Great Films

Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »
June 25th, 2014 at 11:50:59 PM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
There are films I thoroughly enjoyed (not on the list) at the time. Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7XGaoOlar8&feature=player_detailpage#t=43.

They were well done at the time, but maybe overshadowed by something else. Just not quite in a high enough bracket.

It wouldn't open for me. What was it?
June 26th, 2014 at 12:50:23 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Excalibur.

Seemed to work when I tried it just now. (It might run an ad first, sometimes youtube does that)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 26th, 2014 at 2:35:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Greasyjohn
I can't see why you don't get how great It's a Wonderful Life is. Just a great picture now and forever. Do you really think it's lame?

A problem for me is how many times it has been knocked off or spoofed in sitcoms and other shows. Honestly I have never seen the film, but I have seen the "I wish I had never been born" scenes from so many other shows it is worn out. Though I give an Honorable Mention to "Married, With Children" who did a different kind of take on it.

Come on guys, find a new plot device.
The President is a fink.
June 26th, 2014 at 5:08:02 AM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
A problem for me is how many times it has been knocked off or spoofed in sitcoms and other shows. Honestly I have never seen the film, but I have seen the "I wish I had never been born" scenes from so many other shows it is worn out. Though I give an Honorable Mention to "Married, With Children" who did a different kind of take on it.

Come on guys, find a new plot device.

For years I caught a little bit of it here and there. They usually play the film around the holidays. Don't let the cynics stop you. Once I saw the entire picture--it is a gem.
June 26th, 2014 at 5:57:06 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Watch the movie, AZ. The reason why It's a Wonderful Life is so powerful is because it gives people hope that friends and God will pick you up when things are going terribly wrong.

In Stewart's case, it was the fact that he poured his entire life into his father's business, only to be screwed over by his nemesis. Facing jail and ruination, he decides that life is hopeless and contemplates suicide. During this contemplation, his guardian angel appears, saves him, and shows him what the world would be like without him. He realizes that it's hit friends and family that matter over the money, and his friends and family realize at the same time that it's him rather than the things that he does that have saved him. It all gets married at the end in a very powerful and emotional way.

Brings tears to my eyes every Christmas.
June 26th, 2014 at 5:57:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Greasyjohn
For years I caught a little bit of it here ad there. They usually play the film around the holidays. Don't let the cynics stop you. Once I saw the entire picture--it is a gem.

I know I should watch it sometime just under the premise of movies a guy should see at least once, I just can't force myself to based on how the basic plot has been overdone elsewhere.

As to played around the holidays, I had a relative in Indiana, PA, where Stewart is from. Guy said every year Blockbuster had dozens of copies for rent and they were always 100% rented out. Year after year. I have to wonder how many houses there have a copy?
The President is a fink.
June 26th, 2014 at 5:59:08 AM permalink
boymimbo
Where is "Hunt for Red October" on this list!

Seriously, though, Sixth Sense and Field of Dreams?
June 26th, 2014 at 6:01:31 AM permalink
boymimbo
What's Blockbuster?

The problem with Wonderful Life is that I think it was played once a year on NBC (on Christmas eve I think) and it's laden with so many commercials that it's kind of unwatchable.

It's by far the best Christmas movie.
June 26th, 2014 at 6:58:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: boymimbo
What's Blockbuster?

Some kind of tool The Home Depot rents to remove retaining walls.

Quote:
It's by far the best Christmas movie.

Sorry, I will always say "Die Hard" is best.
The President is a fink.
June 26th, 2014 at 7:00:28 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I saw It's a Wonderful Life once, no need to see it again. It's not worth sitting through the whole high school gym dance scene just to get the wholesome message of redemption. At least I saw it once; I couldn't even get that far with Citizen Kane, and I've tried three times. Society tells me it's great, but I thought it was unwatchable.
Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »