In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 8th, 2020 at 4:39:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If you want a possible non-police approach, I was trying to think of any area of the country which has at least above average primary and secondary schools which has a inner city crime problem like Chicago. Couldn't think of one.

I'd wager most of these high crime areas have overall subpar or even atrocious education for the young. Maybe they have some excellent colleges nearby, but you need something earlier than that.

Is there a real correlation. I don't know. But I couldn't think of a single place with a great district for early education that is also a high crime area.

Some of them may have an exceptional school, but it's hardly enough for the population.

People who think all this can come from local investment in poor areas must not know as much as they think about economics.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 8th, 2020 at 4:45:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
I'd wager most of these high crime areas have overall subpar or even atrocious education for the young. .

Flint Mi is a good example of no
cops. In many neighborhoods
they never show up at all. It's
why you see all the houses on street
after street with bars on all the
windows and doors, even the tiny
basement windows. Thieves know
they can walk in and take their
time and the cops will never show
up no matter how often you dial 911.

It's a Lib paradise..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 8th, 2020 at 4:45:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Only that many? They will be racing for the doors at this rate. Pelosi wants to make it easy to sue cops personally. Who will take such a job?
I just grabbed a couple quotes. I've posted before, my kid works for the troopers up north, they've had a standing request to hire 240 troopers for a long time, way before this. It's a six figure job and really not that hard. Good benefits, early retirement, etc.

People don't want to take that job, even at that price. At what price will someone stand there and let people spit on them? It is a small percentage of cops that are bad, we all know that. It's silly to think privatizing protection will be better or cheaper. We are actually getting police, and military the same way, on credit. If policing were to go private, contractors will want to be paid up front. Imagine having to pay for police, the way the USPS has to pay for delivering mail with funding retirements 75 years into the future.

In many ways, the only way [mostly the left] has gotten away with acting how they do, is because someone was willing to stand between them and hostile forces. Remove the blue line and there may be some surprises.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 8th, 2020 at 4:53:02 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Only that many? They will be racing for the doors at this rate. Pelosi wants to make it easy to sue cops personally. Who will take such a job?

Doctors?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 8th, 2020 at 5:00:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Mission146

Mission. As far as SOME Federal control I'm all for it. If we let the states run everything Kansas will be teaching evolution as a hoax. And lots of other peculiarities. If we're all going to authorize major changes in history, or be wrong or right about it, let's do it all together, not piecemeal.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 8th, 2020 at 5:04:03 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Mission. As far as SOME Federal control I'm all for it. If we let the states run everything Kansas will be teaching evolution as a hoax. And lots of other peculiarities. If we're all going to authorize major changes in history, or be wrong or right about it, let's do it all together, not piecemeal.

Kansas can teach whatever it wants to teach, though one might argue teaching anything religion-related in public schools fails the First Amendment test.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 8th, 2020 at 5:25:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Kansas can teach whatever it wants to teach, though one might argue teaching anything religion-related in public schools fails the First Amendment test.

If people want to teach their kids the Earth is flat, and math is a clever delusion, they can do it at home. There's enough unofficial nonsense already.
June 8th, 2020 at 5:27:44 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
If people want to teach their kids the Earth is flat, and math is a clever delusion, they can do it at home. There's enough unofficial nonsense already.

As can private schools. But, the state or localities should make decisions vis-a-vis public education standards, not the Federal Government, unless what is being taught clearly conflicts with the Constitution...which teaching religion in taxpayer-funded schools does.
June 8th, 2020 at 5:28:03 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

Religion can only be taught in the abstract sense (not in a proztylaying way).

I think all religions should be taught because it will show the mirrors and how silly they are.
June 8th, 2020 at 5:37:12 PM permalink
rxwine
But, the state or localities should make decisions vis-a-vis public education standards, not the Federal Government,.

I don't see why many standards aren't the same. Reading, writing arithmetic for one. You shouldn't receive accreditation if you're teaching falsehoods.
Why start kids out with misinformation? It's a disservice. Like I said, let them be taught falsehoods at home. Don't sanction it at any level officially.