In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 8th, 2020 at 1:58:11 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC
Private police forces are not immune from the issues being brought to the fore at this point:

"In many cases, the data seemed to confirm the community’s suspicions about racial profiling and harassment. The Chicago Reporter found that in the ten months after the data on field interviews was released, Black people made up over ninety percent of the stops but less than sixty percent of the population within the jurisdiction."

https://southsideweekly.com/the-fight-over-chicagos-largest-private-police-force-university-of-chicago-ucpd/

I have to ask on this the same thing Limbaugh asked 25 or so years ago. Namely, are they giving more reason to be pulled over?

The case in question with Limbaugh was so-claimed racial profiling on the NJ Turnpike IIRC. When they actually audited it guess what? Blacks were speeding more than whites and were not being pulled over for "driving while black" but actual speeding or other traffic infractions.

So, I would wonder are blacks more likely to have expired registration? Taillights out or other flaws? Are they "cruising" more or doing something else to warrant a stop?

Is there gang activity such that it warrants stops of blacks in cars?
The President is a fink.
June 8th, 2020 at 1:59:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
But
Competition spurs improvement

I don't know if private security will work better, but the righties here aren't addressing why they have stopped believing in competition and the free market.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 8th, 2020 at 2:04:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Will the new private police get to do asset seizure's like the current police?

The police dept. or the new police can be self funding, plus while they are taking money from all passer's by, they can take a little extra for their retirements.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 8th, 2020 at 2:04:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
I don't know if private security will work better, but the righties here aren't addressing why they have stopped believing in competition and the free market.

Because policing is not a "market." It is not supposed to even be revenue raising. What will happen in Minneapolis is what always happens. Democrats will pander to their black voter base. They will vote something in that the well off in the city will deal with one way or another. The black voter base will live in even worse conditions. The elected leaders will blame "racism" and get re-elected. Then it will repeat.

I still say part of this "defund" thing is to reverse gentrification.
The President is a fink.
June 8th, 2020 at 2:10:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Because policing is not a "market." It is not supposed to even be revenue raising. What will happen in Minneapolis is what always happens. Democrats will pander to their black voter base. They will vote something in that the well off in the city will deal with one way or another. The black voter base will live in even worse conditions. The elected leaders will blame "racism" and get re-elected. Then it will repeat.

I still say part of this "defund" thing is to reverse gentrification.

Woohoo, healthcare shouldn't be a market either.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 8th, 2020 at 2:14:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Woohoo, healthcare shouldn't be a market either.

Sure it should! I want to be able to pick the doctor I choose and get the treatment I choose. Not be told what the government allows.

Why on earth should healthcare not be a market?
The President is a fink.
June 8th, 2020 at 2:15:09 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
The insanity is amazing.

--take away as many gun rights as possible

--de-fund the police who are supposed to help protect us from criminals

Stupid...why not make the police better? Simple...it isn't quick, easy, or a good chant.

...and stop committing crimes if you can do so...
June 8th, 2020 at 2:54:30 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This is bizarre land.

Never would I think so many leftists would support private police....

"Private Prisons = bad because of poor accountability and cost saving measures, and less oversight (I agree).
Private Militaries= bad because of no accountability and profit motive (I agree).
Private Police = good because it will save money and they will be more accountable? (I fail to see the logic in either)... "
Its such a subversion of traditional leftist thought, that I don't even understand what is going on right now.... Privatize all police across the country? I feel like this year is turning into a bad dream.....

Private prison have Correctional Officers that have the same certifications as Government Correctional Officers and same powers (apparently this argument is being used to show that Private Police will have the same training).

Honestly if Private Policing does become widespread I will probably go to the Police Academy on my own expense and move to some wealthy suburb to work as a private cop, probably great money for little work. If you think that poor communities will get the same level of attention (who will pay for them) you are mistaken. Gangs will run the inner cities and nobody will pay for patrols....

Universities are a poor example, even in the cases where they are private forces. Its not the same as a city or a country.
South Africa is the best large scale example, and nobody would want to move there voluntarily (well actually I have considered it for private police contracts, but that is another story), nobody would want to live there.... Its being torn apart.... And, now with the land seizing its even worse than ever....

I simply don't understand how anyone on the left can support abolishing all police and making neighborhoods hire private patrols..... This is usually an argument from the far right (libertarians)…..
June 8th, 2020 at 2:57:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Sure it should! I want to be able to pick the doctor I choose and get the treatment I choose. Not be told what the government allows.

Why on earth should healthcare not be a market?

It's a security issue. Saving life or limb should be provided by the government from everyone's taxes for all ages. All other healthcare can be optional at one's expense.
June 8th, 2020 at 3:02:19 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
This is bizarre land.

Never would I think so many leftists would support private police....

I take each issue separately
I sometimes agree with the right
Against reparations
Against 15.00 min wage
For a balance budget. Unfortunately conservatives no longer support this.
I don't believe in heckling Trump at a rally. The wizard actually offered me money to heckle Trump but I declined. The people at a rally came to listen to Trump, not me. It was pretty funny that the room at the Tampa bay convention center was only a 1/4 filled. Next rally was at the smaller exhibition hall at the State Fairgrounds just outside of Tampa
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"