What I Ate Today

Page 1 of 801234>Last »
October 21st, 2019 at 8:10:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Sour cream and roasted sesame seed waffles
made with coconut flour. Fried eggs and
fried corn beef.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 22nd, 2019 at 5:27:05 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I may have a pic for this thread if it goes as planned
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 22nd, 2019 at 7:21:06 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Sour cream and roasted sesame seed waffles
made with coconut flour. Fried eggs and
fried corn beef.

That looks like something I would eat. I rarely say that with your meals.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 22nd, 2019 at 1:10:16 PM permalink
odiousgambit
OK, exploring various ways of eating the new mushrooms, and I have quite a bit of it. Sauteeing in oil and butter? Can't go wrong there, but no pics. 

So here is the Hunter's Friend, canned pasta sauce. Pergo is the most familiar brand, but you save money buying the cans. I call it the Hunter's Friend because 99.9999% of us have to do our own cooking most of the time [cleaning the game, we do 100%]. My wife, a good cook, will cook some of the ducks, geese, venison, doves, and actually likes to cook turkeys; I am blessed with a rarity there. Nonetheless modern hunters have to cook, and if you are short of time or talent, gotta have the pasta sauce. 

If you have a deer processed, you wind up with a ton of ground meat, and making meatballs, then covering them with the pasta sauce and simmer to cook [simmer an hour or more, don't let it boil even briefly] ; meatball subs , spaghetti and meatballs, you have it made.

This simmered with some fresh tomatoes added, for a good hour. 

Voila, two big slices of this on a bed of stone ground grits

The mushrooms are shelf mushrooms, so what you see there is not a big clump but separated layers you can slice. The advice is to always cook wild mushrooms. BTW if you don't cook mushrooms, any mushroom, and break down the cell structure, it passes through your system undigested!

Next: I am very limited but do a thing with wine, mushrooms, and onions on rice. That'll be next.
October 22nd, 2019 at 4:47:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Pan fried in lard artichoke hearts, baked
eggplant, lettuce wrapped thin sliced
pork sandwich. I outdid myself on
this one, the hearts were light
and very good.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 23rd, 2019 at 6:55:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
The wine, mushrooms, onions recipe I decided against. I use it to cook rabbits and such, and the wild mushrooms couldn't substitute for the game and the mushrooms both, yet it would be silly to use two types of mushrooms.

So here are mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and butter on 3 types of rice, white on top of brown/wild combo. The latter is from a pack of Uncle Ben's microwave rice. I don't know if you've every tried to make brown or wild rice from scratch, but I found it much harder than white rice from scratch. Love the microwave packs.

My cell phone pic is a bit blurry maybe, sorry.

October 23rd, 2019 at 7:03:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit

So here are mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and butter on 3 types of rice, white on top of brown/wild combo. The latter is from a pack of Uncle Ben's microwave rice. I don't know if you've every tried to make brown or wild rice from scratch, but I found it much harder than white rice from scratch. Love the microwave packs.

I never cook rice from microwave packs. They taste weird to me.
I cook rice a lot. Pretty much just Jasmine white rice
I find it extremely easy to prepare
Water, rice, some salt, in an enclosed pot, bring to a boil, let simmer for about 12 to 15min. Done
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 23rd, 2019 at 7:24:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
In fact the white rice from the packs is not very good, and is yellowish looking. I don't use the packs for white rice but make it from scratch
October 23rd, 2019 at 8:21:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Pork stew with turnips and tomatoes.

October 23rd, 2019 at 8:40:26 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: terapined

I cook rice a lot. I find it extremely easy to prepare
Water, rice, some salt, in an enclosed pot, bring to a boil, let simmer for about 12 to 15min. Done

Headspace in the pot is critical. The foodbank people use low quality rice; MoW rice is quite good.
Beet water is good if making rice.
Page 1 of 801234>Last »