurants.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=latifs+inspired

my wife is not a very good cook but she makes an amazing Butter Chicken. That and Tikka Masala are about the only Indian food that I eat regularly.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 12th, 2021 at 7:24:27 AM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: DRich
my wife is not a very good cook but she makes an amazing Butter Chicken.
Whoa! you can't say that on a public forum. She might read it and cut off your rations $:o)
What I think you meant to say is "My wife is a very specialized cook AND she makes an amazing Butter Chicken
$:o)

Anyhow...... The best chefs are men, Obviously. And the best men are chefs!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are all going to die, So Eat, drink and be merry.
December 12th, 2021 at 8:18:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Indian over here?

I'm sure different parts of the country will vary, but not at all popular anywhere that I have lived. There might have been fewer than five Indian food places in the entire Kansas City area. I believe there are more than that in the Pittsburgh area, but it's still not terribly popular.

Obviously, different individual business owners are going to do things differently, but my experience with working for Indian business owners as well as talking to several Indian business owners...and this is a limited sample size of 10-15...is that there's not a corner they won't try to cut if they perceive cutting it as saving the business money. It's also noticeable when you go into Indian-owned grocery stores in this area; they're usually pretty dingy and the refrigerators are often set to the highest food storage temperature they are permitted to be---if not higher than that.

Long story short, that's not where I'm wanting to get my food. The gas stations are fine, if not a bit dirty...the bathrooms will usually be pretty nasty if they'll even let you use them. They seem not to think that people make their gas buying decisions on places with public restrooms on the off-chance that they have to take a leak while they are there. I guess the occasional toilet flush costs them more than some customers totally avoiding the station.

Anyway, it's obviously going to vary from place to place, but I'll just avoid Indian food, for the most part. I also don't think I have a very sophisticated palate when it comes to the spices they use anyway---as most of what they make tastes the same to me. You'll also notice most of their dessert foods aren't very sweet, but again, I think that's because they have extremely sophisticated palates for spices and can taste subtle differences.

Gyros and other Greek food is pretty popular for carry-out, as well as, "Chinese food," of course.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 12th, 2021 at 8:40:51 AM permalink
Evenbob

What's that supposed to mean. I take my pictures with a cheap cell phone because I'm lazy. That's why the picture quality is not good. Oh well
December 12th, 2021 at 11:16:39 AM permalink
OnceDear

What's that supposed to mean. I take my pictures with a cheap cell phone because I'm lazy. That's why the picture quality is not good. Oh well
I'll be honest, EB.
Some of your foody creations sound healthy and delicious. But, being keen to get them in your tummy, you attend to what's important and to hell with what it looks like. I think you've addressed that observation before. I respect that. You don't post the photos here for anyone's benefit other than your own.
Some of the few foody photos that I have posted looked a bit 'hasty' too.
This photo did not whet my appetite. I'll leave it at that.
December 12th, 2021 at 11:26:25 AM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: Mission146
Indian over here?

Obviously, different individual business owners are going to do things differently, but my experience with working for Indian business owners as well as talking to several Indian business owners...and this is a limited sample size of 10-15...is that there's not a corner they won't try to cut if they perceive cutting it as saving the business money. It's also noticeable when you go into Indian-owned grocery stores in this area; they're usually pretty dingy and the refrigerators are often set to the highest food storage temperature they are permitted to be---if not higher than that.

I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree. There are a few 'Indian' grocery stores that i use for some of the more esoteric ingredients. They do not inspire me with their attention to freshness of produce or shop hygiene. Some of those shops are in rundown areas and make me cringe when I go in. Here, food establishments have mandatory star ratings for food hygiene ratings I avoid anywhere below 4*. Some of the takeaways display 1* or 2* ratings, which are frankly rubbish. Some Chinese takeaways are a bit gross too, if you ever get a look into the kitchen. One thing probably common across all restaurants is that you wouldn't eat there if you saw the way food is prepared. Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare is probably faithful to that.
Quote:
Anyway, it's obviously going to vary from place to place, but I'll just avoid Indian food, for the most part. I also don't think I have a very sophisticated palate when it comes to the spices they use anyway---as most of what they make tastes the same to me. You'll also notice most of their dessert foods aren't very sweet, but again, I think that's because they have extremely sophisticated palates for spices and can taste subtle differences.

Gyros and other Greek food is pretty popular for carry-out, as well as, "Chinese food," of course.
Our Indian takeaways and restaurants are really rubbish at desserts, not usually much better than a few scoops of ice cream with a slice of fruit..