Science and Religion

October 20th, 2019 at 4:34:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
For the sake of argument I will accept your statement that only earth has life although I don't believe that is probably true. It is accepted that there are billions of stars and that planets aren't that rare. So if the conditions of life are 1 in a million? or 1 in a billion? we still can easily have life occurring through the random occurrence of extremely rare exact conditions. No outside influence required.

I said "In our solar system."
The President is a fink.
October 20th, 2019 at 6:12:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I think AZ is doing awesome. I just want to jump in and say that the "god of the gaps" thing is a straw man argument that is more applicable to paganism than any monotheistic religion. Nobody believes in God just because there is something we don't understand. That is akin to not understanding lightning and attributing it to some god of lightning. This is not the Christian understanding of God who is the source of all things. St. Augustine spoke of the 2 books God has given us to understand Him. The Bible and Nature. The more we understand about creation the more we can understand about God. This is why science and theology work together and nothing in either "book" can truly contradict the other, they have the same author.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 20th, 2019 at 6:18:40 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Face
And because it happened once, it HAS TO BE ABLE to happen again. And of course, the omnipotent and omniscient and infallible COULD do it again. So... show me.

I find it weird the claim that "even with proof, atheists still wouldn't believe". I will fully admit that it'd take a lot for me to just drop it and accept. Split water? I've seen it happen. Not just in apocalyptic tsunamis, either. The Great Lakes experience a seiche every decade or so. EB may remember boats hanging from dock lines back in '95. Wasn't God, just a steady wind. I'm a child of the internet; it's gonna take a lot to wow me, to show me something I haven't seen before.

And there are plenty of just such things in the Bible. 240mm Christians in the US? Just ONE come Lay on Hands. Fix my back and my gun nuttery would pale to the proselytizing I would engage in. Come touch my hyacinth and let me watch it wither before me. Call forth a run of salmon in July. You're God. Wowing me should be as easy as creating the moon and stars. You know my mind. You know my heart. Do that thing that you know would get my attention.

*crickets*

I felt a little uncomfortable with the "So show me." part of this heartfelt post. It reminded me of those mocking Christ as He was dying on the cross. "Come down from that cross and we will believe." Heal me and then I will believe. If we believe because of these things are we really loving God or are we just loving His power to work magic in our lives. Maybe thinking about those in your life who you truly love would be helpful. They can't heal your back, but their loving presence and support are what you love about them. You love them for who they are not what they can do for you. They also love you even in your weakness and struggles, just as you love them in their mess as well. That would be a much better example of what belief in God is really about. Not Him impressing you with magic tricks and demonstrations of His power, but rather being with you in your suffering and loving you in it just as He loved us in His suffering.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 20th, 2019 at 6:51:47 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: FrGamble
I think AZ is doing awesome. I just want to jump in and say that the "god of the gaps" thing is a straw man argument that is more applicable to paganism than any monotheistic religion. Nobody believes in God just because there is something we don't understand. That is akin to not understanding lightning and attributing it to some god of lightning. This is not the Christian understanding of God who is the source of all things. St. Augustine spoke of the 2 books God has given us to understand Him. The Bible and Nature. The more we understand about creation the more we can understand about God. This is why science and theology work together and nothing in either "book" can truly contradict the other, they have the same author.

Nobody believes in God because of gaps, but people defend their belief in God because of the gaps (it has already occured in this very thread).
October 20th, 2019 at 7:13:33 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
I said "In our solar system."

So your claim then is there is a separate God for each solar system????
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 20th, 2019 at 7:45:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I felt a little uncomfortable with the "So show me." part of this heartfelt post. It reminded me of those mocking Christ as He was dying on the cross. "Come down from that cross and we will believe." Heal me and then I will believe. If we believe because of these things are we really loving God or are we just loving His power to work magic in our lives. Maybe thinking about those in your life who you truly love would be helpful. They can't heal your back, but their loving presence and support are what you love about them. You love them for who they are not what they can do for you. They also love you even in your weakness and struggles, just as you love them in their mess as well. That would be a much better example of what belief in God is really about. Not Him impressing you with magic tricks and demonstrations of His power, but rather being with you in your suffering and loving you in it just as He loved us in His suffering.

Like buying a product sight unseen. Trust me, says the salesman.

He was going to do a magic trick in 3 days anyway when no one was around. What's the difference?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 20th, 2019 at 8:31:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Nobody believes in God just because there is something we don't understand.

But that's exactly where the belief
in god came from. As we became
more self aware, and realized we
were responsible for our actions,
we became aware of the complex
world around us. We reasoned,
inaccurately, that because we
were responsible for our actions,
there must be an intelligence
behind the actions of nature
and the universe.

So we invented gods for what
we didn't understand, that
controlled everything. Roman
gods, Greek gods, even the
Jews had a bunch of gods.
They eventually combined
them all into one god, Yahweh.

It's a provable fact that the
decline in god worship has
decreased as our knowledge
of how the world works has
increased. The more we
understand, the less need we
have for a god to be the
explanation.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 20th, 2019 at 10:09:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
The decline in the worship of God has little to do with our knowledge of how the world works. In fact learning about our amazing world helps us in our belief in God. The decline in the worship of God comes through our worship of ourselves in God's place and the rejection of objective truth.
October 20th, 2019 at 10:33:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The decline in the worship of God has little to do with our knowledge of how the world works. .

It has everything to do with it.
As we came out of ignorance
and into the light, our need
for a god to explain everything
we didn't understand evaporated.

Even today Xtions use god as
an excuse not to be proactive.
Instead of saying do some work,
find an answer, perform the
due diligence on your problem,
they say: Turn it over to god,
ask god, put it in gods hands.

The easy way out, the ignorant
way out, the surefire way to never
solve your problem and just let
circumstances and chance
solve it for you.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 21st, 2019 at 12:10:11 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
be proactive.
do some work,
find an answer, perform the
due diligence on your problem,

This is exactly what God says.

Quote:
The easy way out, the ignorant
way out, the surefire way to never
solve your problem and just let
circumstances and chance
solve it for you.

Or as you say just wait until the all-knowing and powerful science figures it out. Give it a break, you don't have the first clue about Christianity, God, or science.