2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

February 14th, 2020 at 2:55:26 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
I'm sensing a campaign slogan. lol
To this day occasionally it will be brought up with my adult kids, about an episode on Cheers.

The regular crowd was believing the doublespeak of some politician running for office, and Frazier was beside himself because the politico never actually said anything, he just shuffled words around.

So they had a challenge and asked the candidate what he stood for, and this is the answer that we continue to laugh about, when asked what he stood for, he replied, "I stand for the issues that affect you and your family the most". The crowd was in awe, but the candidate never said anything that he could be pinned on.

Similar.

added: Start at 1;20
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 14th, 2020 at 2:59:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Tripdufan

Not hard to ascertain what he was saying. I'd like to see the whole segment to see the context.

There is no context, just more
babblespeak..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 14th, 2020 at 3:01:38 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

Not hard to ascertain what he was saying. I'd like to see the whole segment to see the context.

babblespeak..

It's actually a pretty good phrase.

It means if you cannot trust the Democratic process, every other issue becomes diluted...

I dont understand why so many people are confused about this quote..
February 14th, 2020 at 3:24:41 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0

babblespeak..

Here's the context:

During a CNN town hall on Thursday night, Buttigieg was asked if he could enact one specific policy as president, what it would be.

"Just one? Wow," Buttigieg reacted. "Let me say this, it's not a sizzling, glamorous issue, but the shape of our democracy is the issue that affects every other issue. So in order for us to get better outcomes on funding public education, on dealing with gun violence... there are so many issues and areas from climate to gun violence where Americans want something and Washington cannot deliver. That if you've got to pick one thing to fix, it's politics. It's Washington. And there are concrete things we can do about it."

Pretty simple to understand. Refer to the Ted talk video I posted with Larry Lessig. Awesome video that does a way better job explaining the problem than I ever could.
February 14th, 2020 at 3:31:28 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
We live in a country where time and time again the majority of us want something and it doesn't get done because of big money and organized special interest. That should piss us off. That should UNITE us, not divide us.

This happens because most (almost all) are in office and have no exit plan...they want to stay in political office of some kind for life. I know some disagree but I don't see a hill of beans difference between the two flavors of politicians on that issue. That means that they are more interested in reelection than anything else; getting tossed out of office for doing the "right thing" never even comes to mind. Each little area of the country may not like Congress, but they tend to like their own pet Congressperson.

Once staying in office is the most important things, it necessarily means that not much will get done. Even when one party has the Congress and the Presidency, less gets done than should get done. I realize our government was kind of designed to not move too fast but I don't think they designed it to do nothing. We don't fix failed policy; we don't fix problems.

The politicians benefit from the division. The big money people and groups benefit from the division. The rest of us? pretty much screwed.

...but my life is good overall!!
February 14th, 2020 at 3:31:30 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: SOOPOO
The changing demographics are an acid attacking the Republican party. 2032 AOC runs for President and wins in a landslide over Ivanka.

You read it here first.
I think AZ is right on this one. The US will collapse before that ever happens.

When the civil war starts, I ain't worried at all.

February 14th, 2020 at 3:33:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Take just last week. Support for impeachment witnesses were around 75%. Yet, we didn't get witnesses. (Cracks me up to hear Republicans say, "we should let the voters decide", and then they vote to DEPRIVE the voters of the very information that would HELP them decide. Even "the poorly educated" that Trump loves so much should be able to figure this one out.)

Democrats could have called witnesses during their hearings, that they did not shows there was no reason for them.

We have representatives to prevent mob rule.
The President is a fink.
February 14th, 2020 at 3:34:00 PM permalink
Shrek
Quote: petroglyph
Yup, this is what I want in the WH.
He's got my vote..

I'm sure that photo will deter many of the old rust belt folks, but I wonder how many millenials and gen Z will vote for Buttigeg to prove they aren't homophobic?

That's actually a really good point. Millennials and Gen Z'ers have already been brainwashed by the libbies so anything's possible. I still say that the civil war will come before that though.
February 14th, 2020 at 3:35:05 PM permalink
Shrek
Melania looks so beautiful!
But who are the other two men?? 🤣🤣

Actor James Woods put this on
Twitter. Sobering.

February 14th, 2020 at 3:42:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Just for the record, EVERY time I have posted this video where Trump ADMITS that universal health care is BETTER than the system we have here, EVERY time, EVEYR conservative has ignored it and not responded.

Fine. Here is your answer. WE ARE NOT MIND NUMBED ROBOTS WHO BELIEVE SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE OUR GUY LIKES IT!

I realize this is a hard thing to understand for people who beg their money and freedom to be taken away because a liberal pol who lives in a mansion and flies private jets says "the planet has a fever."

Socialized medicine is NOT BETTER.

Libs think socialized medicine means they can see any doctor they want and get all the "free" healthcare they want. Sorry, that is not the reality.

The reality is that you will be told where, when, and who you can see. The reality is eventually your skin color will matter in this. (Remember 60s/70s affirmative action? Liberal support for reparations? Believe me, sooner or later it will matter.)

You will be a serf to the government.

I don't know about you but I would rather starve because I cannot afford to eat than starve because I am told I cannot visit the grocery store for 6 months.

We need no "answers." We have a system most people like. Doubt me? Remember how the biggest supporters of Obamacare demanded they be exempt from it?

Beg to be a serf if you prefer. I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
The President is a fink.