In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 23rd, 2019 at 11:33:33 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I've always been a single blade injector razor guy, and sometimes use the shaving foam. But no one carry's those blades anymore, so I am reduced to buying online. And even at that, the only blades I can find are Shick, which were never my first choice. IIRC, Gillette had a better blade. Quality blades used to produce 3 + good shaves, and really close with the foam to make the blade glide. Ah, those were the days.

Now quality has went down so far, it is hard to get much more than a shave or two from a blade. I have a beard and mustache, but guys that wear that, find it 's harder to shave than just a bald face. The single blades work better than twin blades because they clean better.

So now I am experimenting with electric razors and a blade for touch up. I had a two hundred dollar electric, that for some reason never made it all the way with me when I flew from Anchorage? This latest Norelco occasionally pulls a hair out instead of cutting it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 23rd, 2019 at 12:54:26 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: petroglyph
I've always been a single blade injector razor guy, and sometimes use the shaving foam. But no one carry's those blades anymore, so I am reduced to buying online. And even at that, the only blades I can find are Shick, which were never my first choice. IIRC, Gillette had a better blade. Quality blades used to produce 3 + good shaves, and really close with the foam to make the blade glide. Ah, those were the days.

I am just the opposite of you. I buy twin blade disposable Schick Slim Twins. I like them because they have the push button cleaning and the lubrication strip. I am able to use each one about 8 times before disposing of it,

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 23rd, 2019 at 2:43:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: DRich
I am just the opposite of you. I buy twin blade disposable Schick Slim Twins. I like them because they have the push button cleaning and the lubrication strip. I am able to use each one about 8 times before disposing of it,
I will look for those. I've [we've] been through many kinds of them. So many are built so cheaply they fall apart.

When I was working outside, I didn't shave but about every third day, heck with razor burn hanging out with ugly men. When the hair gets longer, it is easier to clean out with just a single blade, but I'll check those. Thanks.

I sharpen my kitchen knives pretty sharp, and check them by shaving a tiny bit of arm hair. I sometimes wonder what it was like in the old days trying to get a blade sharp enough to shave ?
January 23rd, 2019 at 2:48:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I sharpen my kitchen knives pretty sharp,

I use a Chefs Choice sharpener, the
most highly rated one by by Test Kitchen
people.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 23rd, 2019 at 3:11:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
I use a Chefs Choice sharpener, the
most highly rated one by by Test Kitchen
people.
Thanks.

She said knives can get dull after daily use over months. Mine never stay sharp that long. lol

I might send one of these to my daughter, who struggles for an edge ?

Admittedly, my method is barbaric. Stone and steel.
January 23rd, 2019 at 3:15:44 PM permalink
Evenbob

I might send one of these to my daughter, who struggles for an edge ?

Send her a cheaper Chef's Choice, around
$30. That's plenty good enough.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 23rd, 2019 at 3:25:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
Send her a cheaper Chef's Choice, around
$30. That's plenty good enough.
I've noticed over years how other people in my kitchen or fillet station, will always migrate toward the sharpest knife.
January 23rd, 2019 at 7:26:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Maybe I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I've never sharpened a knife in my life. If I'm too lazy to do it myself, where does one go to sharpen knives?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 23rd, 2019 at 8:08:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
January 23rd, 2019 at 9:13:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
Maybe I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I've never sharpened a knife in my life. If I'm too lazy to do it myself, where does one go to sharpen knives?

Just buy an electric knife sharpener.
It takes all of 30 seconds to sharpen a knife.