Gun Control

June 4th, 2014 at 9:36:32 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: reno
On Friday, the NRA released a statement calling their fast food activism "weird" and noted that the activism had backfired

UPDATE: Nevermind! The NRA is now apologizing for calling Texas' fast food activists "weird."

Chris Cox, the executive director of the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action said, "Now, the truth is, an alert went out that referred to this type of behavior as 'weird', or somehow not normal. And that was a mistake. It shouldn't have happened. I've had a discussion with the staffer who wrote that piece, and expressed his personal opinion. Our job is not to criticize the lawful behavior of fellow gun owners. It was a poor word choice in an alert that went out."
June 4th, 2014 at 9:44:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
On Friday, the NRA released a statement calling their fast food activism "weird" and noted that the activism had backfired

UPDATE: Nevermind! The NRA is now apologizing for calling Texas' fast food activists "weird."

Chris Cox, the executive director of the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action said, "Now, the truth is, an alert went out that referred to this type of behavior as 'weird', or somehow not normal. And that was a mistake. It shouldn't have happened. I've had a discussion with the staffer who wrote that piece, and expressed his personal opinion. Our job is not to criticize the lawful behavior of fellow gun owners. It was a poor word choice in an alert that went out."

One day someone has to explain to me why the NRA is the only activist group that gets blamed when someone commits a crime. If an abortion goes bad and the mother dies nobody blames NOW. Why is the NRA special in this regard?
The President is a fink.
June 4th, 2014 at 9:59:26 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: AZDuffman
One day someone has to explain to me why the NRA is the only activist group that gets blamed when someone commits a crime. If an abortion goes bad and the mother dies nobody blames NOW. Why is the NRA special in this regard?
That has always baffled me as well.

When someone eventually gets run over by a stoned driver in a pro-marijuana state, it will be interesting to see if libs blame
pro-marijuana groups.

Nah, who am I kidding? *facepalm*
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
June 4th, 2014 at 10:03:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Beethoven

When someone eventually gets run over by a stoned driver in a pro-marijuana state, it will be interesting to see if libs blame
pro-marijuana groups.

They will probably blame the SUV.
The President is a fink.
June 4th, 2014 at 10:11:50 AM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: AZDuffman
They will probably blame the SUV.
LOL!
June 5th, 2014 at 12:23:39 AM permalink
Beethoven
RCMP on hunt of gunman Justin Bourque after multiple shootings in Moncton

I guess Canada needs tougher gun control laws.
June 5th, 2014 at 3:35:27 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
There is very little in the conversations on Canadian news about less or more gun control, probably because our airwaves actually work on broadcasting and commenting on news rather than spending hours over hours with left and right spattering out more untruths and flabbergastations to alarm the public.

Gun crime is still very low in Canada. If anything, this will be a call for more gun control rather than the cessation of such. You gotta figure that if he's shooting and killing very well armed and protected RCMP officers, members of the public being armed wouldn't do much better.

Have at it, boys.
June 5th, 2014 at 7:17:31 PM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: boymimbo
Gun crime is still very low in Canada. If anything, this will be a call for more gun control rather than the cessation of such.
But I thought Canada was Utopia and had no gun violence at all because of the great gun control laws there?
June 5th, 2014 at 11:14:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Beethoven
But I thought Canada was Utopia and had no gun violence at all because of the great gun control laws there?

Canada has less people than Calif. They're insignificant.
90% of their population lives less than 100 miles from
the USA. That's a 2 hour drive. We should let them vote
in our elections.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 6th, 2014 at 12:50:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
We should let them vote in our elections.

It's an interesting idea. We have a shared continent and everything from Environmental laws, to finance, to defense almost automatically affects Canadians

The first question is which elections? Do you propose we set up some international organizations like European Parliament that everyone could vote for? Or are you proposing that they have a say in the Presidential Election?

First of all Puerto Rico is going to have something to say about letting Canadians vote without giving them the vote. Then the next question is would they have the same rights as a state where they have the option of putting all their votes for one candidate, or would require them to split votes like Nebraska or Maine.

A proportional share of 435+100 electoral vote would be over 50 for Canada. That's enough votes to potentially determine an election.

And finally would it hinge on moving to a shared currency? Interest in a shared has always remained lukewarm, at best.

==========
I think that one of the most radical voting reform ideas I've ever heard is to give children the vote, but their parents get to choose until the child is 18. The idea is to give more political power to families.

But this idea, I've never heard.