What I Ate Today

December 7th, 2021 at 8:45:22 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Evenbob
canned oysters

Smoked canned oysters are all I can find in UK stores. Would never consider buying them, nor fresh oysters for that matter.
December 7th, 2021 at 10:06:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: OnceDear
Smoked canned oysters are all I can find in UK stores. Would never consider buying them, nor fresh oysters for that matter.

I don't like smoked oysters. These canned oysters are
packed and cooked in the can as is most seafood.
They are really quite good. A few hundred years ago
they had so many oysters available in Boston that some
of the streets were paved with crushed oyster shells.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 7th, 2021 at 11:11:54 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Welcome to Oysterville, Wa.

December 7th, 2021 at 4:43:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
I discovered what my Christmas feast is going to be this year. Egg foo young. This turned out really well, the one I make for Christmas will be really really good. I'm going to use lobster, crabmeat, and shrimp. When I cook Asian food it's the only place I use MSG. It does make a difference. My wife and I usually go to the Chinese buffet on Christmas Day because of covid-19 go last year and were sure not going this year.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 8th, 2021 at 5:24:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Blue Plate special, open face chicken sandwich with mushroom gravy. In mom-and-pop diners and greasy spoons in the 19 thirties and forties an open face chicken or turkey sandwich was often the Blue Plate special of the day. Cheap to make cheap to buy and ready in less than 5 minutes because everything was already cooked. And delicious.

December 8th, 2021 at 7:58:39 PM permalink
OnceDear
Blue Plate special, open face chicken sandwich with mushroom gravy. In mom-and-pop diners and greasy spoons in the 19 thirties and forties an open face chicken or turkey sandwich was often the Blue Plate special of the day. Cheap to make cheap to buy and ready in less than 5 minutes because everything was already cooked. And delicious.

As my mum might have said. If you eat any more mushrooms, you'll turn into one $:o)

Foo yung is a classic chinese omelette. Delish, but yours looked a bit runny. had you made a gravy of sorts?

And what's on that open sandwich just under the mushrooms? Shredded cabbage?

Anyhow.... I might start posting some Brit food. I've rediscovered my slow cooker and done some pretty good slow roasts in it recently. 7 hour brisket in Guiness. Nom Nom Nom.
Also had a glut of beetroot this month. Made some pickles and some beetroot chips. (or crisps as we call them)

Santa is bringing me some kitchen equipment $:o)
December 8th, 2021 at 10:59:15 PM permalink
Evenbob

Foo yung is a classic chinese omelette. Delish, but yours looked a bit runny. had you made a gravy of sorts?
)

Are you joking? Egg foo young is always one hundred percent of the time served with gravy. The gravy is the secret to the dish. I used the liquid from a can of oysters, the liquid from a can of mushrooms, the liquid that was in the pan after I cooked down the veggies, and chicken broth. I added rice vinegar, soy sauce, a sweetener, garlic; and tara gum to thicken it. I hit it with a stick blender until it was thick put it in the microwave for a minute and it was some of the best gravy I've ever made. Runny, yeah it was runny with gravy.
December 9th, 2021 at 1:49:35 AM permalink
OnceDear
Are you joking? Egg foo young is always one hundred percent of the time served with gravy. The gravy is the secret to the dish.

Kudos

Looks like my local chinese restaurants and takeaways have been cheating me. Never received or been offered gravy with foo yung. I will go and complain!
December 9th, 2021 at 7:05:59 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Are you joking? Egg foo young is always one hundred percent of the time served with gravy. The gravy is the secret to the dish. I used the liquid from a can of oysters, the liquid from a can of mushrooms, the liquid that was in the pan after I cooked down the veggies, and chicken broth. I added rice vinegar, soy sauce, a sweetener, garlic; and tara gum to thicken it. I hit it with a stick blender until it was thick put it in the microwave for a minute and it was some of the best gravy I've ever made. Runny, yeah it was runny with gravy.

I have never seen fooyung with gravy in Canada.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 9th, 2021 at 8:35:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Kudos

Looks like my local chinese restaurants and takeaways have been cheating me. Never received or been offered gravy with foo yung. I will go and complain!

You must be joking again. Look up egg foo young recipes on YouTube every single one will involve gravy. The gravy is the most important part of the dish every restaurant I've ever had it in comes with gravy. Here's a video selected at random and it has gravy. I can't imagine egg foo young without it.