No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

February 21st, 2017 at 12:53:54 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
Safe and unsafe neighborhoods are due to economics, not religion

One of the main alternate facts believed by most lefties. Many people have much more control over their economic status than is presented by the lefties. Many "underprivileged" choose to maintain their lifestyle at the level it is at because they don't want to have to conform to the norms of society that would allow them to function as a full fledged member of said society. They don't want to relocate to where a job is available and generally "I wouldn't do that s**t job no matter how much they paid me".
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 21st, 2017 at 1:00:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: kenarman
They don't want to relocate to where a job is available and generally "I wouldn't do that s**t job no matter how much they paid me".

Funny how when they want to relocate to the US they're told to wait 50 years or get kicked out....

BTW, safe and unsafe areas are a feature of all cities since there's been features and cities.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 21st, 2017 at 1:26:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
One of the main alternate facts believed by most lefties. Many people have much more control over their economic status than is presented by the lefties. Many "underprivileged" choose to maintain their lifestyle at the level it is at because they don't want to have to conform to the norms of society that would allow them to function as a full fledged member of said society. They don't want to relocate to where a job is available and generally "I wouldn't do that s**t job no matter how much they paid me".

Huh, the right says it's illegal immigrants taking jobs. You're saying jobs are available.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 21st, 2017 at 2:54:34 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17

What a horrid point of view, aside from its utter falsity. Yeah, the poor are all lazy. And anybody who's poor can easily choose not to be. Riiiiiight.
February 21st, 2017 at 4:55:47 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: stinkingliberal
What a horrid point of view, aside from its utter falsity. Yeah, the poor are all lazy. And anybody who's poor can easily choose not to be. Riiiiiight.

Where in my post did I say 'lazy'? The first and main point in my post is that many people do not want to give up the freedom they have being homeless by moving into somewhere where rules kick in. Many people who live on limited income chose to stay on limited income rather than go to a 9 - 5 regime. Would they take more 'free' money with no strings attached, of course but they don't aren't ready to change their life style.

The new immigrants don't want to live in communities with no or a small number of other immigrants even though jobs are often easier to find in these communities. They almost always relocate to a location where there is a large enough group to sustain there culture and speak their own language. I am not saying this is right or wrong but it can often leave them dependent on public support longer. It certainly takes away the pressure to adjust to a new culture.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 21st, 2017 at 5:21:00 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Quote: terapined
Safe and unsafe neighborhoods are due to economics, not religion

For some reason I never felt threatened when walking in the poor Jewish neighborhoods in Baltimore. Yes, not all Jews are rich.
February 21st, 2017 at 6:02:54 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: buzzardknot
For some reason I never felt threatened when walking in the poor Jewish neighborhoods in Baltimore. Yes, not all Jews are rich.

Which neighborhood in Baltimore is a poor Jewish neighborhood?
I cant recall one
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 21st, 2017 at 8:46:03 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Park heights avenue and parts of Liberty Heights avenue. Late 50's early 60's before block busting. Many were immigrants and worked at below minimum wages to pay back expenses to emigrate. Same thing with a lot of Greek and Chinese restaurants. In Greek diner near my house. Nick the Greek got only room and board and a few dollars a week for 80 hour weeks for 3 years.

My first job was in Schrieber brothers grocery store on Liberty Heights Avenue.
February 21st, 2017 at 8:55:19 PM permalink
buzzardknot
I think most of the Jews now are way out Reisterstown Road. Don't mean this as racist, but some will take it that way. But Jewish community flourished a lot because they shopped at Jewish owned business's. Successful businessmen would make interest free loans for another Jew who wanted to go in business. If he failed, the debt was usually forgiven. Guy might even get a second chance, if he failed again, that was it. Better look for a job. Money stayed in Jewish communities. Not so in a lot of other ethnicities.

I know lots of friends who wouldn't go to a buddies business, out of jealousy. Remember a guy I worked with, he grew up in New York. His best friend wanted him to go partners on opening a pizza parlor. Jerry told him, " I don't make pizzas, I eat them " Wanna guess who is the millionaire today ?
February 21st, 2017 at 9:37:11 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Where in my post did I say 'lazy'? The first and main point in my post is that many people do not want to give up the freedom they have being homeless by moving into somewhere where rules kick in. Many people who live on limited income chose to stay on limited income rather than go to a 9 - 5 regime. Would they take more 'free' money with no strings attached, of course but they don't aren't ready to change their life style.

The new immigrants don't want to live in communities with no or a small number of other immigrants even though jobs are often easier to find in these communities. They almost always relocate to a location where there is a large enough group to sustain there culture and speak their own language. I am not saying this is right or wrong but it can often leave them dependent on public support longer. It certainly takes away the pressure to adjust to a new culture.

Well, the "voluntary homeless" mythos is also ridiculous. Sure, there are a few people who choose to live on the street, but it's a miserable existence and the vast majority of the homeless want a place to live. Yes, even if they have to work.

I've worked extensively with the homeless, volunteering for various organizations, and the misconceptions that the public has about them--they're all screwed up somehow, they're all drug addicts, they all really WANT to live in cardboard boxes--seriously impede the provision of the help they need.