Great Films

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
June 28th, 2014 at 6:52:01 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: zippyboy
I agree it's a great movie, but I didn't get the ending. Wouldn't it have better with the last couple minutes of bizarre conversation about dreams deleted? And what ever became of Bardem's Chigurr character? He's injured in an accident, and the kids on the bike sell him their shirts, and he wanders off, never to be seen again? Will there be a sequel Still No Country for Old Men: Where's the Money?

It is about Man's struggle against nihilism.

The film is incredibly faithful to the novel, leaving out only one inconsequential storyline between Moss and the girl in the pool with the beer who dies in the shootout (as best I remember). Leaving it out definitely tightens up the film without hurting the theme.
June 28th, 2014 at 7:29:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mosca
I'm a baseball fan and I hated it, too. It was awful.

It's got one of the better ratings on rotten tomatoes/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/field_of_dreams/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 28th, 2014 at 7:51:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mosca
I'm a baseball fan and I hated it, too. It was awful. You know what else was awful? The Natural. Completely subverted Malamud's novel, sticking in a feel good ending.

You didn't believe a guy in his 40's
just starting out in BB? Why not.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 29th, 2014 at 1:13:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit
One thing about "no country" that I have to protest about. I don't mind seeing a bunch of people getting killed if that is necessary for the movie plot, but showing brains flying across the screen, no, I don't see why that has to be shown.
What do you think happens in real life when a shotgun is fired at close range. Why do think the killer pulled the shower curtain over so as to protect his clothing? Would you prefer some dirty villain? Would you prefer some villain who was too dumb to think of that first.

That was one thing that impressed me in Bullit: the hit men were middle aged and knew enough to use ear plugs before firing shotguns in an enclosed space. Hollywood would normally have used young handsome wannabe stars but in Bullitt they were middle aged capable professional button men.

>It also bugs me when the villain has super-human abilities, same as when the hero is a John Wayne.
Ah but that is the point of the whole movie, they were not super human,,,, just capable, competent professionals doing their jobs. The upper management of the drug cartels may have made errors of judgement but they were capable executives, capable hunters. The book brought it out a little more than the script but it was important how the hunter who encountered the shoot out scene in the desert reacted. He knew there would be a last man standing and that he would take the money. He knew how to track him, what terrain would be selected, etc. Skilled hunter. Foolishly returns to provide drinking water and becomes the hunted. He went hunting trouble and he found it, but he acquits himself well. The skilled professional brought in to find him is just that, a skilled professional but not a super human. Just well trained and alert. A good man tracker.

Thats the difference between the old sheriffs who didn't wear guns because they were dealing with good men and the new sheriffs who are confronted by determined killers.
Page 6 of 6« First<3456