Trump's finger on the trigger

May 11th, 2016 at 12:46:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
- in short, he sees the anger and upset with the DC elites as the fuel why Trump could win the presidency... based on how Sanders is doing, he sees oppurtunities for Trump as well.

Hillary could do worse than to take Bernie on as VP.

Who else is she going to pick? Al Gore? ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 11th, 2016 at 1:32:57 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
Hillary could do worse than to take Bernie on as VP.

Who else is she going to pick? Al Gore? ;)

I like Bernie
also like
Elizabeth Warren
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 11th, 2016 at 2:25:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
I like Bernie
also like
Elizabeth Warren

I'd like her to pick Elizabeth Warren, if only to see how big a fit the GOP and Fox News throw. But I think she should go with Bernie.
May 11th, 2016 at 11:03:56 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I like Bernie

The primary standards about choosing a VP is does he help you win the election. Cruz won 11 states, but with the exception of Colorado and Maine they are all states that are going to vote Republican regardless of who the candidate is going to be. Maine is going to vote Democratic anyway, and Cruz only really helps in Colorado where Trump is week.
Cruz states won for primary AK, CO, IA, ID, KS, ME,OK, TX, UT, WI, WY

On the other hand Kasich while only winning his home state, could help bring the critical state win in the general election.

Bernie has won 19 states and Democrats Abroad. But the 19 states are all very small and together make up only 20% of the population of the country.
10 Michigan
13 Washington
16 Indiana
19 Maryland
20 Wisconsin
21 Minnesota
22 Colorado *
28 Oklahoma
31 Utah
34 Kansas
37 Nebraska
38 West Virginia
40 Hawaii
41 New Hampshire *
42 Maine
43 Rhode Island
48 Alaska
49 Vermont
50 Wyoming

Hillary's 26 states constitute 60% of the population. Another 20% has not voted yet.

Arguably Bernie might help bring in battleground states of Colorado and New Hampshire. The other states that Bernie won are predisposed already to either go Republican or Democrat. I don't think that Bernie helps Hillary much in the general election. He probably deserves to be Secretary of Education.

She really needs a VP that will help her do well in some of the battleground states.
May 12th, 2016 at 6:07:53 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Arguably Bernie might help bring in battleground states of Colorado and New Hampshire.

Bernie might be necessary in order not to depress the Dem vote. A lot of people like him and dislike Hillary. Adding him as VP is a solution for that.
May 12th, 2016 at 6:23:56 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Bernie might be necessary in order not to depress the Dem vote. A lot of people like him and dislike Hillary. Adding him as VP is a solution for that.

I totally agree
It would help her a lot
Bernie can really fire up a crowd
His speeches are so much better then Trumps
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 12th, 2016 at 6:43:58 AM permalink
Nareed
His speeches are so much better then Trumps

To quote Hermes Conrad "The bar is set so low you can't even limbo under it." :)

In contrast to most political races, though, the Dem primaries were remarkably civil. In contrast most particularly with the GOP campaigns this year. I mean, can you imagine Trump naming "Lyin' Ted Cruz" as his choice for VP? (Damn, I hope he does!)
May 12th, 2016 at 7:26:33 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
. I mean, can you imagine Trump naming "Lyin' Ted Cruz" as his choice for VP? (Damn, I hope he does!)

Let's see what Cruz would do to help Trump
1) Cruz beat Trump in primaries in AK, ID, KS ,OK, TX, UT, and WY. These states are hard core anti-Democrat. In the last 11 elections only one of these states have voted Democratic one time (Texas voted for Jimmy Carter in 1976). Trump shouldn't need help winning these states, he can count on anti Hillary vote.
2) Cruz beat Trump in primaries in ME, and WI. They are overwhelmingly likely to vote for Hillary no matter who Trump chooses for VP.
3) Cruz beat Trump in primaries in CO and IA. These are battleground states, but they don't represent a lot of votes. Besides Trump/Cruz is not even a guarantee of beating Hillary.

In contrast Kasich would almost guarantee Ohio and 18 votes, and would probably help just as much as Cruz in Pennsylvania and Michigan.
Pennsylvania April 26
Trump 892,702
Cruz 340,201
Kasich 304,793

Michigan March 8
Trump 483,751
Cruz 330,015
Kasich 321,655

Rubio would be a better help in Florida than Kasich, but Trump is probably thinking he can take Florida on his own.

Florida March 15
Trump 1,077,221
Cruz 403,640
Kasich 159,412
May 12th, 2016 at 7:49:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Let's see what Cruz would do to help Trump

My point is trump habitually called the Senator from Canada <w> "Lyin' Ted Cruz." Now imagine him naming Cruz as his VP choice. That would be a field day for the Democratic party.

The level of invective probably wasn't that bad against other candidates, but the way Trump carefully places two feet in his anus before he speaks, I'm sure you can find something vile, rather than merely negative, said against everyone who ran for the GOP nomination this year.

Most likely he'll pick some kind of non-known, near non-entity who wouldn't dream of upstaging him for the rest of the reality show.
May 12th, 2016 at 8:28:47 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I think Kasich makes sense for VP.

I just don't think Hilliary could choose Bernie. Even though they are in the same party I think Bernie's ideas are way too extreme for her.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.