Fox News bombshell - Gretchen Carlson Files Sexual Harassment Suit Against Roger Ailes

July 20th, 2016 at 5:59:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Well that's the sales pitch when you join up anyway.

Yeah, I heard it all the time. Though in college I heard the best union pitch. Said they got their members I forget exactly but something like $5-150/hr. What they did not say was the $150 was some entertainer who had to join under some kind of union-shop work rule.

Clever, you have to give them that.
The President is a fink.
July 20th, 2016 at 6:27:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Yeah, I heard it all the time. Though in college I heard the best union pitch. Said they got their members I forget exactly but something like $5-150/hr. What they did not say was the $150 was some entertainer who had to join under some kind of union-shop work rule.

Clever, you have to give them that.
After your post, I remembered I had to pay some union dues. So, I called up and payed for the rest of the year. Not sure if I'm being optimistic?

I am third generation union member. I have my own complaints, but still believe most workers don't stand much of a chance if they don't bargain collectively.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 20th, 2016 at 6:41:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
After your post, I remembered I had to pay some union dues. So, I called up and payed for the rest of the year. Not sure if I'm being optimistic?

I am third generation union member. I have my own complaints, but still believe most workers don't stand much of a chance if they don't bargain collectively.

I used to be pro-union in a big way. But I basically learned that the union more protected lazy lumps than helped productive people. If you were productive it did not matter, you made the same and the boss could not technically do more for you. A few of us got some special treatment in small ways but that had nothing to do with the union.

The union letter always talked about organizing the workers who had poor working conditions. Our dues went to try to organize them, the union letter said about all they were trying to do. 20 years later I learned they targeted Purdue because Dial Meats wanted to stock their product but Frank Purdue would not sell to them. Dial Meats was in all the NYC stores, often organized by the same union.

Dial was owned by Paul Castellano.
The President is a fink.
July 20th, 2016 at 9:50:35 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
I used to be pro-union in a big way. But I basically learned that the union more protected lazy lumps than helped productive people. If you were productive it did not matter, you made the same and the boss could not technically do more for you. A few of us got some special treatment in small ways but that had nothing to do with the union.

The union letter always talked about organizing the workers who had poor working conditions. Our dues went to try to organize them, the union letter said about all they were trying to do. 20 years later I learned they targeted Purdue because Dial Meats wanted to stock their product but Frank Purdue would not sell to them. Dial Meats was in all the NYC stores, often organized by the same union.

Dial was owned by Paul Castellano.
I think in the east it was more obvious that the unions were mobbed up. They were out west as well, but people weren't that familiar. And it really didn't matter as long as everyone got their piece.

I had a few construction company's, [small potato's], some union some not. I worked for union contractors that filled their forces with non union workers and vice versa. What it always comes down to is the money.

What I am not, is a lawyer. I would have besides bid work, up to 14 W2's at the end of the year, and I didn't have the wherewithal to be a collection company also. I worked all over the PNW, and a lot of jobs were 30+ days net. The money needed to be there when it was supposed to. That, I think is one place the union exceeds. The fear of litigation gets people to pay. Suing contractors or subs to get your money is demoralizing, for me anyway.

n it had been moved the next day was to wipe underneath it. Never lock the house and don't take the keys out of the ignition, lest they get lost.

I contracted for the feds for awhile in the early 80's. I lol'd once when I got an offer from them saying, how much would I cut my price if they paid on time. lmao

I just usually found it easier because so many jobs were short term, to be able to use the labor pool. Rules have changed since I was there, money follows the man and so forth. I can see the employers side for sure.

I will say one thing for absolute certainty, I never want another employee that I have to file paper work on, and hear one more complaint. Just because I support labor and unions, don't think I haven't had words with them, and they with me.

Maybe I was trying to do my part for my fellow man? You seem to be supportive of the church or whatever your cause is,,, I got down in the trenches. I admit at times I have considered, maybe I should have went for the money?

It's your world now, see what you can do with it. : )
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 21st, 2016 at 2:10:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman

I just usually found it easier because so many jobs were short term, to be able to use the labor pool. Rules have changed since I was there, money follows the man and so forth. I can see the employers side for sure.

That sounds like a hiring hall union, or a form of it. They make sense in many ways. You need 20 skilled tradesmen, you call and they are sent over.

But even in this there was corruption. In NYC and other big places. Pay the right guy and non-union guys could roll in and out. Fail to pay and it would take 20 minutes for the safety inspection of every cement truck rolling in.

One silly union here staged a demonstration picket because when a movie was shot they got paid less than they did in NYC. Well, duh, that is a reason they shot here in the first place! That kind of nonsense scares away business for everyone. And don't get me started with how much dues money is wasted on this and all kinds of political activities.
The President is a fink.
July 21st, 2016 at 1:32:36 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
It's finally official:

Roger Ailes is out.

Gretchen Carlson is David and she just took down Goliath.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 21st, 2016 at 2:10:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: ams288
It's finally official:

Roger Ailes is out.

Gretchen Carlson is David and she just took down Goliath.

Even big power players go down if you can collect some sort of hard evidence against them. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but this was pretty rapid.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 8th, 2016 at 6:22:23 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: Evenbob
God, I can't stand Gretchen Carlson. A former
Miss America, she's always looking for even
the hint of sexual harassment. Good riddance
to her, I always hit mute when she came on
anyway. She won't win, it's a ridiculous lawsuit.

Evenbob: wrong about literally everything always.

Looks like Gretchen is going to get "eight figures" from this "ridiculous lawsuit."

Inside the FOX News Bunker

Quote:
Meanwhile, 21st Century Fox has begun discussing a settlement in the Gretchen Carlson lawsuit against Ailes, according to two people familiar with the negotiations. The company is requesting that Ailes, who has denied all Carlson’s allegations, fund at least a portion of the settlement, which is expected to reach eight figures, these people said. At issue in the settlement talks is the existence of audio tapes recorded by multiple women in conversation with Ailes, two people familiar with the tapes said. Ailes' lawyers have argued that any negotiation with Carlson should take place in private arbitration, but the specter of a public trial looms. “If they litigate the case, all the tapes will become public, directly and through others,” this person said. “Then you will have a parade of women come in. Nobody wants that.” (Ailes, through his lawyer, denied all allegations.)
August 8th, 2016 at 7:27:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Good to see they got some recordings. Less than $100 of technology can win a 10 million plus lawsuit if one is wise enough to use it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 23rd, 2016 at 6:43:01 AM permalink
ams288
More Sexual Harassment Allegations, This Time Bill-O is Implicated (Again)

Quote:
Commencing in February 2016, Bill O’Reilly (“O’Reilly”), whom Tantaros had considered to be a good friend and a person from whom she sought career guidance, started sexually harassing her by, inter alia, (a) asking her to come to stay with him on Long Island where it would be “very private,” and (b) telling her on more than one occasion that he could “see [her] as a wild girl,” and that he believed that she had a “wild side.” Fox News did take one action: plainly because of O’Reilly’s rumored prior sexual harassment issues and in recognition of Tantaros’s complaints, Brandi informed Cane that Tantaros would no longer be appearing on O’Reilly’s Fox News show, The O’Reilly Factor.

This is getting good! I'm loving it!