8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

February 14th, 2020 at 3:46:09 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: RonC
This happens because most (almost all) are in office and have no exit plan...they want to stay in political office of sometime for life.

This is true. BUT...the question for the politicians is, HOW do they stay in office? By courting big money and special interest because that's how they win the "money primary," which is more important than the voting primary? By gerrymandering their districts so that they pick their voters?

Or

If we didn't allow big money to fund/influence our campaigns ("corporations are people"), would they be FORCED to court....the "rest of us" who have been "pretty much screwed"?
February 14th, 2020 at 3:49:56 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Quote: AZDuffman
We need no "answers." We have a system most people like. Doubt me? Remember how the biggest supporters of Obamacare demanded they be exempt from it?

I doubt you. Refresh my memory.

Or maybe I can save us both some time? https://www.factcheck.org/2013/05/congress-and-an-exemption-from-obamacare/
February 14th, 2020 at 3:51:38 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tripdufan
I doubt you. Refresh my memory.

Congress and unions to name two.
The President is a fink.
February 14th, 2020 at 4:05:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: RonC
This happens because most (almost all) are in office and have no exit plan...they want to stay in political office of sometime for life. I know some disagree but I don't see a hill of beans difference between the two flavors of politicians on that issue. That means that they are more interested in reelection than anything else; getting tossed out of office for doing the "right thing" never even comes to mind. Each little area of the country may not like Congress, but they tend to like their own pet Congressperson.

Once staying in office is the most important things, it necessarily means that not much will get done. Even when one party has the Congress and the Presidency, less gets done than should get done. I realize our government was kind of designed to not move too fast but I don't think they designed it to do nothing. We don't fix failed policy; we don't fix problems.

The politicians benefit from the division. The big money people and groups benefit from the division. The rest of us? pretty much screwed.

...but my life is good overall!!
^^ This
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 14th, 2020 at 4:09:04 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Quote: petroglyph
^^ This

Sure. We've identified the problem. Now....ideas for solutions? Larry Lessig had some ideas in the video I posted. Any others?
February 14th, 2020 at 4:10:17 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Congress and unions to name two.

That is not true. Not a single union is exempt. And nor is congress.

Every Union I know of has healthcare that far exceeds the minimum required under the affordable care act. The same applies to Congress...

There are some exemptions, but very bizarre circumstances (basically the same kind of people who are exempt from SS, IE religious groups that petition to be exempt like Amish types.....) This is a statistically insignificant percentage... Its the same concept, the religious group has to prove that they provide retirement and healthcare for their members and they can be exempt from SS (and from the Affordable Care Act when that went into effect), it is basically an exemption for the extreme religious that demand to live off the grid in their own communities... Those are not exemptions I agree with, I don't think religious groups should be able to opt out of gov programs, but that is a legitimate exemption to discuss. Congress and Unions, that is just false, never has been true. .....
February 14th, 2020 at 4:16:54 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
That is not true. Not a single union is exempt. And nor is congress.

Did say *IS* exempt. Said "TRIED TO EXEMPT THEMSELVES.* And boy oh boy did those two try. Classic example of "one set of rules, another set for themselves."

Do you not remember the attempt to exempt collectively bargained health care plans from the "Cadillac Plan Tax?"

It is classic. As soon as a liberal proposes a "government plan" they propose they are exempt.

If you have not read "Animal Farm" you really need to do so.
The President is a fink.
February 14th, 2020 at 4:19:44 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Did say *IS* exempt. Said "TRIED TO EXEMPT THEMSELVES.* And boy oh boy did those two try. Classic example of "one set of rules, another set for themselves."

Do you not remember the attempt to exempt collectively bargained health care plans from the "Cadillac Plan Tax?"

It is classic. As soon as a liberal proposes a "government plan" they propose they are exempt.

If you have not read "Animal Farm" you really need to do so.

Which is why a Universal Single Payer Plan is best if that is your concern.
February 14th, 2020 at 4:25:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
Which is why a Universal Single Payer Plan is best if that is your concern.

Only if you want to be a serf to the government.

Are you really naive enough to think everyone will be "equal" under such a plan?

Why on earth would you trust a government that has treated people the way ours has?
The President is a fink.
February 14th, 2020 at 4:28:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Tripdufan
Sure. We've identified the problem. Now....ideas for solutions? Larry Lessig had some ideas in the video I posted. Any others?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW