Olympics 2016

Page 16 of 18« First<131415161718>
August 18th, 2016 at 7:22:28 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Sounds to me like it never happened. They got caught in a lie.

I bet the true story involves drugs or hookers....

Its getting pretty weird
UK's Daily mail is all over this. Great detailed article with pictures and maps
Apparently it looks like they had their wallets when they got back to the athletes village
also they got back 3 hours after the supposed robbery
still developing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3745412/Day-late-swimmer-short-Judge-orders-Ryan-Lochte-remain-Rio-questioning-robbery-case-no-evidence-crime-US.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 18th, 2016 at 8:34:19 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
Its getting pretty weird
UK's Daily mail is all over this. Great detailed article with pictures and maps
Apparently it looks like they had their wallets when they got back to the athletes village
also they got back 3 hours after the supposed robbery
still developing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3745412/Day-late-swimmer-short-Judge-orders-Ryan-Lochte-remain-Rio-questioning-robbery-case-no-evidence-crime-US.html

So here is the story as I understand it:

They were all drunk.
They stop at a gas station and destroy a bathroom.
Security guard tells them they have to pay for that. They argue/fight.
Security guard pulls a gun on them till they hand over cash for the damage they caused.

Lochte tells his mom they were robbed at gunpoint. Mom tells that to the media. That's when the story takes off...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 18th, 2016 at 9:04:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

What I'd like to know is whether these people know that, in most jurisdictions the world over, it's a crime to file a false police report.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 18th, 2016 at 9:04:43 AM permalink
terapined

They were all drunk.
They stop at a gas station and destroy a bathroom.
Security guard tells them they have to pay for that. They argue/fight.
Security guard pulls a gun on them till they hand over cash for the damage they caused.

Lochte tells his mom they were robbed at gunpoint. Mom tells that to the media. That's when the story takes off...

Wow, what a bunch of morons
Be a man and man up if you F**ked up
sheesh
Why did they lie? Affluenza. Athletes spoiled their entire lives
Makes America look terrible
Trump lies
Clinton lies
American Olympic athletes lie

Back to the action
Disaster for US Women 4x100, dropped the baton on an exchange
Allison Felix was slightly jostled by runner in next lane leaning into Allison's lane
redemption
They get to race again, will try to qualify tonight :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 18th, 2016 at 9:39:33 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
Medal count has to be related to money invested in the sport for training. There is no other rational way to explain why countries do so much better if they host the Olympics. There has to be some extra enthusiasm for the home field advantage, but it has to explained by a larger investment in training and facilities.

Brazil participated in 21 Summer Olympics and has 23 Gold in all that time. While not shattering previous records, it does look like it will be there best.
2016 3 gold, 5 silver and 4 bronze So far
2012 3 gold, 5 silver and 9 bronze
2008 3 gold, 4 silver and 9 bronze
2004 5 gold, 2 silver and 3 bronze
2000 0 gold, 6 silver and 6 bronze

UK is running neck and neck with China in Brazil, but they had third place in 2012, beating out Russia in number of Gold medals. But back in 2004 they were ranked #10 neck and neck with Cuba.

China had a whopping 51 gold medals for the Beijing games in 2008, soundly beating USA with 36. Even with USA dominating this Olympics, there is no chance of getting 50 gold medals.

You are probably right about the money spent helping the host countries. The host does inevitably do much better than usual. Probably a combination of the home ground advantage and additional monetary resources put into the team itself. I believe Canada is the only host country not to win a gold medal when Montreal hosted in 1976.
August 18th, 2016 at 9:51:37 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Why did they lie? Affluenza. Athletes spoiled their entire lives
That was my first impression as well
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 18th, 2016 at 9:57:30 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
#LochteGate has been trending on Twitter for hours now.

I feel this is a missed opportunity: #LochMess would have been cleverer.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 18th, 2016 at 10:35:17 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Aussie
You are probably right about the money spent helping the host countries. The host does inevitably do much better than usual. Probably a combination of the home ground advantage and additional monetary resources put into the team itself. I believe Canada is the only host country not to win a gold medal when Montreal hosted in 1976.

Yeah, Canada was all happy when they won their first home soil Gold at Vancouver.

UK sports focused their money on sports where they had success. The last three Olympics have had a lot of effort in for results in the games, and the other world championships. It does mean funding has been slashed in other sports that have no medal hopes. They reckon it's about 5 million pounds per gold medal at Rio for the UK spending.

Still, my patriotic side does get the feels when I see winners with the British flag.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 18th, 2016 at 2:00:17 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: petroglyph
That was my first impression as well

Back to Lochte
Brazil was already suspicious of the story and getting angry
Last nite 8pm prime time Bob Costas pretty much led with the story
and
Gave a ton of air time to Matt Lauer since he was reporting on his exclusive interview with Lochte
not only did Lochte change his story somewhat that has been discussed
Matt Lauer said that Lochte said that the investigators were somewhat unconcerned and asked just a few questions. Lochte said that he had a break in at home and the US police did a far more thorough investigation of a simple breakin then Brazil police investigating a robbery in Rio.
WTF
Not only does he double down on the lie of a story, he tries to embarrass and insult the Brazil police
He has friends involved still in Brazil.
Doesn't he care?
One nite in a US prison is horrible, this aint the US, its South America, some of the worst jails and prisons on the planet.
Cant wait to see how Bob Costas reports the story at 8pm prime time tonight
This would be an excellent time for a live interview from Lochte coming clean
Got the popcorn out :-)
August 18th, 2016 at 2:38:04 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
WTF

Remember Lance Armstrong?

Before he was busted for cheating with drugs, he sued people who published stories claiming he had used drugs to cheat.

That kind of chutzpah is disgusting.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 16 of 18« First<131415161718>