In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 8th, 2020 at 1:03:07 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
Look at South Africa for the Private Security example. High crime.
Private Security have more personell than police and military combined.... After apartheid the defense force was dissolved....
People want the same for America....

Not a good model.

https://youtu.be/pKGzw8GROf0

Look at US universities
It works
Look at housing projects and low income buildings
It works
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_police_in_the_United_States
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 8th, 2020 at 1:04:28 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
He has me blocked. Ask him where he read they will cut taxes in the same amount. Then listen for crickets.

They won't taxes, some cities (NY and LA) to list large examples. Are going to shift 100+ million from their police departments for "social services and support for communities of color" .... Sad.....

Its basically local reparations (that is how it is being phrased by many). I would never live in a city with a major crime problem (Like Minneapolis) where they are getting rid of local police, its going to be chaos....

Madness has consumed the left to the point where Trump may actually get my vote for being right on this issue alone. At least Biden kind of redeemed himself by calling the idea foolish (not an exact quote). This is the first time in modern history I have seen so many American cities give in to mob rule (literally in many cases).... Strange and sad....
June 8th, 2020 at 1:07:18 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: terapined
Look at US universities
It works
Look at housing projects and low income buildings
It works
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_police_in_the_United_States

Universites are poor examples. They are small populations of people paying to be there. (Also most public university police are real gov police....)

But, private universities have been shown to erupt into chaos for simply having an unpopular speaker on campus and the power to do very little... Unless private police have full arrest and citation power, they will be useless as a primary force in a city....
June 8th, 2020 at 1:12:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
They won't taxes, some cities (NY and LA) to list large examples. Are going to shift 100+ million from their police departments for "social services and support for communities of color" .... Sad.....

Its basically local reparations (that is how it is being phrased by many). I would never live in a city with a major crime problem (Like Minneapolis) where they are getting rid of local police, its going to be chaos....

Madness has consumed the left to the point where Trump may actually get my vote for being right on this issue alone. At least Biden kind of redeemed himself by calling the idea foolish (not an exact quote). This is the first time in modern history I have seen so many American cities give in to mob rule (literally in many cases).... Strange and sad....

What you are seeing right now is the left showing what they actually believe. They hide what they really believe unless the odds are very in their favor, which at the moment they think they are. Biden will probably soften his stance and offer support when some power players tell him what is what and who works for who.
The President is a fink.
June 8th, 2020 at 1:17:52 PM permalink
terapined
Universites are poor examples. They are small populations of people paying to be there. (Also most public university police are real gov police....)

But, private universities have been shown to erupt into chaos for simply having an unpopular speaker on campus and the power to do very little... Unless private police have full arrest and citation power, they will be useless as a primary force in a city....

From Wikipedia

"In Utah, if privately owned colleges or universities are certified by the commissioner of public safety, they are allowed to have a law enforcement agency with officers being granted the same law enforcement authority as any other public law enforcement agency (police department).[14]
In Arizona, privately owned colleges that offer bachelor's degrees, and have at least one dormitory, may employ a security police force. These officers have full police powers on the property of the University and must meet all certification and training requirements as established by the state. The law also indemnifies the state of any liability associated with 'acting or failing to act', and instead, places the financial responsibility on the respective college or university.[15]"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 8th, 2020 at 1:18:57 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
What insurance company will write insurance for theft and other things in a city that descends into chaos without proper law enforcement? Insurance will get more expensive, private police forces will be more expensive (oh...wait...don't the libbies rightfully dislike private prisons? Not that I like them...they need proper oversight), people will not get the protection they need from the criminal element, etc.

Defunding police departments completely is a moronic idea. I listened to the council person from Minneapolis. Of course her neighbors are concerned about losing police protection. Duh.

Good luck to whoever goes first.

Reforming the police in many ways is necessary but it gets lost in the stupidity of ideas that won't help.
June 8th, 2020 at 1:28:13 PM permalink
Gandler
From Wikipedia

"In Utah, if privately owned colleges or universities are certified by the commissioner of public safety, they are allowed to have a law enforcement agency with officers being granted the same law enforcement authority as any other public law enforcement agency (police department).[14]
In Arizona, privately owned colleges that offer bachelor's degrees, and have at least one dormitory, may employ a security police force. These officers have full police powers on the property of the University and must meet all certification and training requirements as established by the state. The law also indemnifies the state of any liability associated with 'acting or failing to act', and instead, places the financial responsibility on the respective college or university.[15]"

Are you against private prisons?
June 8th, 2020 at 1:36:02 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Private police forces are not immune from the issues being brought to the fore at this point:

"In many cases, the data seemed to confirm the community’s suspicions about racial profiling and harassment. The Chicago Reporter found that in the ten months after the data on field interviews was released, Black people made up over ninety percent of the stops but less than sixty percent of the population within the jurisdiction."

https://southsideweekly.com/the-fight-over-chicagos-largest-private-police-force-university-of-chicago-ucpd/
June 8th, 2020 at 1:39:07 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: RonC
Private police forces are not immune from the issues being brought to the fore at this point:

But
Competition spurs improvement
June 8th, 2020 at 1:50:06 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
There will be law enforcement
Either people pay the police with taxes or they pay for private security with the tax savings
I would like to see the private security experiment so we have a comparison
Right now police have no competition. No incentive to get better
Now there is incentive to raise the bar or you lose tax dollars or you lose the business to another business

Explain to me what 'private security force' you will have on the road when ANYONE decides that your RV is their RV?

You actually think 'private security' will respect citizen's rights MORE than a publicly funded police department?

And I'm sure the poor will use all their extra disposable income to hire these 'private security' guys?

The only part of your comment that might make any sense is the "No incentive to get better" part. I believe if the 3 other cops that did not have their knee on Floyd's neck do hard time, that will be a HUGE incentive for the cop on the beat to not turn the other way when a rogue cop like Chauvin does something heinous.

I'm surprised someone on the left didn't go at it this way..... "10% of all police budgets must go to racial sensitivity training, 10% to community outreach programs, etc...." There is NO realistic alternative to a police department in an area where there are lots of criminals, like any US city.