8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

February 19th, 2020 at 4:47:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
I think Bob was responding to me, and I ain’t no lefty! Innoway I am not disagreeing with Bob, and that most presidents have been tall. All I am saying is that it really is a relevant, or at least should be. If the American populace will disqualify someone for being short, well, then it is our loss.I have so many other reasons to disqualify Bloomberg I don’t even see his height!

You are not quite seeing it. It is not "disqualifying because of height." Not intentionally. It is that a leader has to have presence. Look at how so many people liked Obama just because of "how he talked." That might be what put him over on Hillary, who just sounds awful when she talks. Like fingernails on a blackboard.

McCain looked like a management trainee talking to the CEO when he talked to Obama and lost big.

Height gives presence. It's why short guys often overcompensate when they take charge.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2020 at 5:32:54 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Tripdufan
Waiting for a REAL conservative, not members of the cult, to tell me when deficit spending in a roaring economy became fiscally conservative.

Didn't Ronald Reagan, the original modern conservative, start the era of huge deficit spending?
February 19th, 2020 at 5:40:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Didn't Ronald Reagan, the original modern conservative, start the era of huge deficit spending?

Not really. It started in the early 70s with baseline budgeting.

As long as deficits stay at 3% or less of GDP or so they are not “huge.” That level is in fact almost structural and a good thing.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2020 at 6:10:00 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
To get back on topic, I caucused yesterday. Three-hour wait. I overheard people in line saying they left other locations that had even longer waits. Here was the routine:

1. Wait in one line to pass security and get in the building.
2. Accept an index card with a 3-digit number on it.
3. Wait a long time for your number to be called.
4. Wait in another line.
5. Caucus. This entailed filling out a card with your top three to five choices, in order. You had to do with with a caucus worker right in front of you, but she didn't seem to pay attention to my picks.

I skipped step 3 by leaving and returning later.

I won't say who I picked, but I will say Nevada should scrap the caucus system. I see no benefit to it at all compared to voting. With most people caucusing early, it pretty much is like voting, but there are very limited times and places, thus the long lines.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 19th, 2020 at 6:18:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Note that all of your examples are before TV. Same as a guy in a wheelchair would not be elected in 1932 if there was TV. Maybe not even today.

Height means presence. People appreciate presence even when they cannot articulate why they are appreciating it.

well, there is a string of losers who were tall.

John Kerry was 6'4
Romney was 6'2
Jesse Ventura 6'4

Some of the taller current candidates are already out.

Cory Booker is 6 2.
Beta O' Rourke is 6'4'
Tom Steyer is pretty tall and he's probably out.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2020 at 6:22:02 AM permalink
rxwine
Also Hillary got 3 million more votes being shorter than Trump.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2020 at 6:25:04 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: rxwine
Let's see.

Winston Churchill 5'6"
Napoleon Bonaparte 5'6"
Benito Mussolini 5'6"
Alexander the Great 5'6"
Joseph Stalin 5'5"
James Madison 5'4"
Joan of Arc 5'2"
Cleopatra 5'0"
And they were all fine presidents too.
February 19th, 2020 at 6:31:19 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: pew
And they were all fine presidents too.

They weren't necessarily anything but leaders.
February 19th, 2020 at 6:33:37 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: Wizard
To get back on topic, I caucused yesterday. Three-hour wait. I overheard people in line saying they left other locations that had even longer waits. Here was the routine:

1. Wait in one line to pass security and get in the building.
2. Accept an index card with a 3-digit number on it.
3. Wait a long time for your number to be called.
4. Wait in another line.
5. Caucus. This entailed filling out a card with your top three to five choices, in order. You had to do with with a caucus worker right in front of you, but she didn't seem to pay attention to my picks.

I skipped step 3 by leaving and returning later.

I won't say who I picked, but I will say Nevada should scrap the caucus system. I see no benefit to it at all compared to voting. With most people caucusing early, it pretty much is like voting, but there are very limited times and places, thus the long lines.

This was the early caucus, correct? I was confused as the official date is this weekend. But I see they had a new process for early caucusing, which I support.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
February 19th, 2020 at 6:42:29 AM permalink
rxwine
Also Ross Perot was 5'5". Do you think he was really defeated? Hard to say. I think he defeated himself when he flaked towards the end in some sort of paranoia episode.