Pope Francis Visit

September 26th, 2015 at 7:40:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard
What is the over/under on the number of times the pope mentions Jesus by name (not his title) in the homily?

Good question. We would have to include any extemporaneous remarks he makes just during the homily time. This would mean watching the video and not just reading the official translation of the homily. I would put the over/under at 7 times. I will take the over.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 26th, 2015 at 7:47:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble
Good question. We would have to include any extemporaneous remarks he makes just during the homily time. This would mean watching the video and not just reading the official translation of the homily. I would put the over/under at 7 times. I will take the over.

Out of curiosity, is there anything different done when the Pope says a Mass? Also, are most of these appearances "wrapped" (for want of a better term) inside a Mass same as a wedding/funeral/etc? My sister saw JP-2 in the 1990s in Denver and said you were at Mass at least once a day when you saw the Pope. Also said that he did mass blessings of objects. If you had something that was special to you and wanted it blessed just hold it up. Wondering if you saw any or all of this?
The President is a fink.
September 26th, 2015 at 7:54:57 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
Also said that he did mass blessings of objects. If you had something that was special to you and wanted it blessed just hold it up.

I've been to two bike blessings back in my riding days. Both times, someone in our party wrecked that very day, one of which I was involved in. We stopped going =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 26th, 2015 at 7:55:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Fundamentally there is nothing different about a Mass presided over by the Pope? There are some different protocol things like the order of procession, where people sit, etc. but the Mass is a Mass is a Mass. It is true that usually there is some event for the Pope to make formal remarks at during the visit. Whether it is Mass or a Vespers service or a blessing of a school, etc. Finally it is customary that the final blessing of a Papal Mass is extended to the pilgrims present, those listening on radio or watching on TV and to any religious items in your possession that you would like to have blessed by the Pope.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 26th, 2015 at 8:17:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
I've been to two bike blessings back in my riding days. Both times, someone in our party wrecked that very day, one of which I was involved in. We stopped going =)

Wait, that's impossible. Jesus gives blessing
to all true believers for anything they ask
for. Jesus says that exact thing several times
in the NT. Certainly you must be mistaken.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 26th, 2015 at 8:52:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

Okay, I know time is running short but I accept the bet! I will let you be the judge of when exactly the homily begins and ends. However, I want to be clear that he has to say "Jesus," which is the same in English and Spanish. It won't count if he says "Christ," "the son," "I am," "The Alpha and the Omega," or any other title.

I'd like to suggest that we bet on who pays for dinner, whenever we have have the pleasure to meet.

So, I am taking UNDER 7. If it is exactly seven then it is a push.

I hope this is agreeable and you have the chance to accept.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 26th, 2015 at 8:53:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Wizard
Okay, I know time is running short but I accept the bet! I will let you be the judge of when exactly the homily begins and ends. However, I want to be clear that he has to say "Jesus," which is the same in English and Spanish. It won't count if he says "Christ," "the son," "I am," "The Alpha and the Omega," or any other title.

I'd like to suggest that we bet on who pays for dinner, whenever we have have the pleasure to meet.

So, I am taking UNDER 7. If it is exactly seven then it is a push.

I hope this is agreeable and you have the chance to accept.

I accept.
September 26th, 2015 at 8:58:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I accept.

Yeah! I just may listen on the Spanish channel and keep count.

Wait a minute -- did I just get tricked into doing just that? Can we change the bet to how many times Donald Trump calls somebody a "loser" in his next speech? (JK)
September 26th, 2015 at 9:04:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I accept.

Ahh, just like the soldiers casting lots
at the foot of Jesus on the cross. Some
things never change, betting with Jesus
involved. I wish there were Jesus slots,
Catholic players would love them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 26th, 2015 at 9:05:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Ahh, just like the soldiers casting lots
at the foot of Jesus on the cross.

Oh -- have a sense of humor.