A vocation in a vocation

Page 16 of 16« First<13141516
June 2nd, 2018 at 6:00:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble
No monkhood for me, though its appeal is still very strong.

I am sure the decision was correct and will do you well. Maybe reward yourself with a few hours a week of the kind of reflection the monkhood would have provided. Or a week a year vacation?
The President is a fink.
June 2nd, 2018 at 6:37:18 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Thanks AZ!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 2nd, 2018 at 7:08:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
This is the real reason FrG isn't going:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 2nd, 2018 at 7:09:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Here you go.

Quote:
The Road Not Taken

By Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 2nd, 2018 at 7:28:44 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
Here you go.

One of the finest poems ever written. Well chosen here.

Speaking of good choices, Father, I commend you on yours. I think it takes a particular type of bravery to face the demons you know rather than change your situation. I wish you much happiness and a renewed sense of spirit in your vocation.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 2nd, 2018 at 7:46:04 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
Probably not the best place to get spiritual direction or advice, but I have found the conversations and insights here at times very helpful. I am currently discerning the possibility of religious life and becoming a monk. This is a big change from a diocesan priest. A monk lives in community and gives up all worldly possessions and things to live a life of intense prayer. Right now I'm on the front lines so to speak as a parish priest and this new vocation in a vocation would be a kind of retreat into the monestary. I would miss the active life I live now but the call to be more radically committed to prayer is strong. I of course welcome any thoughts, questions, or comments it might be very helpful in my discernment. God bless!

Padre - you know where I stand on religion so I will not restate that herein - I will merely answer your question as I would to anyone seeking to change their career, so to speak:

If you are not fulfilled in your present role, then, by all means, seek out something you that will fulfill you -- we all have our own dreams and wishes for our lives - if becoming a monk leads you towards your dreams, then I say go for it

If you are merely posting this to get a pat on the back for your future life of asceticism, then that likely runs counter to how a monk should think

Do you think your pull towards monastic life was brought about by a Hume-ian "is/ought' quandary?
June 2nd, 2018 at 8:29:59 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I'm glad you have a favorably view of asceticism. I was a little surprised by the negative view held by some for that way of life. Nevertheless that was not the reason.

Nothing I do or believe is influenced by Hume. I love the guy and he's brilliant. But I think his "is/ought" guillotine is self- contradictory and ends up cutting off his head and humanity's.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
Page 16 of 16« First<13141516