Simple question?

Thread Rating:

January 27th, 2016 at 5:10:46 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: FrGamble
I agree, God is.

But some of those other religions worship false gods.
Can they receive god's word and god's morality and gifts by not worshiping god?
If they can and do, what does it matter who or what they worship, even if they worship or believe in nothing?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 27th, 2016 at 11:22:14 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64
But some of those other religions worship false gods.
Can they receive god's word and god's morality and gifts by not worshiping god?
If they can and do, what does it matter who or what they worship, even if they worship or believe in nothing?

Again God is not restricted by us. They can and do receive God's presence not through their worship of false gods, but because they are human beings made in the image and likeness of God and they are striving to discover the truth about God, even if they haven't found it or are mistaken. God can and does work with that. In fact God can and does work even through people's disbelief of God. You thinking there is not a God in no way lessens His love for you or His desire to be part of your life.

In regards to your last question I think it is equivalent to asking what does it matter if we take the safe superhighway to reach our destination or if we climb the dangerous rocky path with no signposts to reach our destination. Yes we are both hopefully gonna make it to our ultimate destination, but one way is more sure, safe, and clear than the other.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 27th, 2016 at 1:17:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Yes we are both hopefully gonna make it to our ultimate destination,

The only destinations are the ones
we set for ourselves.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 27th, 2016 at 5:49:04 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
You thinking there is not a God in no way lessens His love for you or His desire to be part of your life.

Do you realize you're making Jehovah seem like an obsessed stalker?

Quote:
Yes we are both hopefully gonna make it to our ultimate destination, but one way is more sure, safe, and clear than the other.

What makes you so sure life has an ultimate destination? And don't say "we're all going to die eventually."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 27th, 2016 at 5:55:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed

It's creepy, isn't it. It's no kind of 'love' I want
any part of. It's the kind of creepy love a stalker
has for his favorite movie star. No matter what
the star does, the stalker will 'love' him. Who
would want that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 27th, 2016 at 6:00:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
In fact God can and does work even through people's disbelief of God. You thinking there is not a God in no way lessens His love for you or His desire to be part of your life.

You don't even realize how repulsive this
sounds to a non believer. Insidious love.
Kind of like a flesh eating bacteria, you
can believe in it or not, either way it's
going to love eating you to death. Thank
Zeus I know none what you say is true,
what an awful world you live in.
There's no escape from the eye of Mordor
for you.
January 27th, 2016 at 7:45:16 PM permalink
Dalex64
I was looking around, trying to find out if anyone agreed with the Catholics re: attribution and confirmation of miracles. I couldn't find any. I did find this, though:
Quote:
The rules regarding miracles and sainthood changed as recently as
John Paul II's tenure. He reduced the required number of miracles to
two, from three. And as science has explained more and more over the years, many things that would have been considered miracles in the past are no
longer seen that way, Bevans said.

About 500 years ago, miracles weren't even required.

From this page: http://m.livescience.com/38033-how-vatican-identifies-miracles.html

I figured if someone else agrees with the Catholics and believes that people are named saints and perform miracles after death, it says something. It also says something if no one believes them or agrees with them.

I'm sure they are ok with no one agreeing with them, because they are confident that everyone else is wrong. Of course, I still think it is prideful and arrogant on their part to think they have the one true truth, the one true god, and the one and only path to salvation.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 27th, 2016 at 8:07:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed

I still don't get why god made millions of angels and us too. Presumably one creation should be entertaining enough, or why couldn't god get any satisfaction from their existence which he could have fashioned in any manner he wished.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2016 at 8:58:25 PM permalink
Dalex64
While we are posting things we don't get,

If god gave us free will,
and knows every decision we will ever make,
why did he put the tree of knowledge in the garden of eden?
January 27th, 2016 at 9:20:36 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
First of all, what I am talking about is a God who created you in love. Trying to compare this to human love, even the greatest human and healthy love we can imagine, is not even possible. You will find yourself in the same dilemma Narred found herself in a few pages ago in trying to think of God as a thing rather than being itself. A stalker? Flesh eating bacteria?!? Seriously? We are talking about the love of God who has loved you into being, constantly sees your goodness, joyfully forgives you, is understanding and compassionate in your struggles, and desires to give you the gift of life eternal in the perfectly happy and just world we dream about. This type of awesome love is there for you always anytime you call upon it.

Secondly, about miracles I would suggest you look into the causes of saints. The amount of detail and investigation put into these claims is quite extraordinary. They need all types of testimony from doctors and the like. You could also take a visit to the St. Joseph's Shrine in Montreal or the St. Anne Shrine in Quebec and see the thousands of crutches, canes, and mementos left behind in thanksgiving for a miracle. These might not all have doctor's testimonies behind them but they are very and undeniably real to many folks.

Thirdly, Angels are pure spiritual beings so they are radically different than us. We are spirit and flesh. This means that we are limited in ways the angels aren't. For example Angels do have free will and some of them chose against God' plan to serve and save us, we call them demons. However, Angels do not have faith. They know God and have seen them and some live in the beatific vision. They are God's messengers. We have free will and the gift of faith. Really those two characteristics both have to be present to have the greatest type of love. You need to freely choose to love and you need to trust or have faith in that person to truly love them.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (