In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 13th, 2021 at 3:27:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Senator Ron Johnson just announced he's a racist.
Link?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 13th, 2021 at 4:51:41 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
Link?

Its not an obscure story only Tyler Durden is writing about
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 13th, 2021 at 5:34:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Its not an obscure story only Tyler Durden is writing about
So, you are just making it up?

https://libertarianinstitute.org/articles/how-partisan-politics-rots-your-brain/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 13th, 2021 at 8:14:10 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: petroglyph

WTF does the above have anything to do with Ron Johnson being a racist
I heard what he said
I dont have to make anything up
He's a racist
Here is the source
His own words. How else do you judge if a person is a racist. You listen to what they have to say and determine if that person is a racist.
https://youtu.be/kBp6-hvdlNs
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 14th, 2021 at 4:52:37 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
WTF does the above have anything to do with Ron Johnson being a racist
I heard what he said
I dont have to make anything up
He's a racist
Here is the source
His own words. How else do you judge if a person is a racist. You listen to what they have to say and determine if that person is a racist.
https://youtu.be/kBp6-hvdlNs
That black lives matter is a fine sentiment, one that people of other pigmentation sometimes need to hear. But 'Black Lives Matter' is an organization. We need to be able to criticize it without being called racist. This is easy to forget when the mainstream media have elevated them to a 'cannot criticize' category. The man says he wouldn't feel safe near a BLM or Antifa riot, is that a crazy statement?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 14th, 2021 at 5:47:49 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
That black lives matter is a fine sentiment, one that people of other pigmentation sometimes need to hear. But 'Black Lives Matter' is an organization. We need to be able to criticize it without being called racist. This is easy to forget when the mainstream media have elevated them to a 'cannot criticize' category. The man says he wouldn't feel safe near a BLM or Antifa riot, is that a crazy statement?

If a white man attacks the capitol he is not scared
If a Black man does the SAME EXACT ACTION as BLM, he is scared
Racism
Its absurd. How can you be OK with a Trumper attacking a capitol police officer. Its a crime regardless of the politics of the offender
This is the same reason why some Police kill blacks and not whites
March 14th, 2021 at 7:16:27 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Racism
Its absurd. How can you be OK with a Trumper attacking a capitol police officer. Its a crime regardless of the politics of the offender

I'm going to have to agree with Terapined on this one that the framing of Johnson's position was very poor and it was a pretty dumb statement for him to make.

What I would keep in mind is that Black Lives Matter, as an organization, is unlikely to ever promote violent protests. I should think that they will continue to promote loud, but peaceful, protest. That said, there have been acts of violence and property destruction at many of their more publicized events, but I don't think any such violence or destruction was supported by the group as a whole.

Essentially, you have to separate the people who are engaging in these sorts of acts from the rest of (and majority of) the group or organization unless you can prove otherwise. That's just as true for the Capitol protesters. I would imagine that the majority of them did not storm the Capitol Building, did not assail Capitol police officers and did not engage in any other illegal activities whatsoever. Same thing with the BLM protests, I imagine the majority of protesters at the majority of events did not engage in any illegal activities.

Regardless of race, a person either commits a violent and/or illegal act or a person does not. Therefore, it is best not to attempt to distinguish between different groups of protesters in any way whatsoever---the only thing that should be distinguished are the individuals who commit acts of violence or property destruction from the individuals who do not.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 14th, 2021 at 8:04:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Racism
The "attack" on the Capitol is not what it is portrayed to be, I would not have been scared either. Having said that, I condemn and deplore anybody who actively attacked structures or police or who chanted about hanging people. The very idea that the Capitol was subject to such a thing is truly horrible, although I for one blame the authorities for not being ready for it in the face of good intelligence.

I still say it is likely many of the bad actors, the one breaking windows, doors, and skulls were Antifa. Admittedly, the ones who were caught were not! [+ one BLM guy I think]. But these dudes were so unaccustomed to how-to's of protest they ignored all the cameras and walked around showing their unmasked faces to those cameras, used credit cards to eat and travel, etc. Meanwhile plenty of people remain unknown. The guy who planted the bombs at other buildings, he was certainly smarter. All they have to go on is they've figured out what shoes he was wearing. How much you want to bet he was Antifa?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 14th, 2021 at 9:26:29 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
The "attack" on the Capitol is not what it is portrayed to be, I would not have been scared either. Having said that, I condemn and deplore anybody who actively attacked structures or police or who chanted about hanging people. The very idea that the Capitol was subject to such a thing is truly horrible, although I for one blame the authorities for not being ready for it in the face of good intelligence.

I still say it is likely many of the bad actors, the one breaking windows, doors, and skulls were Antifa. Admittedly, the ones who were caught were not! [+ one BLM guy I think]. But these dudes were so unaccustomed to how-to's of protest they ignored all the cameras and walked around showing their unmasked faces to those cameras, used credit cards to eat and travel, etc. Meanwhile plenty of people remain unknown. The guy who planted the bombs at other buildings, he was certainly smarter. All they have to go on is they've figured out what shoes he was wearing. How much you want to bet he was Antifa?

In any case, the bottom line is that the problem is media sensationalism of everything, which, of course, makes total sense from a business standpoint if the goal is to draw eyes and advertising dollars. I also think we should avoid language such as, "Truly horrible," though I guess it doesn't really matter for something as small as this forum. There are very few things in my opinion that are, "Truly horrible," or even horrible at all, because very few things actually matter very much at all. Twenty years from now, the, 'Attack,' on the Capitol might get two sentences in a middle or high school history book. It's basically irrelevant to anything.

Antifa is not a centralized group with any fixed leadership, it's just an abstraction that was created so that people would have a convenient concept to decry and a faction that people could be accused of being a part of...even though there is no official faction of any sort. I just say that it's 100% likely that those engaged in violence or the destruction of property, regardless of color, political ilk or group membership, are criminals and that's good enough for me. The first thing to do is separate the criminals from everyone else, regardless of what, 'Group,' people want to claim the criminals represent. In reality, they don't represent any group...regardless of what comes out of their mouths.

I mean, even the concept of, 'Antifa,' is short for, "Anti-Fascist." I'm opposed to the concept of Fascism, does that make me Antifa?

If the problem is to be fixed, then you would want to give MORE media time to protests that remain 100% peaceful and talk about those, but that's never going to happen because your average citizen isn't really concerned with what people have to say in a peaceable environment.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
March 14th, 2021 at 9:44:34 AM permalink
terapined
The "attack" on the Capitol is not what it is portrayed to be,

WTF
I watched actual videos of Trumper protestors attacking the police
Its not a portrayal. Should I post videos

I still say it is likely many of the bad actors, the one breaking windows, doors, and skulls were Antifa.

BS
Biggest fake news story of the year
Lets blame Antifa for the Trumpers riot. ROTFL