Easter: Message of Jesus?

Page 28 of 31« First<25262728293031>
April 14th, 2020 at 1:43:48 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: SOOPOO
The entire Bible? Genesis? Who wrote Genesis, and when?
Probably Moses wrote it as an editor using material written by Adam himself and Abraham plus other writings that were preserved on clay tablets and papyrus paper by other individuals. Moses also wrote directly of his own experiences salted with inspiration from God himself. That is the answer plain and simple.
April 14th, 2020 at 2:36:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why would you think that?

Because when you believe
in some silly god, you blame
him for everything. It stops
you from having to think
for yourself.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 14th, 2020 at 2:40:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: pew
Probably Moses wrote it as an editor

Yeah, no. Bible historians now say
Moses never existed, he's a myth.
Like the stories of the Red Sea
opening, and locusts, and first
born dying in Egypt, and the Jews
wandering for 40 years. It's all
made up stories.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 14th, 2020 at 4:26:45 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Evenbob
Yeah, no. Bible historians now say
Moses never existed, he's a myth.
Like the stories of the Red Sea
opening, and locusts, and first
born dying in Egypt, and the Jews
wandering for 40 years. It's all
made up stories.
Probably Moses wrote it as an editor using material written by Adam himself and Abraham plus other writings that were preserved on clay tablets and papyrus paper by other individuals. Moses also wrote directly of his own experiences salted with inspiration from God himself. That is the answer plain and simple.
April 14th, 2020 at 5:11:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Why would you think that? Isn't it more reasonable to think someone just made up a story?

Why I think that is a big question with a lot of things that led to my belief. Rest assured they are all reasonable.

A made up story doesn't have the impact and historical, scientific, and archeological support that the Bible has.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 14th, 2020 at 5:18:47 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: FrGamble
Why I think that is a big question with a lot of things that led to my belief. Rest assured they are all reasonable.

A made up story doesn't have the impact and historical, scientific, and archeological support that the Bible has.

Sorry to sound like Bob, but that answer is just mumbo-jumbo. As I've said in most of my religion discussions, those that believe in God do so because of something not explainable. When they try and explain 'faith' to a rational person, they always fail.

If you described any of the major religions to a psychiatrist, and he was just listening to the facts, he would conclude that any believer was insane.

You can deny it all you wish.

Keep doing all the good things you do for people, and it really doesn't matter if there is a God or there isn't.
April 14th, 2020 at 5:20:14 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

The bible has no archaeological support. (Unless you loosely mean archeological support for certain places mentioned at various points, which is virtually meaningless....)

And minimal historical support, other than some primary source documents confirming that some people in the bible may have existed, at some time. But, no historical support of any of the claims that would support it being the word of God.

The Koran, actually has more historical support. (Thanks to the violent history of the religion forcing it to spread and be historically relevant).

Having some historical truths does not make a book the word of God.

Almost, every fiction book I enjoy (most classics) contain historical truths, that does not mean the main premise is factual or the narrative relevant to how to live your life.
April 14th, 2020 at 6:15:55 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
SOOPOO: Remember there a lot of things that we both believe on faith and trust in something that is not explainable. Faith to a rational person makes perfect sense, we need it to live our lives and function. Blind faith doesn't make sense to a rational person because it is not rational. Or a faith that doesn't really matter if it's true or not will never make sense to a rational person like yourself. If you continue to believe that if there is a God doesn't really matter then I think there is nothing to say, except this; believing that it doesn't matter if God exists or not doesn't sound like the thinking of the rational and reasonable person you are.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 14th, 2020 at 8:44:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: pew
Probably Moses wrote it as an editor

What part of 'Moses was a myth'
don't you understand. Even the
Jewish Torah historians admit
that Moses never existed, he's
a made up character.
April 14th, 2020 at 9:03:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
SOOPOO: believing that it doesn't matter if God exists or not doesn't sound like the thinking of the rational and reasonable person you are.

Of course it's rational and reasonable.
What possible difference does it
make if a god exists or doesn't.
I can't tell a persons belief's by
looking at them, unless they're
wearing religious symbols. I can't
look at their lifestyle, there are
just as many successful atheists
as god believers.

I can't tell by their moral choices,
atheists are some of the most
moral people I know. It's been
proven that god people praying
for the sick doesn't work and it
has the same effect on the patient
as the atheist not praying.

The only way a god matters is if
you choose to play the Parker
Bros board game, Xtianity. Where
you advance around the board,
doing everything just right, and
maybe, just maybe, you get some
kind of reward after you die.

Life is too short to be wasted on
such nonsense. That's the logical
and reasonable conclusion.
Page 28 of 31« First<25262728293031>