Pope Francis Visit

Page 1 of 161234>Last »
September 21st, 2015 at 10:07:56 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I'm so excited about the Pope's visit! I'm going to Philly is anyone else going to any events?

Here is his itinerary:

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22
•4:00 p.m. Arrival from Cuba at Joint Base Andrews
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23 (WASHINGTON, DC)
•9:15 a.m. Meeting with President Obama at the White House
•11:30 a.m. Midday Prayer with the bishops of the United States, St. Matthew's Cathedral
•4:15 p.m. Mass of Canonization of Junipero Serra, Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception [Ed. Note: East Portico of Shrine – outdoor liturgy]
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 (WASHINGTON, DC, NEW YORK CITY)

•9:20 a.m. Address to Joint Session of the United States Congress
•11:15 a.m. Visit to St. Patrick in the City and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
•4:00 p.m. Depart from Joint Base Andrews
•5:00 p.m. Arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport
•6:45 p.m. Evening Prayer (Vespers) at St. Patrick's Cathedral
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 (NEW YORK CITY)

•8:30 a.m. Visit to the United Nations and Address to the United Nations General Assembly
•11:30 a.m. Multi-religious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center
•4:00 p.m. Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School, East Harlem
•6:00 p.m. Mass at Madison Square Garden
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 26 (NEW YORK CITY, PHILADELPHIA)

•8:40 a.m. Departure from John F. Kennedy International Airport
•9:30 a.m. Arrival at Atlantic Aviation, Philadelphia
•10:30 a.m. Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, Philadelphia
•4:45 p.m. Visit to Independence Mall
•7:30 p.m. Visit to the Festival of Families Benjamin Franklin Parkway
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 (PHILADELPHIA)

•9:15 a.m. Meeting with bishops at at St. Martin's Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
•11:00 a.m. Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
•4:00 p.m. Mass for the conclusion of the World Meeting of Families, Benjamin Franklin Parkway
•7:00 p.m. Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families, Atlantic Aviation
•8:00 p.m. Departure for Rome
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 21st, 2015 at 10:15:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble
I'm so excited about the Pope's visit! I'm going to Philly is anyone else going to any events?

I can't come close to imagining how big this is for you. We've all had the boss visit, but that hardly compares!

I didn't see on the itinerary, but is there some special event for priests like yourself? I realize it can't be very intimate as you are still talking tens of thousands, but anything?

Do enjoy yourself, Padre. As close to once-in-a-lifetime as can be.
The President is a fink.
September 21st, 2015 at 10:19:58 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Yeah, I do wish there was an event for lowly priests like me, but know how full his schedule is and what an impossibility it would be. I do hope to see him in Philly though. It is going to be awesome!

Thanks so much for your kind words.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 21st, 2015 at 11:09:22 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I hope you enjoy the visit, Padre, whether you get an audience or not with Sr. Papa. I'm going to miss this visit. I saw Pope John Paul when he visited Baltimore around 1995.

Is there any kind of bet we can make on his visit?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 21st, 2015 at 11:50:11 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Quote: Wizard
I hope you enjoy the visit, Padre, whether you get an audience or not with Sr. Papa. I'm going to miss this visit. I saw Pope John Paul when he visited Baltimore around 1995.

Is there any kind of bet we can make on his visit?

Then you remember the crowds and how hard it was to actually see the Pope.

Had a friend who made a killing selling cardboard periscopes, the he had printed with the Pope's image.
He sold them as PopeScopes
September 21st, 2015 at 12:01:52 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
September 21st, 2015 at 12:54:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Pope also gives opening speech at UN in Sept.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-18/pope-francis-calls-new-global-political-authority-save-humanity

"In fact, Pope Francis is going to give the speech that kicks off the UN conference in September where this new sustainable agenda will be launched. For some reason, this Pope has decided to make the fight against climate change the central pillar of his papacy"
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 21st, 2015 at 3:44:21 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I was supposed to be in Philly on Sunday. Thank Christ I managed to take care of business last Sunday in Rochester. I would not have been prepared for both city folk and Pope traffic.

And the lure of knicking the Popemobile plate might have been too much to resist. "Lead me not into temptation..." ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 21st, 2015 at 3:52:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
I was supposed to be in Philly on Sunday. Thank Christ I managed to take care of business last Sunday in Rochester. I would not have been prepared for both city folk and Pope traffic.

And the lure of knicking the Popemobile plate might have been too much to resist. "Lead me not into temptation..." ;)

Saw "60 Minutes" this week. The Pope drives a Ford Focus when he needs to drive. Man of the people he wants to be.

Meanwhile one famous local priest had a few classic cars and now his own memorial car cruise.
The President is a fink.
September 21st, 2015 at 3:55:04 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: buzzardknot
Then you remember the crowds and how hard it was to actually see the Pope.

I had a clear shot of him because I brought a 6' ladder to downtown Baltimore. I got tons of compliments on the good idea from everyone else who couldn't see behind the crowds.

Here are some pictures I took. Click on them for a larger version.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 1 of 161234>Last »