In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 29th, 2021 at 5:51:42 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Because it is a polling place, not your living room.

Confederate flag-loving AZDuffman thinks people standing in long lines in urban voting locations should be denied food and water.

Can’t imagine why!!!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 29th, 2021 at 6:05:22 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: rxwine
Civil war cannonball still could explode

"140-Yr.-Old Cannonball Kills Civil War Fan" -2008

"Experts suspect White was killed while trying to disarm a 9-inch, 75-pound naval cannonball."
March 29th, 2021 at 6:27:40 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Because it is a polling place, not your living room.

I am not talking about inside. I am talking being in line or on standby outside (which now includes 150 feet radius from the polling entrance). If I am standing in line outside for hours or sitting in my car and somebody delivers me food that should not be a crime.

This legislation is nothing other than trying to make voting more difficult in already difficult locations. (Which this year was even more long and difficult due to COVID)....

They are trying to make it more challenging to vote in urban locations to the point where nobody will be able to. And, they are now making mail in voting more challenging by requing sending copies of ID'S with your ballot. So you have a choice of standing in discomfort for hours or mailing in a ballot and potentially having your identity compromised. This is clearly targeting a certain type of voter.... And, this is meant to protect one party...
March 29th, 2021 at 6:59:19 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
I am not talking about inside. I am talking being in line or on standby outside (which now includes 150 feet radius from the polling entrance). If I am standing in line outside for hours or sitting in my car and somebody delivers me food that should not be a crime.

This legislation is nothing other than trying to make voting more difficult in already difficult locations. (Which this year was even more long and difficult due to COVID)....

They are trying to make it more challenging to vote in urban locations to the point where nobody will be able to. And, they are now making mail in voting more challenging by requing sending copies of ID'S with your ballot. So you have a choice of standing in discomfort for hours or mailing in a ballot and potentially having your identity compromised. This is clearly targeting a certain type of voter.... And, this is meant to protect one party...

You young guys should learn your history. Laws like this were enacted years ago to prevent the 'buying' of votes. Bring everyone into the bar buy them a few drinks in exchange for them going to the polling station and voting for you. When I was young bars still had to be closed on voting day because of the practice. Maybe a bottle of water wouldn't buy you a vote but would a burger do it for a homeless person. Maybe a joint or something a little harder for a druggy.

What would it take to buy your vote? Apparently for a large number of people $2000 was enough.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 29th, 2021 at 7:26:56 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: kenarman
You young guys should learn your history. Laws like this were enacted years ago to prevent the 'buying' of votes. Bring everyone into the bar buy them a few drinks in exchange for them going to the polling station and voting for you. When I was young bars still had to be closed on voting day because of the practice. Maybe a bottle of water wouldn't buy you a vote but would a burger do it for a homeless person. Maybe a joint or something a little harder for a druggy.

What would it take to buy your vote? Apparently for a large number of people $2000 was enough.

I made my terms clear, but nobody met them this election and now it is too late.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 29th, 2021 at 7:38:15 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Gandler

I'm slightly in favor of requiring ID for mail-in voting. You make a fair enough point on the potential for having your identity compromised, but the alternative is a pretty clear and obvious path to potential voter fraud. Why should a person be permitted to mail-in a ballot without proving that the ballot actually belongs to them? Even the copy of the ID doesn't PROVE they filled out the ballot, just that they either filled it out or someone with access to their ID did.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 29th, 2021 at 9:50:02 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
I'm slightly in favor of requiring ID for mail-in voting. You make a fair enough point on the potential for having your identity compromised, but the alternative is a pretty clear and obvious path to potential voter fraud. Why should a person be permitted to mail-in a ballot without proving that the ballot actually belongs to them? Even the copy of the ID doesn't PROVE they filled out the ballot, just that they either filled it out or someone with access to their ID did.

The solution
Make voter fraud an extremely harsh penalty crime.
Give whistleblower rewards for uncovering voter fraud

Prosecute the cheaters and reward the whistleblowers
Problem solved
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 29th, 2021 at 10:01:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
The solution

Problem solved

I'm not really a fan of incentivizing whistleblowing either. In my opinion, requiring ID with the ballot is a reasonable enough prevention mechanism. Anyone overly concerned about the potential for having one's information compromised can physically go to the polls.
March 29th, 2021 at 10:04:20 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
The solution

Problem solved

That already happens. Voter fraud through mail in ballots is easy to catch and usually gets prosecuted.

The most common are people sending more than one ballot or attempting to vote by mail and then in person (or in person multiple times through early voting then election day, etc...)

These are all easy to track and you create your own evidence that will be used against you.

The idea that voter fraud is a huge issue that never gets prosecuted is a fantasy. It rarely happens, and when it does people get charged.

It's just not that big of a problem. Certainly not a big enough problem for archaic rules that are clearly designed to dissuade certain groups from voting (anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves).
March 29th, 2021 at 10:15:26 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
The solution

Problem solved

I would vote for that.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.