In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

September 22nd, 2015 at 7:42:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
That's a lousy 18th birthday.

Quote:
Liquid nitrogen is sometimes added to cocktails to achieve a "smoking" effect, or as a rinse to chill glasses to very low temperatures. But since the element achieves liquid state at extremely cold temperatures (minus 320 degrees Farenheit), it must be allowed to boil off before it can be consumed safely.

Scanlon's friend testified that she'd heard the bartender tell the teen to "drink it while it’s still smoking."

The court heard how Scanlon felt "an explosion" in her stomach four seconds after downing the shot.

Smoke was coming from my nose and mouth. Straight away I knew something was not right," Scanlon said in Preston Crown Court on Thursday.

She had to be rushed to the hospital after the freezing liquid perforated her stomach lining. Scanlon spent three weeks in the hospital, during which she underwent surgery to remove her stomach and connect her esophagus directly to her small bowel, according to the BBC

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gaby-scanlon-liquid-nitrogen_55fc01c5e4b0fde8b0cdcef6
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 22nd, 2015 at 8:11:53 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: rxwine
She almost got away by dying.

OK, I'll play devil's advocate. It's a waste of German taxpayer money and prison space to prosecute a 91 year old for crimes from 60 years ago.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong...
September 22nd, 2015 at 8:22:17 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: reno
OK, I'll play devil's advocate. It's a waste of German taxpayer money and prison space to prosecute a 91 year old for crimes from 60 years ago.

There is a time to let things go. I agree that this is clearly one of those times.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 22nd, 2015 at 9:02:38 PM permalink
rxwine

Well, I know we sometimes release real old people who are really sick, but she's never served a day.

Plenty of people die in prison. We don't release them just because they are old. (or do we?) I think they generally have to be unwell, or considered to serve their time.

But yeah, prosecuting someone this late, is pretty close to throwing money away.

She might live to 105.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 22nd, 2015 at 9:42:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62

Plenty of people die in prison. We don't release them just because they are old. (or do we?) I think they generally have to be unwell, or considered to serve their time.
Rolf Harris is 84, held in a moldy wing of HMP STAFFORD despite his lung condition and was convicted on scandalously inadequate evidence of purely historical sex offenses.
September 22nd, 2015 at 9:50:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

You're 1000% wrong. She was on the wrong
side of the worst mass killings in human
history. I hate to be trite, but it really is
the principle of the thing. New research
is showing as many as 20 million died
in the Nazi camps, much more than the
estimated 12 million. While this is still
in the living memory of millions of
people, it matters. It will matter as
long as there is human memory.

http://www.businessinsider.com/shocking-new-holocaust-study-claims-nazis-killed-up-to-20-million-people-2013-3
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 22nd, 2015 at 9:52:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Fleastiff
Rolf Harris is 84, held in a moldy wing of HMP STAFFORD despite his lung condition and was convicted on scandalously inadequate evidence of purely historical sex offenses.

I didn't see evidence mentioned as a problem in this one.

Aren't the Nazis the ones famous for "I was just following orders" defense? Or in some cases they claim not to noticed anything. Think it'd be pretty hard to actually work in one of those camps and not notice anything.
September 22nd, 2015 at 10:50:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I didn't see evidence mentioned as a problem in this one.

Aren't the Nazis the ones famous for "I was just following orders" defense? .

The Nuremburg Defense. I believe it's no longer
a used as a viable defense, that you committed
a crime because you were ordered to. You still
did the crime, you could have said no.

Many German officers accused of war crimes
in WWI were acquitted using the 'superior
orders' defense. That's why the Nazi's on
trial in 45 were so smug they would get off.

Chief Prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials, later
to be a Supreme Court Justice, had the superior
orders defense made invalid before the trials
began. Sorry, Nazi's..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 23rd, 2015 at 12:31:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
An Army Ranger, who feared his claims of domestic abuse would be ignored, strapped a GoPro to his waist and recorded the proof that led Pinellas County Deputies to arrest his estranged wife on Thursday, 10 News reported.

“This is just one of many instances where I’ve had to use the camera to either prove her guilt or prove my innocence and that’s the only reason I am carrying it,” said Michael, who is identified by 10 News by his first name only because he is a victim of domestic violence.

In an effort to protect himself, Michael has been filming encounters with his ex when he drops off or picks up his 2-year-old twins.

“A GoPro has such a wide angle scope on it,” Michael said. “It catches everything from 5 feet away from the feet to the head.”

And it appeared to catch 37-year-old Corinne Novak grabbing his genitals during a custody exchange last Thursday. Novak was later arrested for domestic battery, according to 10 News.

“We have court coming up, so hopefully it goes to show a little bit of validity to what I’ve been doing and what I’ve been saying and disproving what she’s been saying,” Michael said. “It seems to be overlooked when the man is a victim of domestic violence.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/22/army-ranger-uses-gopro-to-document-domestic-abuse-claim/?cmpid=edpick&google_editors_picks=true

Even before gopro, I've always wondered why people didn't use recording devices more often. Sound recorders, even good digital ones have been around for a long time, especially good for repeated personal disputes.

Even when recording is illegal , if you need allies to believe your side of the story, it's useful at least as something that will convince someone else.
September 23rd, 2015 at 7:18:27 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Evenbob
The Nuremburg Defense. I believe it's no longer
a used as a viable defense, that you committed
a crime because you were ordered to. You still
did the crime, you could have said no.

Many German officers accused of war crimes
in WWI were acquitted using the 'superior
orders' defense. That's why the Nazi's on
trial in 45 were so smug they would get off.

Chief Prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials, later
to be a Supreme Court Justice, had the superior
orders defense made invalid before the trials
began. Sorry, Nazi's..

History is written by the victors EB. If things had turned out differently the pilots and the thousands of people that worked on the A bomb would all be found guilty of war crimes.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin