No votes (0%)
2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

November 30th, 2016 at 4:11:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Who's the bigger fool, Trump, or the people who voted for him?

I have no doubts on that score.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 30th, 2016 at 4:26:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

You're funny, Nareed. You don't even
live here, have no dog in the race, but
are more bitter than anybody here that
Trump won. I could care less if Daffy Duck
was president of Mexico, why would I. I
couldn't name your president if you
offered me a million dollars.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2016 at 6:23:08 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
If you like to keep your head in your ass, that's entirely your prerogative.

Aww That is definitely not a lady like thing to say, in all honesty. It was just a comment, never meant to insult anyone.
November 30th, 2016 at 7:42:44 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: ams288
Every rightie wants to talk about the Carrier deal today.

Or let me rephrase that: Every rightie wants to talk about one side of the Carrier deal today.

They don't know what Carrier gets in return.

Do those employees have to take a massive pay cut?

Was just listening to an interview with an employee on my way home. Contract is not up until 2018 so nothing can happen with wages or benefits until then. We will find out in 2018 if the company goes for roll backs. The talk among the employees is that Carrier does over a billion a year with the feds, that was likely the button that Trump could hit.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 30th, 2016 at 7:48:12 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Yeah, I was wondering if they got the carrot or the stick.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 1st, 2016 at 6:30:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
Yeah, I was wondering if they got the carrot or the stick.

Yes.

There were promises of tax breaks and a pledge to reduce the corporate tax rate to 15%. The Orange Man cannot do the latter.

Reducing tax rates can be a good thing, but it depends on many ancillary changes, such as deductions allowed and such.

Far more interesting is the fact that manufacturing has kept pace as a share of GDP in the US, but manufacturing jobs have been falling since the 1960s. For those of you who think dates don't matter, this was 30+ years before the current era of NAFTA. The reason for the decline is the same as it has always been: better machines. Many low-skill and unskilled jobs in factories have been eliminated in whole industries due to this. Blame that on free trade, but the trend in automation and semi-automation will continue unabated. And I'd like to see legislation to prevent it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 1st, 2016 at 8:56:36 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
but the trend in automation and semi-automation will continue unabated. And I'd like to see legislation to prevent it.
Beware, the Luddites are armed.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 1st, 2016 at 10:14:12 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

Why don't you write more about that dung pile of a country that you call home and less about us?
December 1st, 2016 at 11:55:08 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: RonC
Why don't you write more about that dung pile of a country that you call home and less about us?

Wow, what a nice thing to say. You continually complain about people mischaracterizing you, but you just smeared an entire country--and unfairly. Mexico is a beautiful place with warm, friendly people (and great food, by the way). Its government is a mess and it has a problem with drug lords, but it isn't like we don't have problems of our own.

And at least Mexicans didn't elect a fascist psycho to run their country.
December 1st, 2016 at 12:00:21 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Blame that on free trade, but the trend in automation and semi-automation will continue unabated. And I'd like to see legislation to prevent it.

Wouldn't that be counterproductive in the long run? Automation frees up labor to do other tasks that aren't mindless. It's like when word processors came into widespread use. Secretaries who were blazing-fast manual typists no longer had a competitive advantage (or not as much of one, anyway). But they learned how to be expert word processors.

I think that any legislation aimed at stopping evolution is doomed to failure anyway. We might be theoretically able to raise our hands and say "Stop! No more robots!," but the rest of the world will continue to make them.