The Gay Thread

September 12th, 2019 at 6:06:31 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: fleaswatter
While I do not fully agree with your position, I do understand it and where you are coming from.

I'm glad for that and thank you for the civility. I don't agree with myself, either, really. Not that that helps...

Quote: Shrek
I'm with AZ.

Accusing a person of being a pedophile is one of the worst accusations you can make about someone. It's on par with calling somebody a rapist or a murderer. In my short time here, I haven't seen anyone else on this board make such an accusation about another member. Even in real life, I can't think of one instance when someone was falsely accused of being a pedophile, and they just brushed it off like it was no big deal.

Anyway, I'm going to do the same as AZ, and I won't discuss nor even allude to this topic anymore.

I agree.

I don't fault anyone for being irate or having an emotional response over such a charge, just as I don't for those who took issue with the NAMBLA insinuation. But yet again, I'm bound by precedence and a wish to remain consistent. I have before witnessed folks refer to Catholic priests as pedophiles. We have a Catholic priest as a member. I did not ban that person. I have in the Sandusky talks witnessed folks refer to gays as pedophiles. We have gay members. I did not ban that person. Perhaps this matter should be considered differently because of the specification, and perhaps I f#$%ed that part up. But having been in similar situations and having gotten through them without punitive action,... it seemed to be the right bet. Even if I did lose it.

I've always found it interesting that lesbians rarely molest young girls. On the other hand, the overwhelming majority of pedophiles who molest young boys are gay guys. Someone should do a study on this to find out why, but in today's climate where "gay guys can do no wrong" I doubt it will ever happen.

Yes! Perfect example!

I did something similar once. Was talking guns and someone brought up demographics. Of course there was immediate backlash (racist!). I ignored that and took a look. Know what? He wasn't "right" but he damn sure wasn't wrong. And the conversation went down that path, and absolutely nothing happened. I took the stance that gun violence is a black problem. Anyone remember that bit of WoV history? Know why you don't? Because it wasn't an exercise to incite but rather to inform. I didn't make proclamations, I offered sources. I didn't disparage, I stated facts.

You want to comment on the study of rates of pedophilia across demographics? Go for it! Education is always good, and real talks are the best talks.

But speaking opinion as certainty is not going to be looked upon favorably going forward. Nor is suspected feigned ignorance, or any other bulls#$% tactic some like to play to reach across the line and get their jabs in. I will defend debate to the end. Ad homs and petty jousting I'm just tired of.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 12th, 2019 at 8:54:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face

But speaking opinion as certainty is not going to be looked upon favorably going forward.

Isn't Oncedear supposedly a mod here?
Where is he on this, he hasn't posted
since the 4th. I doubt he even reads
this thread.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 12th, 2019 at 11:30:25 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote:
he just keeps saying he supports abolishing marriage age limits.... I do not.
When did I say that? I said no such thing.

Interesting how you've explained your position on this numerous times, yet there are a couple members who continue to ignore your explanation and claim that you want to abolish marriage age limits. And nobody has called them out for "suspected feigned ignorance" or "any other bulls#$% tactic to get their jabs in".

Oh well, it is what it is. Was just wondering if you noticed.
Anyway if you're not gonna worry about it, then neither am I.

Onward and upward! 👍
September 13th, 2019 at 2:14:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Interesting how you've explained your position on this numerous times, yet there are a couple members who continue to ignore your explanation and claim that you want to abolish marriage age limits. And nobody has called them out for "suspected feigned ignorance" or "any other bulls#$% tactic to get their jabs in".

Oh well, it is what it is. Was just wondering if you noticed.
Anyway if you're not gonna worry about it, then neither am I.

Onward and upward! 👍

See, they are really upset because all I have done is use the same reasoning that the gay marriage supporters gave to legalize gay marriage. All of the sudden they decide we need to have "restrictions" on marriage. For years "that two people love each other" was all that supposedly mattered.

I also used their logic about abortion in the same way. "Her body, her choice!" Is what matters to them for abortion. For abortion she is somehow old enough to make a decision without her parents involved. Ditto for using birth control pills. Now all of a sudden she is not old enough.

No logic in their positions or arguments.
The President is a fink.
September 13th, 2019 at 5:19:32 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
You didn't use "logic" in the same way. You removed the "between consenting adults" requirement of gay marriage, and THEN applied "people who love each other" to something else.

Then you go on and apply "people should be able to choose whatever they want" to a bunch of other situations, none of which are related to gay marriage.

Basically, you gave taken the arguments for gay marriage out of context and selectively apply those arguments, with out their context or conditions, to other things.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 13th, 2019 at 5:41:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Dalex64
You didn't use "logic" in the same way. You removed the "between consenting adults" requirement of gay marriage, and THEN applied "people who love each other" to something else.

Then you go on and apply "people should be able to choose whatever they want" to a bunch of other situations, none of which are related to gay marriage.

Basically, you gave taken the arguments for gay marriage out of context and selectively apply those arguments, with out their context or conditions, to other things.

Sorry, but I did use them exactly. There was no "consenting adult" part of gay marriage, just that "they love each other." In any case, libs are for teens being allowed to get birth control outside parental consent. Therefore, they must feel these teens are adult enough to make their own decisions.

It just shows how faulty the whole gay marriage argument was that the same people who favored it all of the sudden say "it does not apply here."

Limbaugh is so right that when you turn liberal's logic back on them they cannot handle it.
The President is a fink.
September 13th, 2019 at 5:56:40 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
That's why I hardly ever respond to you on political issues.
Your arguments are a mess of opinion, denial, and omission.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 13th, 2019 at 6:02:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Dalex64
That's why I hardly ever respond to you on political issues.
Your arguments are a mess of opinion, denial, and omission.

"Opinion" in a political argument? Call the media!

Meanwhile all the liberal arguments on here are just a mess.
The President is a fink.
September 13th, 2019 at 9:03:49 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
See, they are really upset because all I have done is use the same reasoning that the gay marriage supporters gave to legalize gay marriage. All of the sudden they decide we need to have "restrictions" on marriage. For years "that two people love each other" was all that supposedly mattered.

I also used their logic about abortion in the same way. "Her body, her choice!" Is what matters to them for abortion. For abortion she is somehow old enough to make a decision without her parents involved. Ditto for using birth control pills. Now all of a sudden she is not old enough.

No logic in their positions or arguments.

Quote:
A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

The typical straw man argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition through the covert replacement of it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and the subsequent refutation of that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the opponent's proposition. Straw man arguments have been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly regarding highly charged emotional subjects.

The straw man fallacy occurs in the following pattern of argument:
Person 1 asserts proposition X.
Person 2 argues against a superficially similar proposition Y, falsely, as if an argument against Y were an argument against X.

This reasoning is a fallacy of relevance: it fails to address the proposition in question by misrepresenting the opposing position.
For example:
Quoting an opponent's words out of context—i.e., choosing quotations that misrepresent the opponent's intentions (see fallacy of quoting out of context).
Presenting someone who defends a position poorly as the defender, then denying that person's arguments—thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position (and thus the position itself) has been defeated.
Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking this oversimplified version.
Exaggerating (sometimes grossly exaggerating) an opponent's argument, then attacking this exaggerated version.

Examples
Straw man arguments often arise in public debates such as a (hypothetical) prohibition debate:
A: We should relax the laws on beer.
B: No, any society with unrestricted access to intoxicants loses its work ethic and goes only for immediate gratification.
The original proposal was to relax laws on beer. Person B has misconstrued/misrepresented this proposal by responding to it as if it had been something like "(we should have) unrestricted access to intoxicants." It is a logical fallacy because Person A never advocated allowing said unrestricted access to intoxicants (this is also a slippery slope argument).

This, AZD, is what you are doing to a "T". You have taken the statement "marry who you love" and are arguing that it includes children. No one said children. No one said fetuses, corporations, or any other non-people, nor have they included children, the mentally deficient, the vegetative state, or any other entity deemed incapable of making decisions. You have oversimplified the argument and are now attacking the oversimplification.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 13th, 2019 at 9:50:33 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Sorry, but I did use them exactly. There was no "consenting adult" part of gay marriage, just that "they love each other." In any case, libs are for teens being allowed to get birth control outside parental consent. Therefore, they must feel these teens are adult enough to make their own decisions.

It just shows how faulty the whole gay marriage argument was that the same people who favored it all of the sudden say "it does not apply here."

Limbaugh is so right that when you turn liberal's logic back on them they cannot handle it.

Yep, this is why it's impossible to debate libbies. They say something one second, but as soon as you repeat it back to them, they exclaim in horror, "I never said that!!!"

WTF?! How in the world is one supposed to debate people who deny reality?? 🤷

In this case, libbies argued over & over that you should be able to marry "whoever you love". That was the only criteria according to libbies—whoever you love! Nothing else!!

But ever since gay marriage became legal, the libbies now want to start putting restrictions on marriage. For example, when you point out that polygamists fit the "marry whoever you love" criteria, the libbies flip out and say, "No, it can only be 2 people! No more than that!" And when you point out that people under 18 also fit the "marry whoever you love" criteria, they flip out again and place another restriction, and they cry with anger, "No, it can only be consenting adults, damn it!!"

Oh, the irony! All of a sudden marrying "whoever you love" is no longer good enough!

This is why libbies are impossible to deal with. They used one argument to get their way on gay marriage, but when you try to apply THEIR argument to other cases, they flip out and start placing all these new restrictions on who can and can't get married. So dishonest, but hey, I've come to expect it from DEMocRATS. 🙄