year it came out. It was poplar at the time,
I thought it was silly. Tried watching it last
year and it's really silly now. Baseball players,
really? Who cares. War heroes I could see,
famous authors or people from history. Anybody
but baseball players.

This review from somebody at IMDB sums it
up for me:

"Simply said... THE worst movie I ever tried to watch. I had to have friends tie me to a chair to get through the entire thing, and needed therapy for post-traumatic stress disorder afterward. Still have nightmares of the inane dialog and unbelievably ridiculous story line. There are so many other good baseball movies, and there are so many other good "ghost" movies... that there is no good reason that this movie should exist. I am in absolute shock at the number of 9s and 10s the contributors here have given this piece of trash. I can only attribute it to the incredible failure of our nation's educational system."

It was the premise and the dialog that got to me.
Lines like: "Who's wants to spit on the constitution?",
"You want to step outside, you Nazi cow.", "You're guests
in my cornfield.", "Tell me is there enough magic in
a starlit night to make my wish come true?"

C'mon..

Courious how you feel about It's A Wonderful Life since it's considered a little corny by many, and also has the unbelievable/magical element to it.
June 27th, 2014 at 3:28:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Greasyjohn
Courious how you feel about It's A Wonderful Life since it's considered a little corny by many, and also has the unbelievable/magical element to it.

http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/776/3/#post15074
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 27th, 2014 at 3:35:37 PM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/776/3/#post15074

That's so funny, because I looked at the thread to see if you had already commented on this. You referred to the movie as Wonderful Life and I had never heard of that movie. Could you tell me how you got the http... etc. into your thread? Edit: I think I figured it out. You went to your post, highlighted the address in the window and copyed it into you post.
June 27th, 2014 at 4:37:31 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Fleastiff
No Country for Old Men: wonderful. The female really made that story come alive. A bit boring in the middle but a good storyline. Good solid acting. Again. Realism rather than escapism. No vampires No zombies.

I agree it's a great movie, but I didn't get the ending. Wouldn't it have better with the last couple minutes of bizarre conversation about dreams deleted? And what ever became of Bardem's Chigurr character? He's injured in an accident, and the kids on the bike sell him their shirts, and he wanders off, never to be seen again? Will there be a sequel Still No Country for Old Men: Where's the Money?
June 27th, 2014 at 5:18:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Greasyjohn
That's so funny, because I looked at the thread to see if you had already commented on this. You referred to the movie as Wonderful Life and I had never heard of that movie. Could you tell me how you got the http... etc. into your thread? Edit: I think I figured it out. You went to your post, highlighted the address in the window and copyed it into you post.

Click permalink in the post and copy the address
at the top of the page.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 27th, 2014 at 7:18:29 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
I get tired of these movies where the good guys fire away all day and never reload, never miss their targets, never get unlucky. Its refreshing to have things a bit more realistic.

No Country for Old Men: wonderful. The female really made that story come alive. A bit boring in the middle but a good storyline. Good solid acting. Again. Realism rather than escapism.

Yes, "no country" is such a movie. I sometimes refer to them as non-John Wayne. Tommy Lee Joes is not a J.W. in the film. An *absolutely* non-JW movie is "Ulee's Gold"; the moment where you realize he is not going to be J.W. is palpable and refreshing.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 27th, 2014 at 7:46:56 PM permalink
Greasyjohn
Quote: zippyboy
I agree it's a great movie, but I didn't get the ending. Wouldn't it have better with the last couple minutes of bizarre conversation about dreams deleted? And what ever became of Bardem's Chigurr character? He's injured in an accident, and the kids on the bike sell him their shirts, and he wanders off, never to be seen again? Will there be a sequel Still No Country for Old Men: Where's the Money?

I thought the conversation about dreams was well done. A man that's retired sharing his dream about his father with his dear female friend. What a beautiful regular moment for a guy who just retired, not having to have crossed swords with Chigurr. And Chigurr just continued down his path.
June 27th, 2014 at 7:50:05 PM permalink
Greasyjohn
Click permalink in the post and copy the address
at the top of the page.

Thank you.
June 28th, 2014 at 3:25:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
One thing about "no country" that I have to protest about. I don't mind seeing a bunch of people getting killed if that is necessary for the movie plot, but showing brains flying across the screen, no, I don't see why that has to be shown.

It also bugs me when the villain has super-human abilities, same as when the hero is a John Wayne.

I did really like the movie though, in spite of these things.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 28th, 2014 at 6:40:38 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I'm a baseball fan and I hated it, too. It was awful. You know what else was awful? The Natural. Completely subverted Malamud's novel, sticking in a feel good ending.

Field of Dreams was called Field of Corn by
some because it was so corny. 'Build it and
he will come' was the butt of jokes the
year it came out. It was poplar at the time,
I thought it was silly. Tried watching it last
year and it's really silly now. Baseball players,
really? Who cares. War heroes I could see,
famous authors or people from history. Anybody
but baseball players.

This review from somebody at IMDB sums it
up for me:

"Simply said... THE worst movie I ever tried to watch. I had to have friends tie me to a chair to get through the entire thing, and needed therapy for post-traumatic stress disorder afterward. Still have nightmares of the inane dialog and unbelievably ridiculous story line. There are so many other good baseball movies, and there are so many other good "ghost" movies... that there is no good reason that this movie should exist. I am in absolute shock at the number of 9s and 10s the contributors here have given this piece of trash. I can only attribute it to the incredible failure of our nation's educational system."

It was the premise and the dialog that got to me.
Lines like: "Who's wants to spit on the constitution?",
"You want to step outside, you Nazi cow.", "You're guests
in my cornfield.", "Tell me is there enough magic in
a starlit night to make my wish come true?"

C'mon..
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>