Gun Control

May 21st, 2014 at 9:03:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

Although by "down", it'd likely be a western border town like Bradford. I dunno what "down" means to you. Hell, get my custody mess settled and who knows what I'll do. I just might bug out to Wyoming permanently =p

"Down" means Pittsburgh. Get some land in an outer county. I'll consult on gas rights and in return you can hook me up with some F&B comps at a local joint should you get hired on.

Quote:
In very small towns where walking or four wheeling is how you get from the woods to wherever, it's OK (my definition of OK) to enter a store with a long gun. You need some milk or coffee or a doughnut, then fine. But your gun, if a long gun, should be fit snug on its strap, tight against your back. A cross sling carry, or an elbow carry if you have no strap, are the only appropriate ways, and the gun should be broken or the action open. You're not toting around a long gun in public for SD.

Small towns always handle this better. The shops where hunters come in probably either know the guys or even have a sign about entering with deer rifles. Kids come out of the womb with a rifle in their hands and are taught from an early age how to behave with it.
The President is a fink.
May 21st, 2014 at 6:11:06 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
There are numerous cases. There are also numerous cases of people getting hit by lightning. The rate of home invasions in Canada stands at about 11 in 100,000 homes. Add to that factors of keeping my doors locked at night, keeping lights on outside, living in a safe neighborhood outside of a large urban centre,, and having a burglar alarm operated with a panic button are all deterrent factors which lower those odds.

Most burglars are trying to brean in firstly into homes that are empty and if they run into someone who is home, they will likely terrorize but not kill. For the rare cases of a home invasion that is intentional, first 1/3rd of them are staged by people you know, leaving the other 2/3rds. The remainder aren't precisely random either. You have to present a target and be a fairly easy mark to boot.

That said, we've lived in apartments in Chicago (in the loop) and downtown Hartford and we take the same precautions that we take anywhere else.

And true, we can't own a handgun, and have to keep our longguns locked up. But even if I could own one, I wouldn't. It's cultural. I will say that for those who say "they'll shoot them right where they stand" - there is a probability that you will miss, or that you won't get your handgun in time, or they'll choose to fire first. In other words, there is a definite probability that your plan to kill will backfire and you could end up dead rather than just being tied up.
May 22nd, 2014 at 1:31:09 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: boymimbo

you could end up dead
My point precisely. Moving on from this
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
May 22nd, 2014 at 10:36:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
May 23rd, 2014 at 2:15:58 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
On many issues I'm a hardcore liberal, but on gun control I'm sort of a moderate, middle-of-the-road agnostic. I don't want to ban guns, but I'm ok with a few common sense restrictions.

So here's what I don't understand. Why do the gun rights supporters (including the NRA) endorse legislation allowing guns in bars? This is bad for their image. It makes the NRA look radical and unreasonable. From a public relations standpoint, it's got to be more trouble than it's worth, because surely there are more important legislative battles out there than the great civil rights cause of allowing drunks to carry firearms.

In the old days Anheiser-Busch used to lobby hard against the tough drunk-driving laws, but they finally came to their senses and realized it was in Busch's best interest to discourage drinking & driving. Why isn't the NRA on the same page?
May 23rd, 2014 at 2:29:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: reno
On many issues I'm a hardcore liberal, but on gun control I'm sort of a moderate, middle-of-the-road agnostic. I don't want to ban guns, but I'm ok with a few common sense restrictions.

So here's what I don't understand. Why do the gun rights supporters (including the NRA) endorse legislation allowing guns in bars? This is bad for their image. It makes the NRA look radical and unreasonable. From a public relations standpoint, it's got to be more trouble than it's worth, because surely there are more important legislative battles out there than the great civil rights cause of allowing drunks to carry firearms.

In the old days Anheiser-Busch used to lobby hard against the tough drunk-driving laws, but they finally came to their senses and realized it was in Busch's best interest to discourage drinking & driving. Why isn't the NRA on the same page?

Reading the article it seems a few commonsense restrictions are in place, namely no drinking if you have a gun in a bar. So they are not lobbying for "drunks to carry firearms." Taking it a step further, if the owner, bouncer, or an off-duty cop are in the bar and carrying, absent such a law they could face criminal charges if they were having a Pepsi and stop a robbery.

Basically, the NRA just wants people who go to bars to have the same rights as people who choose to stop at a place that does not serve alcohol. To not allow this is taking away their fundamental human rights. All they want is to live like anyone else.
The President is a fink.
May 23rd, 2014 at 2:47:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
So here's what I don't understand. Why do the gun rights supporters (including the NRA) endorse legislation allowing guns in bars?

I'll take a wild guess and say bans on guns in bars came from direct experience now being ignored by advocates of removing the bans.

You know, some laws are bad because there are so few incidents the problem doesn't warrant the legislation. I'm going to say guns in bars has always led to lots of problems.

I know a lot of sensible people who become un-sensible once they get too much alcohol. People routinely can't judge their own limited judgment, even though they say they can. Proven in driving autos and basically anything involving alcohol.

Your stupid drunk friend buys you two double shots when you thought you were drinking singles. Oh wait, now the sensible person is over the limit he knew he could handle and he has a gun.

What kind of things could happen? Too late.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 23rd, 2014 at 2:56:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
So here's what I don't understand. Why do the gun rights supporters (including the NRA) endorse legislation allowing guns in bars?

I'll take a wild guess and say bans on guns in bars came from direct experience now being ignored by advocates of removing the bans.

I think it is more of a "it might happen" than actual experiences. And as a guess I am going to say the dirty little secret is most "problems" come from hip-hop dance clubs and not the corner bar. Despite this the "against" forces will show the image of two "rednecks" getting into a shootout.

Perhaps EB can weigh in here?
The President is a fink.
May 23rd, 2014 at 3:06:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Perhaps EB can weigh in here?

Never saw a gun in the bar, except the
Colt .45 I had in the drawer. Fights
are always between strangers and a
bar regular. There could have guns
involved if it wasn't S Calif, I guess. They
are totally against guns out there,
especially carrying. You can carry only
if you have a real good cause.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 23rd, 2014 at 4:02:01 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Why do the gun rights supporters (including the NRA) endorse legislation allowing guns in bars?
You're framing the question wrong and missing the entire point. The NRA couldn't care less if people do/don't bring guns into bars. The point is that business owners should be the ones to make that decision, NOT the government.

Kinda like if someone came to my house and acted rude. I have every right to kick that person out for their rude behavior, but I sure has heck don't think the government has any business passing laws saying that people can't be rude in others' homes.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron