Olympics 2016

August 11th, 2016 at 7:29:04 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Highlight for me last night, the amazing Katie Ledecky
4x200 free relay
Katie was the anchor and the USA team really needed her
USA was in 2nd place by the time Ledecky dived in.
She crushed moving into 1st place and winning gold for her team

A picture of Katie Ledecky and Michael Phelps 10 years ago
http://www.eonline.com/news/786773/young-katie-ledecky-meeting-michael-phelps-is-all-of-us
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 11th, 2016 at 2:47:27 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: TheCesspit
I love Rugby 7's. I know some of the players over in Scotland who've played for years (there's a long tradition of it back to the 1890's of a tournament in Melrose, Scotland). Because you can't lead with the head, there's less brain trauma... now, what can happen to the limbs is a different story, I'm sure. But most of the players I know aren't suffering. Course, the game is harder and faster now, so that may change, but I'm pretty sure hard helmets will never be a part of Rugby.

I found this and some quotes from the article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2408067/Rugbys-ticking-timebomb-Fears-grow-evidence-links-brain-damage-dementia-increasing-number-head-injuries-suffered-players.html

Neuropathologist at Glasgow's Southern General Hospital
I have seen the same pathology in a former rugby player in his fifties as that described in American footballers and boxers. It used to be called Dementia Pugilistica but it's now known as Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. It came as no surprise to see a former rugby player with this pathology

Former England captain, nicknamed Mad Dog for his combative style. Retired from rugby in 2012
I have been out cold five times, but towards the end of my career I was getting other forms of concussion far more frequently. It got to the stage that whenever I had a blow to the head I had the feeling for a minute or so that the game was going in slow motion

On the flip side
I will be watching Great Britain vs Fiji for the gold. I expect it to be very very physical
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 11th, 2016 at 3:24:15 PM permalink
terapined
Wow, Fiji playing a perfect game. Love their fans. They know how to have fun.
Fiji is going full Ledecky on Great Britain 29-0 so far
August 12th, 2016 at 4:40:16 AM permalink
terapined
What a day yesterday
Fiji winning rugby 7's was huge
What a great team. The whole team got together in a circle and started singing after winning
Michael Phelps, another amazing performance, dominating in the 200 IM, nobody close. wow
Simone Manuel, a black USA swimmer getting gold in the 100 free tying Canada. What a race. Two touching the wall at the exact same time :-)
US Woman going 1 2 in gymnastics.
Kayla Harrison pulling off a last second move to take Judo gold
August 12th, 2016 at 4:34:26 PM permalink
terapined
Katie Ledecky swimming tonight
800 free
The question is not whether she will win gold (she will)
The big question is how many seconds will she lower the world record
In a sport where world records are broken by fractions of seconds, Ledecky will probably break her own world record by multiple whole seconds.
August 14th, 2016 at 1:33:29 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Mo Farah wins 10,000m Gold... despite falling in the race. That finish is why I love the distance races. 55 seconds to run the last 400m... that would have beaten 4 of the women's 400m runners in the heats, (okay, they may not be the top class of the heats).

Also loving the velodrome action, with another Gold for GB in the team pursuit.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 14th, 2016 at 1:36:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Did you watch the golf? GB won gold.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 14th, 2016 at 2:02:10 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine

I watched the last few holes of golf. Pretty exciting coming down to last hole with 2 tied.
Some of my favorite moments
Michelle Carter , the "Shot Diva" winning gold Women Shot Put. Her father won shot put silver in 84 and also played on a super bowl team.
The US Womens Soccer losing. Yup, enjoyed that. Hope Solo is such a poor sport
Puerto Rico getting 1st gold in Womens single tennis
Jamaica again dominating in Womens 100 track. Amazing. Year after year gold
Mo Farah. Wow. Even falling, he figures out what it takes to win and does it. Incredible.

Really enjoying the games in Rio. What a spectacular backdrop with the beach and Christ the Redeemer
August 14th, 2016 at 2:06:43 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine

To busy watching the Velodrome in the background. Plus Golf ain't a sport... it's long walk ruined :)

The Omnium in the velodrome is fascinating. 6 different races, all score points. The Danish rider won the first two, then came dead last in the elimination race.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 14th, 2016 at 8:47:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think India is the biggest country and/or most populous which has no medals so far.

Google's logo leads to various stats about the Olympics.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?