Democratic debates

September 8th, 2019 at 1:18:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Really no need for a primary when you are the party in power.

Getting "primaried" is a short way of referring to an incumbent who is severely challenged or beaten in the primaries by another candidate from your own party.

The only incumbent Republican President in the last century to be "primaried" was in 1976 when Ronald Reagan made a serious challenge against Gerald Ford.

Gerald Ford was House Minority Leader for 8 years.With Agnew's unexpected departure, and the state of Richard Nixon's presidency, Speaker of the House Carl Albert (Democrat) was suddenly first in line to become acting president. The vacancy continued until Gerald Ford was sworn in as vice president on December 6, 1973. To be fair, Gerald Ford promised that when he was appointed to replace Spiro Agnew as VP he would not use his position to run for national office.
September 8th, 2019 at 11:55:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Good news:

Warren and Clinton talk behind the scenes as 2020 race intensifies. Neither camp wants to talk about it, but the two women have recently grown closer.

Latching onto Hillary is a surefire
way to win. lol

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/warren-clinton-talk-behind-scenes-2020-race-intensifies-n1049701
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 10th, 2019 at 5:07:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Beta O’Rourke claims ‘living close to work’ is a ‘right’

Everything is a "right" to these loons, except the right to keep and bear arms......
The President is a fink.
September 10th, 2019 at 8:07:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Everything is a "right" to these loons, except the right to keep and bear arms......

Beeto doesn't work, how would he
know. His wife's fam are billionaires.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 11th, 2019 at 6:07:12 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

Beeto is in desperation mode, clearly. The concept of WANTING to live near work makes sense. The concept of it being good for the environment makes sense. The fact that it tends to be easier for a wealthy person to be able to live closer to a job makes sense. Get rid of the concept of it being a "right" and he has some decent talking points.

As a teenager, I commuted 3 hours a day to a minimum wage job. I never once thought I had a RIGHT to a job closer to where I lived. Nor would I want the government to confer thet 'right' upon me.
September 11th, 2019 at 7:24:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO

Beeto is in desperation mode, clearly. The concept of WANTING to live near work makes sense. The concept of it being good for the environment makes sense. The fact that it tends to be easier for a wealthy person to be able to live closer to a job makes sense. Get rid of the concept of it being a "right" and he has some decent talking points.

As a teenager, I commuted 3 hours a day to a minimum wage job. I never once thought I had a RIGHT to a job closer to where I lived. Nor would I want the government to confer thet 'right' upon me.

They keep watering down what a "right" is. On one hand, there is a point that many people cannot reside near work. OTOH, tough, it has always been that way. Many people commute to lower end jobs in places like the Hamptons because they get paid better and the customers are a higher class of people. People commute to work across the street from the NYSE just to meet traders and get an in.
The President is a fink.
September 11th, 2019 at 7:56:29 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Housing close to work is not a right
But
Affordable housing in this country is a problem. A lot of this problem arises from wealthy communities totally against nearby affordable housing and put in zoning regulations to prevent nearby affordable housing.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 11th, 2019 at 10:28:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined

But
Affordable housing in this country is a problem. A lot of this problem arises from wealthy communities totally against nearby affordable housing and put in zoning regulations to prevent nearby affordable housing.

Yup, mostly in the Blue States. Funny that.
The President is a fink.
September 11th, 2019 at 11:12:47 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined

But

Your point is a great point, Ed. Makes sense, and is true. But saying it your way, without using the 'its a right' part, is not edgy enough for a candidate in clear desperation mode.
September 12th, 2019 at 2:36:35 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Clown show part 3 tonight, on ABC starting at 8pm.

MAGA
Let's go Brandon