Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

October 3rd, 2019 at 12:03:06 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
Quote: rxwine
Salmon population in Canada has been declining, resulting in starving grisly bears.

I camped out in Northern Idaho once
The berry season was late
Many people warned me about hungry bears
My friend gave me a gun to sleep with in my tent
Another scoffed at a gun, said I needed a knife. He said when the bear comes into the tent, grab that knife and slice a hole in other side and get out. lol

That reminds of a week long remote wilderness canoe trip I was on years ago. A sow and 2 cubs invaded our camp after we had gone to be in our tents one night. My friend and his city raised girl started arguing about the tent door. She wanted it zippered to keep the bears out he wanted it unzippered so he could get the hell out in hurry. It was quite funny listening to them. My wife asked me what to do if the bear all of a sudden came into our tent. I said slide down into the bag and play dead. My 4 year old son who was also in the double sleeping bag with us was all of sudden sideways at the bottom of the bag. Funny afterwards but I was a little worried at the time since we were about 12 hours of hard paddling from any help.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 3rd, 2019 at 12:05:06 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: kenarman
She wanted it zippered to keep the bears out

Just throw the whole girl out.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 3rd, 2019 at 2:36:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
IMO, that bear photo has been taken out of context fwiw. I think that is a teenage bear that has just woken from hibernation and that is what it looks like when they first come out of the den from sleeping 5 months. It's hair looks good and full, no patches missing so it's not sick or dying, like it would be if it was starving. The first thing bears eat when they wake up is grass, mainly because that's all there is when they wake up to eat. Look at the back drop in this picture. Even the grass hasn't turned green yet. It appears as though this photo was taken from the surf and that is kelp laying on the sand iianm? The bear is going to dig clams, and they are deep in the spring when it's still cold, or maybe he's headed for another dead whale washed up on the beach?

Take another picture of this same bear in 3-4 months, it will be a fine looking adult bear when it fills out after months of consuming 40k calories per day.

Another thing, not all bears eat fish. Inland bears in the Brookes range never have access to salmon, and there are some species of black bears in SE Ak, that don't eat fish. So, I think this photo was shopped to make a point. That bear will be fine.

On the BC coast, I read they had a herring failure for the last few years which eventually would be very bad for salmon and bears. And some species of salmon have good and bad years, pink salmon return mostly on even numbered years. Although Kodiak had a lousy sockeye return, the pinks almost overran the island, pinks come after sockeyes. I'm sure there are still plenty of Kodiak grizzly's to be a PITA.

edit; Maybe I'm all ****ed up? I found where that photo was taken from: https://people.com/pets/grizzly-bears-starving-in-canada-due-to-decreasing-salmon-population-amid-climate-change/

Click on it and scroll down to the sow and cubs the author is talking about, they look fine, and the grass is all green.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 3rd, 2019 at 2:50:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I did look around for an article countering that they weren't really starving. All I could find was the polar bear controversy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 11th, 2019 at 11:28:53 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: ams288
Greta will get a Nobel Prize.
Donny won’t.

Quote: terapined
The future Noble prize winner just gave Trump the stink eye

Greta Thunberg Snubbed for Nobel Peace Prize

Quote:
The Nobel Committee has surprised oddsmakers by not picking 16-year-old Greta Thunberg to win the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize.

The five-member Norwegian panel instead announced on Friday that Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed had won the award, "for his efforts to achieve peace and international cooperation, and for in particular his decisive initiative to resolve the border conflict with neighboring Eritrea," a statement said.

Maybe next year /s

MAGA (don't click here)
Let's go Brandon
October 11th, 2019 at 12:22:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I missed the earlier discussion. How does being a whiny little spoiled brat rich kid qualify one to be in consideration for the peace prize exactly?
The President is a fink.
October 11th, 2019 at 1:04:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman

I missed the earlier discussion. How does being a whiny little spoiled brat rich kid qualify one to be in consideration for the peace prize exactly?

Yes, but we're not talking about Trump.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 11th, 2019 at 1:06:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Yes, but we're not talking about Trump.

Yes what?

Well, Obama won for just not being Bush.

Trump is ending wars and thus might have qualification.
The President is a fink.
October 11th, 2019 at 1:12:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Talk about a flash in the pan.
I like the video where she has
no prepared notes. She's a
bigger dummy than Obama
without a teleprompter.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 11th, 2019 at 4:02:52 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6

Because liberal cockroaches around the world love her lol