December 24th, 2020 at 6:44:15 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Talk about a holiday right up Trumps alley
The airing of grievances
Go on twitter right now Christmas Eve
and what's on Trumps mind
Grievance after grievance after grievance
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 24th, 2020 at 7:33:37 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: SOOPOO
But you forget that SOMEONE lent the money to the landlord! And you are proposing that there be a GOVERNMENT policy saying that the person (or bank, or credit union, etc..) loaning the money is just out of luck?

If the loan is a mortgage, the two parties made an agreement that the loan taker can have all the money, and then pay it back under defined terms. It doesn't say if there is a pandemic the loan is forgiven! If the mortgage cannot be repaid, there was an agreed upon remedy... the property becomes owned by the person that loaned the other person the money!

I intentionally used the word person instead of "company" or "bank", as it makes what is happening clearer.

If the government wants to use tax dollars to pay off the mortgage, that is a different decision. But just to say "f... the person who loaned the money is not right".

No, I am saying everyone should share in the pain, all the way up to the investors.

There is no reason for a landlord to have to assume the full burden of a rent moratorium.

All of that loan agreement stuff is out the window when you are talking about pandemic-inspired rent forgiveness, which throws it's own agreements out the window.

If you can modify a rent agreement because of a pandemic, you can modify a loan, and modify guaranteed rates of return. My argument depends on the assumption that an agreement, at some level, is going to be broken, so no agreements at any level are sacrosanct.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 24th, 2020 at 9:00:40 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Dalex64
No, I am saying everyone should share in the pain, all the way up to the investors.

There is no reason for a landlord to have to assume the full burden of a rent moratorium.

All of that loan agreement stuff is out the window when you are talking about pandemic-inspired rent forgiveness, which throws it's own agreements out the window.

If you can modify a rent agreement because of a pandemic, you can modify a loan, and modify guaranteed rates of return. My argument depends on the assumption that an agreement, at some level, is going to be broken, so no agreements at any level are sacrosanct.

Most of the largest investors in large rental projects are pension funds. Private, public and union. So stripping profits from the investors just means smaller pensions for the working people. Many people that have managed to get into their own home do so on the rental income of a basement suite. Some of them are now unemployed and not getting their rent. Kicking the problem up the food chain just hurts different people that are struggling. There is already a shortage of rental housing because the risk of government intervention already makes it a poor investment. How much more return will they need if they take a hit on covid.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 26th, 2020 at 8:11:13 AM permalink
Dalex64
Among the things that trump complained about in the omnibus budget bill just passed were items in trump's own budget request that he sent to congress.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/trump-rails-against-federal-spending-that-he-requested-in-his-budget/

— $1.3 billion for Egypt and the Egyptian military? Trump’s budget asked for $1.3 billion.

— $134 million for Myanmar? Trump’s budget had sought $131,450,000.

— $40 million for the Kennedy Center? Trump’s budget asked for $40,400,000.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 26th, 2020 at 9:36:27 AM permalink
HotDog
Threads: 0
Quote: Dalex64
Among the things that trump complained about in the omnibus budget bill just passed were items in trump's own budget request that he sent to congress.

You really think he personally prepared that budget request? The guy is borderline functionally illiterate. I guarantee you he has no clue what was in that budget. Someone else prepared it for him, said, "Here's your budget, sir," and he said, "Fine, whatever. Send it over."
December 26th, 2020 at 9:59:31 AM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: HotDog
You really think he personally prepared that budget request? The guy is borderline functionally illiterate. I guarantee you he has no clue what was in that budget. Someone else prepared it for him, said, "Here's your budget, sir," and he said, "Fine, whatever. Send it over."

I'm sure he has no idea, but it also indicates his poor communication skills and the incompetence of his staff.

It should have gone like this -
Trump communicates to his staff what he wants to say.
His staff does some homework to make sure he isn't planning on saying something that will embarrass him, such as complaining about a line item in a budget that he requested. (Came from his office/has his name on it)
Trump then revises his talking points so he doesn't look like even a bigger fool.
December 26th, 2020 at 3:08:56 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Trump just decided to stab every Republican Senator/Congressman in the back. It really couldn't be any simpler. If there is a single person on the planet who actually believes that Trump cares if 'average Americans' get $2,000 instead of $600 that person needs help.
December 26th, 2020 at 3:50:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: SOOPOO
Trump just decided to stab every Republican Senator/Congressman in the back.

I hope he does that again in 2024 by running as an independent.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 26th, 2020 at 5:37:47 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Wizard
I hope he does that again in 2024 by running as an independent.

Anything that helps destroy our two party system would be good.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 27th, 2020 at 5:43:46 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

When I hear righties say they don’t care about climate change because they’ll be dead long before the consequences of it really get nasty, that’s EXACTLY how I feel about the debt/deficits. Those bills aren’t coming due in my lifetime.

Credit where it's due...that's quite a fair point.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman