2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

July 6th, 2018 at 12:57:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I feel this suspension might be a little unfair. He was talking about the argument and its logical conclusion not the person.

I thought that also, but I've learned
not to go against the boss..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2018 at 1:10:18 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: AZDuffman
What "alternative definition" are you talking about? The poster said that it is OK to discriminate on college admissions based on skin color. Discrimination on skin color is racist wherever I have been.

Nope, that isn't the definition of racism.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 6th, 2018 at 1:13:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Dalex64
Nope, that isn't the definition of racism.

So when whites did it to blacks
in the southern colleges, that
wasn't racism? Really?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2018 at 1:24:05 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I don't know specifically what you are talking about, but a widely accepted definition of racism is:

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

And alternatively

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

And the definition of discrimination is

the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

One of the key characteristics of racism is believing your race is superior or another race is inferior.

Some of the key characteristics are "unjust" or "prejudicial"

If you can't identify those key characteristics as the reason behind some decision or statements, then it isn't racism.

If "selected admissions" are not unjust or prejudicial, then it isn't discrimination. Differences of opinion result in court cases, and those decisions have gone both ways.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 6th, 2018 at 3:20:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Dalex64
If "selected admissions" are not unjust or prejudicial, then it isn't discrimination

If an Asian and a black apply
to the same med school and
they have the same scores,
the black is accepted and not
the Asian. That's discriminating
because of race. Racism. If
they're equal in every other way,
the black is always picked.
July 6th, 2018 at 3:32:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
I feel this suspension might be a little unfair. He was talking about the argument and its logical conclusion not the person.

AZD said, “that makes you a racist.” I think it comes down to the definition of the word but I take “racist” to be a heavy word, meaning somes races are superior to others. I think AZD would say any stereotyping or favoritism is racist , and didn’t intend a heavy insult, but ultimately we go by my understanding of what words to mean. Somebody has to be the judge.

AZD is an adult and I think he can take it. I harbor no personal hard feelings and hope he feels the same.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 6th, 2018 at 3:36:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
AZD said, “that makes you a racist.” I think it comes down to the definition of the word but I take “racist” to be a heavy word, meaning somes races are superior to others..

That's the orig definition, there are
many others now. Urban Dict:

the true deffinition is believing that one race is superior to all other. Hatred without reason of another race. ETC.
SADLY today that has changed.
In todays world this is what makes you racist:
Mentioning race in any way
Not being totally politically correct
Supporting your race
Being white
Telling a racist joke
Judging by hair color
Disliking something someone likes
etc.

How do we know which definition
AZ was using. You have to ask him
to be sure.
July 6th, 2018 at 3:40:16 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
How do we know which definition
AZ was using. You have to ask him
to be sure.

Be sure to ask him when he gets back in 3 days.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 6th, 2018 at 4:03:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: ams288
Be sure to ask him when he gets back in 3 days.

I'll ask him on WoV.
July 6th, 2018 at 4:22:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Wizard
Somebody has to be the judge.
Do you believe AMS was insulted?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW