A vocation in a vocation

January 29th, 2018 at 2:53:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
, but never once did I think of god. Not. One. Time.
I think that is known as living your faith (or lack of it) which is pretty much the same thing.

No bottom? Right! The drowning man who sees a log floating towards him had better be prepared to see two beady eyes on it.
January 29th, 2018 at 2:56:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
"There are no atheists in foxholes" says it all.

Silliness personified. It's what Xtions
believe about atheists, you would never
have an atheist saying it or thinking it,
even if he were in a foxhole. Wouldn't
even enter his head. If it did, he's not
an atheist.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 29th, 2018 at 3:09:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Who prays in a foxhole? Even the most devoutly religious man if he finds himself in a foxhole should concentrate on keeping his weapon clean and fully loaded, staying awake and fully alert. Pray before a battle or after a battle, but when doing a stint in a foxhole, pay attention to what is truly important.
January 29th, 2018 at 3:26:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff
Who prays in a foxhole?

Foxholes and trench warfare pretty
much ended in 1918. WWII was a
mobile war, lots of aircraft and tanks
and moving all the time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 29th, 2018 at 4:10:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Who prays in a foxhole? Even the most devoutly religious man if he finds himself in a foxhole should concentrate on keeping his weapon clean and fully loaded, staying awake and fully alert. Pray before a battle or after a battle, but when doing a stint in a foxhole, pay attention to what is truly important.

Pinned down for hours, one will find the time.
The President is a fink.
January 29th, 2018 at 4:22:04 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Foxholes and trench warfare pretty
much ended in 1918. WWII was a
mobile war, lots of aircraft and tanks
and moving all the time.

FWIW. If foxhole fighting had ended in WWI, my ex would not have earned the Silver Star in Vietnam 1972. He and 1 other guy were back-to-back in one for a very long nighttime, holding a forward position with rifles and thousands of rounds.

They did not count the VC dead around them when they finally got reinforcements and pulled out the next day. The closest number he would say was "hundreds".

I don't know the rest of the details. Apparently they were guarding the rest of their unit/battalion /company/whatever group and stopped the attack on the main group by themselves.

He doesn't talk about it.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 29th, 2018 at 4:31:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Face

There is no bottom, and don't ever be so foolish as to believe there is one. What looks like a firm landing can be passed through with no effort at all.

I'm gonna remember that if I ever fall into a outhouse toilet.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 29th, 2018 at 4:46:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: beachbumbabs
FWIW. If foxhole fighting had ended in WWI, my ex

Was he an atheist? Did he pray?
January 29th, 2018 at 4:51:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Pinned down for hours, one will find the time.

I'm constantly amazed at how many
people here don't know what atheism
is. Praying for an atheist is like trying
to use a .38 caliber bullet in a .22 pistol.
It would never even occur to you to
try it.
January 29th, 2018 at 4:59:27 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Was he an atheist? Did he pray?

He was 19 and raised a Bapolic. (Baptist-Catholic) I'm sure he did pray, though I think he lost his faith over there and became an agnostic/realist as a result. I'm closer to an atheist than he is, and I would say I have one foot in each camp.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has